What's new

This is what I have found that works great for me.

1. Soak cube and brush while I'm in the shower.
2. Wash face in the shower with hot water.
3. While in the shower, apply hair conditioner to face and let soak for 1-2 minutes and rinse.
proxy.php

4. After shower, wet face, prime the cube and brush together, apply cube soap to face.
5. Add water to brush, prime cube and brush really hard. Back and forth, up and down etc.
6. Add small amount of English Cream and paste.
proxy.php

7. Mix and prime in cup of hand, open breech and add water.
proxy.php

8. Mix and prime the brush on the face, adding water in the breech as I go along.
proxy.php

9. Shave all the mix off, never going over the same area twice without wet mix.
10. Shave a second time with more mix, adding water as I go along.
11. Rinse face. Using wet hands apply cutting balm, then add paste. Mix it all over until its nice and slippery.
12. Shave for third time. Hitting missed areas. Use hands to feel for missed areas.
13. Rinse and pat dry face.
14. Apply Witch Hazel spray and allow to dry on face.
15. Rinse and pat dry
16. Apply CAR's hydorsal spray and then apply CAR's after-shave balm. Spray more hydrosal on.
17. After it has all dried, spray one more time before walking out the door.

My 3rd shave is normally my only south to north pass on the neck area, but I do a lot of south to north everywhere else.

I've been using the Gillette Power Fusion for this method and I can't find anything I don't like about it other then the cost of replacement blades. I'm beginning to believe its not about the razor but more about proper lubrication; before and during a shave. Along with properly moisturizing the face after a shave.

I walk around during the day with a baby butt smooth face and a very well moisturized face that has zero irritation.

One other note, I wasn't getting as good of a shave with this method until I figured out how to get the water to stay inside the breech and really work the mix on the face with the cube soap, paste and English Cream. But now its no problem at all.

CraigK

Craig,
In keeping with "...a picture is worth a thousand words," you certainly scored an OED! Great photo essay.

P

PortsmouthDavid

Great photos! But the colour of that soap isn't going to win a lot of converts, I'm afraid! It just looks kind of unpleasant, no?

David

PortsmouthDavid said:
Great photos! But the colour of that soap isn't going to win a lot of converts, I'm afraid! It just looks kind of unpleasant, no?

David
The smell isn't fantastic either, however, it is a superb product.

Craig, why do you add shaving cream to the mix? Isn't that redundant or unnecessary? As someone once told me, "Shaving Creams/Soaps pollute the mix." I was under the impression that the Cube, Shaving Paste and Cutting Balm was all that was necessary to achieve the proper mix.

~Tim :cool:

AceHarddrive said:
Craig, why do you add shaving cream to the mix? Isn't that redundant or unnecessary? As someone once told me, "Shaving Creams/Soaps pollute the mix." I was under the impression that the Cube, Shaving Paste and Cutting Balm was all that was necessary to achieve the proper mix.

I find the combination works better, the cube and paste alone is a bit to thin. Adding the cream allows me to thicken it up as needed, yet still hold in water. I use this combo on most of my daily shaves. A wet mix is a good mix.

CraigK

From what I've been reading, the way to thicken up the mix is to scrub the Cube some more. Of course, if you've got some shaving cream you need to use up, this would be a good way to do it!

From my own experience I think the thickness of the lather has little to do with the quality of the shave. The key is to get the paste on your face, a good even coat with a good amount of water. Most of my lathers are fairly thin. Here's my technique which is very similar to the one above.

1. Shower or wash face with cube soap.
  2. Soak brush and cube in hot water.
  3. Prime the brush with the cube and brush lather on face.
  4. Hit the cube again to open the breech, place dollop of paste and splash of water in breech.
  5. Work the brush on the cube to mix the paste.
  6. Apply mix to face.
  7. First pass.
  8. Another splash of water on the brush and work the cube for a second, apply to face again.
  9. Second pass.
  10. Another splash of water on the brush and work the cube for a second, apply to face again.
  11. Third pass.
  12. Lightly rinse face, no need for more lather.
  13. Fourth pass (clean up pass).
  14. Final hot rinse, pat dry.
  15. Apply conditioner and tonic.

CAR told me that the balm is mostly unnecessary unless you're in a dry climate or during winter. I live in Austin, TX and seem to be doing fairly well without it. The essentials are the soap, the paste, and lots of hot water. After the third pass there should be enough paste built up on your face to allow the fourth, latherless pass. Just splash some water on your face and it should feel very slick. If not, hit the cube again with the brush, splash on some water and lather up again for that fourth pass.

Using this basic method I have been very pleased with the results: an amazingly close shave (closer every time), with little or no irritation.

CraigK said:
I find the combination works better, the cube and paste alone is a bit to thin. Adding the cream allows me to thicken it up as needed, yet still hold in water. I use this combo on most of my daily shaves. A wet mix is a good mix.

CraigK

I would think that adding the shaving cream also adds to the enjoyment of the shave. Nothing like a great smelling shaving cream or soap to enhace the entire experience.

Randy

rtaylor61 said:
I would think that adding the shaving cream also adds to the enjoyment of the shave. Nothing like a great smelling shaving cream or soap to enhace the entire experience.

Randy

Yes, you are exactly right.

CraigK

Top Bottom