What's new

This “Twisted Bacon” Technique Is the Secret to Perfect Bacon!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Say Whatttt! This 'hack' would also be great as a 'garnish' for Bloody Mary's.
proxy.php

By Noami Tomky - Food News - 22 Apr 21

"The result — as the video promised — was basically the platonic ideal of bacon texture. And even better, 14 slices of it at once. I’m guessing something about the twisting allowed for air to flow through the bacon, so that even where it touched other pieces, it still crisped up. It also didn’t give you that dry, crumbly crispiness of overcooked bacon, because it sat nestled into the pan with all the rendered fat.

When I put the bacon on the plate, I realized another advantage of the method: I poured off the bacon grease into the jar, tossed out the parchment paper and the pan was nearly spotless already. As I finished pouring the milk in the kitchen for breakfast, I heard my daughters sneaking bacon slices from the plate and for once I didn’t have to make sure they didn’t eat it all before their parents got any. The bacon glut made everyone happy — particularly the slices that were rolled less tightly. I suspect the wide roll helped with that airflow that creates the good texture.

After breakfast, we all sat staring at the bacon plate for a new and different reason: for the first time since my kids discovered the magic of crispy morning meat, we had leftover bacon

My Family Has a Bacon Problem (There’s Never Enough);

My family generally cooks bacon on the stove in our big cast iron skillet. It comfortably fits six pieces. If we add more, they stop laying flat, and the fat doesn’t all render properly. We used to try to do it in the oven, but ours takes forever to heat up, and even then it doesn’t read the temperature properly.

To help ameliorate the oven issue in general, we recently added a toaster oven to our appliance arsenal. Making bacon in the toaster oven is great, but the quarter sheet pans that fit into it, frustratingly, have the exact same six-slice capacity as the skillet. Once I tried to sneak two extra slices on, they all touched each other, and came out flabby. I gave up — we would just resign ourselves to a family stare-off over the last two slices of bacon forever.

Then this post came up on Instagram from Al Dente Diva (who got the idea from @lowcardstateofmind who got the idea from @house.of.keto). The video bragged that this trick would give your bacon the best possible texture, saying, “It’s like crispy and chewy in the middle.” But I saw something different: a way to cook way more bacon than we ever could before without losing the crispy result.

How to Make Twisted Bacon;

This technique couldn’t be easier. You simply twist slices of bacon and lay them next to each other on a parchment paper-lined sheet tray. I was able to get 14 slices of bacon on my tray, and I twisted some tighter than others to play around with what worked best. All the videos I watched were vague on timing and temperature. I used my trusty toaster oven for this technique, and started at 350°F for 10 minutes, then turned it up to 400°F for 10 more, then to 450°F for a final 5. Next time I’ll do 425°F for 14 minutes with convection. [...]".

1619215343980.png

Before;

1619215395701.png

After;

View / Read More: Twisted Bacon

:a23:"A day without bacon is a day without sunshine". CBJ

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 Going to try, for sure.

We do the cold oven method... Ten minutes at 400.

But this would fit more slices...

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Cold oven? Splain.

🤔 Superior method until now...

Line a pan with foil.

Lay strips of bacon side by side. It won't make the whole pound...

Place in stone cold oven, turn to 400.

Check at 8 minutes. Flip strips.

Maybe two-three more minutes.

No splatter, and easy cleanup - toss the foil.

(Thinking with twist, can get the whole pound in)

AA

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Baconistas:
For a smoky, salty, sweet, sharp, pungent and piquant (to name a few flavors), taste,..sprinkle a mixture of brown sugar, dry mustard, cinnamon, nutmeg and a 'dash' of cayenne pepper to your bacon after 'twisting'. 🥓

:a23:"Bacon is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy". Benjamin Franklin

Last edited:
you know, a pencil or a straw would make it really easy to 'twist' the bacon, and then you could slide it off onto the baking sheet. maybe a bit of oil on it to make it easiest?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Baconistas:
For a smoky, salty, sweet, sharp, pungent and piquant (to name a few flavors), taste,..sprinkle a mixture of brown sugar, dry mustard, cinnamon, nutmeg and a 'dash' of cayenne pepper to your bacon after 'twisting'. 🥓

:a23:"Bacon is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy". Benjamin Franklin

I've had and done that (or something like it) many times. Pig Candy.

I've never thought about just doing bacon plain and twisted, though. That sounds worth a try.

Maiden voyage this a.m. Turned out quite nice but took some oven time: 10 mins @400f (flaccid little fat sticks), another 12 @400 = (close but no cheroot); 6 mins at 425 (lookin’ good) but we like ‘em a bit more crispy so 2 final minutes @450 seals the deal. Total time 30 minutes.
1619374681293.jpeg
Thanks to the OP for introducing us to cool new “twist” on bacon prep 😊

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
you know, a pencil or a straw would make it really easy to 'twist' the bacon, and then you could slide it off onto the baking sheet. maybe a bit of oil on it to make it easiest?

Frankly, that sounds like a more complicated and difficult way to get to the same place. Twisting bacon is pretty quick and easy.

Maiden voyage this a.m. Turned out quite nice but took some oven time: 10 mins @400f (flaccid little fat sticks), another 12 @400 = (close but no cheroot); 6 mins at 425 (lookin’ good) but we like ‘em a bit more crispy so 2 final minutes @450 seals the deal. Total time 30 minutes.

Thanks for the heads-up! I see a pound of bacon in our oven soon.

While I haven't done bacon just like this, I have baked it in the oven plain & flat, and I've done the "pig candy" mentioned above. It always does seem to take longer than expected. However, what it takes in time is worth the lack of mess and effort. My personal guideline is that I always use the skillet if it's only 1 skillet load, and I might use the skillet for 2 skillet loads (depends on everything else going on), but anything more than that goes in the oven.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I have to try this! My previous "feed a family" tactic was to use a large cast-iron camp dutch oven over the coals, and put in five pounds of sliced bacon. Keep it moving gently and eventually it will separate and all cook, more like deepfry. Then fish it out and whistle up the troops.

Half the reason for cooking bacon is to get rendered bacon fat.

O.H.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Oven yes. Cold start 400 but time depends on the thickness of the bacon. . . twisting seems like too much work but I'm sure it turns out well.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Baconistas:

I did this. Cold oven, 425, twist 'em up, season and...

BACON OF THE GODS!!!!

20210507_130023.jpg

It did cook for another two minutes after flipping.

The brown sugar and "Slap Yo Mama" seasoning can be seen.

Pig Candy, indeed. Better believe I saved the sweet grease to fry hash browns!

🤔 The internet does once again make our life richer.... Many thanks, @The Count of Merkur Cristo

AA

Last edited:

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I did this. Cold oven, 425, twist 'em up, season and...

BACON OF THE GODS!!!!

View attachment 1263355

It did cook for another two minutes after flipping.

The brown sugar and "Slap Yo Mama" seasoning can be seen.

Pig Candy, indeed. Better believe I saved the sweet grease to fry hash browns!

🤔 The internet does once again make our life richer.... Many thanks, @The Count of Merkur Cristo

AA
Mike:
Thanx for the
Shout-out.jpg
, support and for sharing! :thumbsup:

1620770147184.png
"Knowledge of [bacon] is the doorway to wisdom". Roger Bacon

We did this last weekend for bloody Mary's. Works great, we already do the bake bacon method so it wasn't to different. It's bacon, so naturally it will be great l.

Top Bottom