What's new

Fenix Lights and Lasers on our Lizard Tongues.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This election taught me, a sense of humor might be all we have left.
My friend, well, never mind. Let's just say Texas is still on my list for a retirement home, but if the politics get like Hawaii I might as well do the hula.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
My friend, well, never mind. Let's just say Texas is still on my list for a retirement home, but if the politics get like Hawaii I might as well do the hula.

Hold on now. You Scott and me already agreed to you wearing a tutu with a dancing bear! We didn't agree to a grass skirt!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hold on now. You Scott and me already agreed to you wearing a tutu with a dancing bear! We didn't agree to a grass skirt!
Ok. You're right. A man is only as good as his word, even if he's wearing a dress. I'll just bring a whole bunch of like minded voters to move with me to Texas. Lol, maybe I'll be the next Sam Houston.

OkieStubble

Ok. You're right. A man is only as good as his word, even if he's wearing a dress. I'll just bring a whole bunch of like minded voters to move with me to Texas. Lol, maybe I'll be the next Sam Houston.

I'm going to travel to Texas one day and do some sight seeing. I want to see the Grand Canyon of Texas. Of course, it's just a small line drawn in the earth, compared to the Grand Canyon in Arizona. :)

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Thanks for the kind words my friend. I like you too! :)

Old School really does work. And when it comes to doing what we do for a living, it might even be MORE logical and tactically beneficial, over having a new fangled, attached weaponlight, that we see on many officers duty pistols now. Let me explain. :)

There are a few intricate details, I have learned and noticed in my time, about lasers and lights underneath pistols, that you may have already noticed also my friend, with the amount of time you have spent and put in, looking for bad people in the dark.

If someone just puts a laser only, with no light; 2 inches below their muzzle, they can use the adjustment screws that come with that laser, to adjust the laser dot to point of aim with the barrel. Yes, I know this is elementary knowledge and easily picked up on and noticed. Please bare with me, as I am going somewhere with this obvious observation. :)

However, many lasers underneath pistols, also come with light combinations. My Glock 43X, has a Streamlight TLR-6, laser and light combo underneath it's muzzle. And while I can adjust, the laser, that sits 1 inch below my muzzle, I cannot adjust the hotspot of the light, that sits 2 inches below my muzzle. When I shoot my Glock 43X, The adjusted laser, will shoot to point of aim. However, my light's brilliant white hotspot, is still two inches low.

I know, I'm still being too elementary with the obvious, but trust me, I will finally get somewhere with this. I'm just setting the stage. :)

I have noticed when I am at the department range on night quals, there are many fine young officers there, who, have modern weaponlights, slung underneath their pistols. attached lights definitely have their pro's of being able to to keep both hands on the duty pistol while shooting. It also allows the luxury to clear and do building searches during burglaries and whatnot, with both hands on the pistol.

However, I have noticed a pretty big con, that could be hidden in plain sight from many of the younger officers observations. When I was younger and my eyeballs were closer to 20/20 vision, it was the rare younger officer, who could string up more perfect qualification scores than me. Not trying to brag, just stating the facts. ;)

Now that my eyeballs are much older, I am noticing, there are several, younger officers who carry weaponlights underneath their pistols, who can outshoot me. But what I am beginning to realize is, these same younger officers, are only out shooting me in daylight. They are not outshooting me during night quals with their young eyeballs, even when competing against my old eyeballs.

Why is that? I think I have figured out why.

I just returned a few days back, from my yearly scheduled night qual. Usually, unless someone is sick or on vacay, you are scheduled with the same 20 officers on your yearly night qual during that specific year, as you were during the previous yearly day qual held, just not too many days ago.

I shot my yearly day qual not long back also. A total of 25 rounds, beginning at the 25 yard barricade, and finishing at the 3 feet line, with a quick, 3 shot volley while the duty pistol is tucked in at your side. 25 rounds, 4 points a round. I only shot a 96/100 on my day qual, pulling 1 shot outside of the T-Zone at the 25 yard barricade, because I attempted to angle my pistol somewhat, when shooting from the left, opposite side barricade with my right hand. My knuckles on my right hand shooting hand, slipped off the wooden barricade on the 25 yd line, right when I was squeezing the trigger, pulling one shot outside. There went 4 points, right down the drain from shooting a perfect score with my old eyeballs. :)

Of the 20 other officers I was on the line with during my day qual, I think 5 of them shot perfect scores if I am remembering correctly. I know, only 5? Right? However, during the night qual with the same 20 officers on the line, I was the only one who shot a perfect score, once they flipped the lights off and it went dark. I also realized pretty quick, I was the only senior officer and administrator on the line, doing it old school with the flashlight in my left hand, while using the Harries Technique.

This is what I perceived happened. 19 other officers on the line were using weaponlights attached to their pistols. I'm pretty sure, you cannot adjust the centered hotspot on an attached pistol light? Unless a brand manufacturer is making one I don't know about? But I do know for a fact, when I am using the Harries Technique, I pivot my left hand in a way when shooting, that I can quickly and almost instantaneously, align my hotspot of my duty flashlight center mass, along with the black, darkened outlined silhouette, of my duty pistol; also center mass. Right dab smack in the middle of that hotspot.

While I am doing this purposely, I think many the officer, who has an attached weaponlight underneath their muzzle, since their light can't be adjusted to center aim? They are possibly and unconsciously, trying to shoot at their beams, unadjusted hotspot, which stays several inches below their muzzles point of aim. While those inches, wouldn't make much of a difference on a B27silhouette at 10 yards, I made it a point to look at several other officers who dropped a few shots out of the box and the largest percentage of them were at the 25 yard barricade where, those few inches along with bullet drop in the dark? Might make a difference.

What do you think Marty? :)
Makes perfect sense to me.
We are not permitted lights or lasers on our duty weapons. No modifications at all but I have seen with my 2 old eyes exactly what you have said.

OkieStubble

Makes perfect sense to me.
We are not permitted lights or lasers on our duty weapons. No modifications at all but I have seen with my 2 old eyes exactly what you have said.

Our SOP’s don’t allow lasers either, but they do lights. I have a couple of Fed buddies, where Fed policy doesn’t even allow them to carry personal owned weapons on their days off.

They have to carry issued at all times.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
494568A1-19E7-40CC-AD27-EEF444ED5CB9.jpeg

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I'm going to travel to Texas one day and do some sight seeing. I want to see the Grand Canyon of Texas. Of course, it's just a small line drawn in the earth, compared to the Grand Canyon in Arizona. :)

Its only a 3 hour drive to Dallas, c'mon on down sometime and buy me a beer and some livers and gizzards. I always drive over 100 in OK towns to see if I get pulled over by a copper named Rob and I would buy him a beer. So far no luck.

Last edited:
I personally think that the police should give complimentary gizzard dinners with every ticket for more than 20 mph over..... It would really take the edge off a big ticket. It would also give drunks something to munch on in the back of the patrol car, keeping them quiet... The bag could even double as a barf bag if needed.

OkieStubble

I personally think that the police should give complimentary gizzard dinners with every ticket for more than 20 mph over..... It would really take the edge off a big ticket. It would also give drunks something to munch on in the back of the patrol car, keeping them quiet... The bag could even double as a barf bag if needed.

See, now this is what I call, thinking outside the box. The Gizzard Box. :)

Top Bottom