What's new

This is not a No. 16 Gillette Aristocrat

I saw this razor is marked SOLD at $269. Im pretty sure it is not the razor from the #16 set. It is more like
the one from the #66 set. I feel a tad sorry for the buyer.

This is most likely the razor in the link below:

If the baseplate and pat no looked like the razor below then you could perhaps liken it to the razor in the #16 set,
which by the way is one of my top two vintage Gillettes.

For purists, this is what a real #16 set looks like:

I hope this is all a high misunderstanding and I am wrong.

Last edited:
I have no incentive to do so....but looks like some poor chap may have
bought something that may have been misrepresented.

For a near mint that price wasn’t outrageous for 66, maybe 50 bucks high but not crazy. I saw it and said to myself that’s not a 16–if it had been in the same condition it would have been worth around 450 at least I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matched #22 set with 4th generation razor, acccording to mr-razor. If the logo is ok under the cardboard and the case exterior fine too then the selling price IMO is fair I think. The cream bladeholder missing though which is pretty hard to find for decent money.

EF968C20-CCF1-4017-A9F2-0FC7E490E015.png

a 16–if it had been in the same condition it would have been worth around 450 at least I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wish, I had 2 gold #19 sets which are extremely rare (3rd gen in gold) the gold version of what some call a #16. Decided to sell one and it only fetched a little over $200 which I was extremely disappointed since I paid more for it than that years ago but nothing I could do as thats what the market value decided.

R

romsitsa

I wish, I had 2 gold #19 sets which are extremely rare (3rd gen in gold) the gold version of what some call a #16. Decided to sell one and it only fetched a little over $200 which I was extremely disappointed since I paid more for it than that years ago but nothing I could do as thats what the market value decided.

Actually the gold No 21 is not that rare (one pops up every other month here or there), the gold 22 is a rare beast and never saw a No 16 in gold.

Actually the gold No 21 is not that rare (one pops up every other month here or there).
Is that what its called? I've always referred to it as a #19. I see, I've stopped collecting so I haven't actively kept up on Ebay searches. They were not a common sight when I acquired my first one the only other members to have one at the time was Jake and Mr razor I think.

R

romsitsa

Is that what its called? I've always referred to it as a #19. I see, I've stopped collecting so I haven't actively kept up on Ebay searches. They were not a common sight when I acquired my first one the only other members to have one at the time was Jake and Mr razor I think.

Honestly I don’t know. It would be logical, that it was a No 19,
but no shipper or ad surfaced, neither for the Gen 2 nor Gen 3 gold sets.
It’s basically a No 21 in gold, so I use that description.

Top Bottom