What's new

this old pipe ?

Some time ago I found this pipe in a basement that we were cleaning out. It looked allot worse, covered in grime, dirt and some sort of white stuff. I gave it a good clean because I think it looks nice.
the pipe stem is made of some sort of hard rubber. Any one have a ball park idea of how old it might be ?
Also who ever smoked it used some thing very smelly, how might I get that smell out so I can take the pipe in the house.

Attachments

• DSCN4936.JPG
    DSCN4936.JPG
    220 KB · Views: 29

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Any makers marking on it anywhere? It would be really difficult to date without being able to assign a maker.

To get rid of the smell you can remove the stem and soak it in oxiclean for a few hours and then scrub it with a tooth brush.

For the bowl, set it upright and fill it with salt. once full, pour in the highest proof grain alcohol you can find. I use Everclear. Be careful not to spill any on the outside of the pipe, it will strip off the finish...let it sit like this overnight.

There are videos of this process on YouTube. Look up estate pipe restoration and you'll find it.

Best of luck!

That's a cool looking pipe, nice find! The other way to get the smell out is by smoking stuff you like through it. May take a few bowls!

No markings on it at all.
It needs to be cleaned, it really looks like who ever had it before used it heavily but never cleaned it if they did not down right abuse it. I am not sure you could even put any thing in the bowl its so caked up. I think the hole to the pipe stem is clogged as well.
How ever it feels like good quality. I will restore it. Its to nice not to.

When you say white stuff, I am assuming it was on the stem and just oxidation on vulcanite... maybe? It looks did a fine job cleaning it off.

It doesn't seem to be in bad shape, some reaming and salt/alcohol treatment might be all you need.

If you don't want to do a complete refinish, a good cleaning and some fresh wax will probably still have it looking like new.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
When you say white stuff, I am assuming it was on the stem and just oxidation on vulcanite... maybe? It looks did a fine job cleaning it off.

It doesn't seem to be in bad shape, some reaming and salt/alcohol treatment might be all you need.

If you don't want to do a complete refinish, a good cleaning and some fresh wax will probably still have it looking like new.
I use Mothers car wax on my pipes and polish with a wheel. Works great.

I do not know what the white stuff was. The pipe was entirely covered in grime when I found it. It was almost thrown away. The pipe had been left in that basement for a long time. This was a windowless dirt floor basement in a house about a hundred years old. Also got some tools out of there that were nothing but rust. cleaned them up and I now have a pair of very nice knipex pliers. Look like they were made in the 60's.
Thank you for all the tips. scraped out all the caked up gunk inside it was rock hard, smelled really bad. I think the previous owner never cleaned the pipe at all. The stem was also clogged with something very dark brown and brackish. pushed chunks of it out.
The rim is burned.
But We are well on our way to saving a nice pipe.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I do not know what the white stuff was. The pipe was entirely covered in grime when I found it. It was almost thrown away. The pipe had been left in that basement for a long time. This was a windowless dirt floor basement in a house about a hundred years old. Also got some tools out of there that were nothing but rust. cleaned them up and I now have a pair of very nice knipex pliers. Look like they were made in the 60's.
Thank you for all the tips. scraped out all the caked up gunk inside it was rock hard, smelled really bad. I think the previous owner never cleaned the pipe at all. The stem was also clogged with something very dark brown and brackish. pushed chunks of it out.
The rim is burned.
But We are well on our way to saving a nice pipe.
Nice to see an old pipe get a new lease on life. Send us an after photo please!

Top Bottom