What's new

This site is horrible

for the purposes of newbie shavers, such as myself. :lol:

I guess for someone who has dove head first into this great tradition of wet shaving such as myself, sometimes when I'm reading about all the great reviews on products it's hard to restrain myself. I already have enough soaps it seems to last myself for about 5 years, but hard to resist all the great reviews on products. Which I give very much thanks for because I haven't had a bad experience yet.

An example, today I was reading about the new updates for the RazoRock "La Familgia" product line coming up. Then read the comparisons of soaps and creams such as, SMN, MdC, AdP, and TCF?. Now I'm sitting here on this fine Saturday going oh man must try the originals and the new RR products! :whistling:

Sometimes I just have to sit back and notice that most of the people that have been doing the reviews are very seasoned "vets" in the wet shaving world. Have been doing it for many, many years. They have had plenty of time to experiment, collect gear (razors, brushes, soaps, creams, etc.) that I don't have to have in the first month and a half.

Starting to look at this as a journey, not so much a quick fix to cartridge razors. By that, I mean my experience has been head over heels better than cartridges already, but I'm going to have to take bumps and bruises on finding out what works best for me, as the B&B saying goes YMMV.

Look forward to being a member as long as I can keep up with the forum and contributing with what little knowledge I have of this very new habit forming daily ritual. Just got to keep remembering most of the guys you see with the fully stocked dens have been at it a while. I don't have to start this up overnight.

Thanks B&B! :clap: :thumbup:

Your idea of this being a journey is absolutely true.
Off the bat, you want improved shaves.
Then, the next level is finding what works for you specifically.
At some point, you then want to be able to duplicate that great BBS shave w/ every product combo you can think of.
Then finally, you settle down w/ those products that provide the best combo of luxury and enjoyment-until something new comes along that starts the process all over again!

marty

At some point, you then want to be able to duplicate that great BBS shave w/ every product combo you can think of.
Then finally, you settle down w/ those products that provide the best combo of luxury and enjoyment-until something new comes along that starts the process all over again!

marty

+1

Just wanted to get this out there, by no means am I knocking this site. I love every thing about it. Only one other forum I get on, and it is for duck hunting, mainly to check the conditions during the season. There as never been a forum that I only spend 30 :whistling: :wink1: a day on like this one. :innocent: OK. More than that!

Main reason, I know not everyone is like this, but me personally, I am the type of person that sometimes get too absorbed in to a new hobby and tries to jump in to it head first. Can be viewed as good or bad (especially on the pocket book). Have to buy everything I hear about.

Just wanted to post in case there were others out there like me to help realize what I'm figuring out. Only shave once a day, more if I could, and with God's blessing many years to come to try out many great products.

Unless one is fixing to be discontinued :lol:

It is a never ending quest in which you will come across some very wise men and get to acquire some very nice toys....

marty

+1

Marty even responded in fine form without speaking of 'assimilation', 'resistance', 'futility', and such. That has to be a first! :001_smile

Glad you enjoy the site Daniel.

-- John Gehman

Last edited:
I already have enough soaps it seems to last myself for about 5 years,
Only a 5 year supply on hand? Yep, that's a sure sign of a newbie. :)

Sometimes I just have to sit back and notice that most of the people that have been doing the reviews are very seasoned "vets" in the wet shaving world. Have been doing it for many, many years. They have had plenty of time to experiment, collect gear (razors, brushes, soaps, creams, etc.) that I don't have to have in the first month and a half.
I don't think there is any specific rule about needing to be a veteran in order to write a review. If there is a minimimum amount of time or posts, you've either exceeded it or will shortly.

Go ahead and try your hand at it. There is a sticky post somewhere that tells you how to write a good review. If nothing else, try adding to the reviews of the products you already have.
Just got to keep remembering most of the guys you see with the fully stocked dens have been at it a while. I don't have to start this up overnight.
Where do you draw the line at being "fully stocked?" I've been wet-shaving and collecting for about 4 years now, and I've put at least $2,000 into my hobby obsession passion. I have about 20 each of DE razors and brushes, dozens of soaps and creams and aftershaves, hundreds of blades, and enough miscellaneous hardware and software to fill the walls in the spare room. Do *I* consider myself "fully stocked?" Not by a long shot.

