What's new

This Razor Looks Interesting - OneBlade Genesis

They're great. One of Mantic59's favorite razors. They've been around for three years. Ive had mine for about a year and a half. It's in my regular rotation and gives great shaves.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I sold mine, found I got even more comfortable shaves with the same blade in one of my old Valet Autostrops.

Mine's a refurb. Tod Barret was at the Big Shave West 3 last year with a bunch of refurbs for $150. To good a deal to pass up. I haven't heard if they went to the Big Shave East this year but the supply of refurbs razors is generated by their money back guarantee when people don't care for the razors and a big shave meet up is a great place to get these razors sold.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Way, way, way out of my price range. It is a very nice razor but way, way, way out of my price range.

So you have this razor?

Nope, tried one in a passaround. I bought the Core, which is a plastic version, but I sent it back for a refund. The V1 Genesis and V1 Core was not efficient enough for me. The Feather FHS blade is the main problem, it's not as sharp as the GEM SS PTFE blade. I wasn't going to be bothered modifying GEM blades, so I never bought one.

I don't like the Feather FHS blade at all. If I did, I'd put it into a Valet Autostrop that I have that is tons cooler than the OneBlade. That's just me, though. YMMV.

I think it is a very comfortable and close shaving razor. I have the Genesis v1, and I mostly use the Feather FHS blades. I also use the despined GEM coated blade without modification. The GEM blade works fine in the v1 using friction to hold it in place. The v2 may require modification of the GEM blade, I am not sure.

eric.

So they are probably having to refurbish
That damm pivot gimmick which is
Not something that is likely to have the
Longevity of the classic Gillette or Gem
Razors and certainly not the staying
Power of stationary head modern
Stainless Steel razors ...
I've always viewed the manufacturers
As someone who is laughing at us all
The way to the bank..

I think it is a very comfortable and close shaving razor. I have the Genesis v1, and I mostly use the Feather FHS blades. I also use the despined GEM coated blade without modification. The GEM blade works fine in the v1 using friction to hold it in place. The v2 may require modification of the GEM blade, I am not sure.

eric.
I have a v2 and have been notching despined Gem blades ever since I got it. Recently I looked closely at the way the blade loads and thought that the angle would be steeper (and probably more efficient) if I did not notch the blade and have it held by friction. I shaved with an unnotched blade on Saturday and got a pretty good shave from it, not much different from a notched one, and the blade held in place for the entire shave. If this holds up, I might forgo notching my blades from now on.

They altered the thing from V1 to V2 specifically to prevent people from being able to use de-spined GEM blades in it.

That tells you everything you need to know about the people who make and market this product, IMO.

Top Bottom