What's new

This Kent brush has me stumped. Anyone know anything about it?

Kent Brush

I put together an album. I found this at an estate sale and I have never seen a Kent in a case other than the cylinder. I am not sure what the handle is made of but the butterscotch color seems to be an age patina to me. I could be wrong. The knot is a "super badger" It still felt great. I washed it with a little baby shampoo to get the dusty smell out. Sorry the brush is slightly damp so it does not look as full as it did this morning.

I would really love to know more about it, about how old is it? Is it rare and valuable or is it something I can just throw in my dopp bag?

Thanks!!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I know nothing about it but it looks like a great brush, I would just enjoy it. Use it and enjoy it.

Hopefully some expert will be along soon. I see there's no Postcode (similar to your ZIP Code) tagged on to their address so that would put it pre 1974.

Ah, the case is refered to as the "coffin" case and the V series came in several sizes and knots. Im jealsous of yours as i only have boars. I emailed Kent and was told it was a long production model that ran on and off for several decades. Unfortunately like everything else at kent most info was destroyed by fire.

Great handle shape and real easy to live with.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Very nice and collectible Kent brush. Being it is NOS it is desirable to a collector. Hard to date, V series brushes spawned a lot of years but it is probably 1960's.

Here is a KS12, one of Kents smallest and a V16, one if the biggest that came with a 38mm knot

IMG_1139.JPG

Ah, the case is refered to as the "coffin" case and the V series came in several sizes and knots. Im jealsous of yours as i only have boars. I emailed Kent and was told it was a long production model that ran on and off for several decades. Unfortunately like everything else at kent most info was destroyed by fire.

Great handle shape and real easy to live with.

Wow! Thanks so much for doing that! I really appreciate it.

I just used it today and it was awesome! I used MdC fougère soap and it lathered like a champ! I have 15 other brushes so I dont think I will use it very much but it just looks cool!! It didnt seem to be especially dense but that super badger hair holds a lot more lather than it's small size would suggest.

Thanks so much for your help everyone! From what I have now been told it is most likely from the 60's, cannot be from after 74'. I thought it was from the 80's at most based on the condition of the knot. I have an old ever ready and the original knot is almost crispy. This knot feels almost new and it is around 60 years old. That is just amazing to me.

I am not planning on selling it any time soon but if someone reading this is a huge Kent collector feel free to PM me.

I like my kents. So far only 10.

Sorry about terrible pics, I took these pics using my tabs camera. Not very good but you get the idea. Both my V series have coffin cases but appear to be from either later 70's or early 80's if you can go by the font used. I think yours if definitely older though.
IMG_20180721_194829.jpg
IMG_20180721_194811.jpg

Wow, that is quite the collection. I wonder when they went from using gold decals on the brushes to having the name printed directly on the handle?

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
The V series Kents are one of the Kent models that might have been made by someone other than Kent and were sold according to Kent from the late 60s through the 90s.

The reason I suspect that they might have been made by Vulfix is that the design was also sold over the same periods under the Rooney name and continues to be sold today under the Vulfix and several shop brands like Trufitt & Hill that specifically told me they did not and have not sold "Kent" shaving brushes.

My Kent V8:
proxy.php

Two of my Vulfix examples:
proxy.php

A Rooney that I wish was mine:
proxy.php

Also, when talking to Mark from Simpson's about that model his response was "Non-Disclosure agreements might prohibit any comment".

Top Bottom