Only a 5 year supply on hand? Yep, that's a sure sign of a newbie. :)

I don't think there is any specific rule about needing to be a veteran in order to write a review. If there is a minimimum amount of time or posts, you've either exceeded it or will shortly.

Go ahead and try your hand at it. There is a sticky post somewhere that tells you how to write a good review. If nothing else, try adding to the reviews of the products you already have.
Where do you draw the line at being "fully stocked?" I've been wet-shaving and collecting for about 4 years now, and I've put at least $2,000 into my hobby obsession passion. I have about 20 each of DE razors and brushes, dozens of soaps and creams and aftershaves, hundreds of blades, and enough miscellaneous hardware and software to fill the walls in the spare room. Do *I* consider myself "fully stocked?" Not by a long shot.

Ok, I admit probably more than 5 years. I don't know how long it will all last. I have contributed some reviews, but I really do need to find that sticky on how to do a better reviews. I thought they were done, but could have been done in poor form compared to others.

Thanks everyone! Off to check out the BST and search some vendors. :lol: :scooter:

I have contributed some reviews, but I really do need to find that sticky on how to do a better reviews. I thought they were done, but could have been done in poor form compared to others.
I just spent about 10 minutes looking for that "How to write a Review" sticky, but I couldn't find it. I've PMed Luc and ackvil (Mods for this forum) and asked them to help track it down. Its a great reference for both Newbies and Exoerienced shavers alike.

This is the text from the review forum- not showing at the moment.

What makes a good review? and 45 day / 50 post requirement to post in this forum.

Members are required to have 50 quality posts on B&B over 45 days prior to posting anything in the reviews forum.

This function is automated, so it may take a few hours from the time of your 50th post/45th day for you to be able to post a review. Use that time to contemplate life, have a spectacular shave, or compare more products to better inform your review! If you believe you may be incorrectly restricted from posting in the reviews section or have any questions, don't hesitate to contact a moderator.

Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Ok, so you have a shaving product that you are just busting to tell everyone about. A review is just the thing! So you ask yourself,…

What makes a good Review?​

First of all, the review should reflect YOUR experiences with the product in question. More simply stated, YOUR experiences entail what YOU think of the product and not what someone else influenced you to think. A good review will detail YOUR thoughts and opinions. Your EXPERIENCES involve you giving the product a fair shake and using it more than just a couple of times. It is paramount that you give the product ample opportunity to shine (or sink), and get to know the product’s strong points, quirks, and/or failings.

When am I ready to begin Reviewing products?

If you can make statements like, “I used this product last week for my first DE shave ever,” then you likely do not yet have the necessary perspective to fairly evaluate a product. Reviews from gents who have a solid understanding of technique and who have sampled a wide array of products typically prove to be most helpful to other shavers. Many of the most helpful/informative reviews will include comparisons with other like products or product groupings. This can allow readers to compare their own experiences with yours to determine whether or not they may like the product being reviewed.

What other things are useful in a Review?

Details, Details, Details! Be specific about what conditions the product was tested in, duration of personal use, other equipment used during the test, and any other information that could prove useful. Nothing is more frustrating than reading a statement like, “This products is bad,” and having no explanation as to why.

A final point of consideration would be to include any points or pieces of information that you believe could further influence the reader.
Is the product a good value based on cost and how long the product lasts?
From where can the product be sourced?
What does the ingredient list include?
Does this product undergo a special manufacturing process?
Is there any traditional or historical significance to the product (perhaps a historical figure used it)?

Are there any special things that should be considered in terms of formatting?

Yes and no. As long as your review is somewhat organized and easy to follow, then you have achieved your goal. One highly recommended practice, however, would be to include a link to a discussion thread that you have placed into the appropriate forum.

A note about the numerical scale, if you select N/A for that metric it will eliminate it from the review- For example lather in a lather-less cream.

The most important point of all – HAVE FUN!

Top Bottom