What's new

This is a Wedge

I admit to being a new SR user, but I saw this one and took a chance. I've always loved this slogan. Obviously post 1890. I'm going to see about using two layers of electrical tape and see if it sharpens.

Another member once called the wedge a "truck". Ever since then I wanted to see for myself.

Should I leave the patina and just hone? That's were I am leaning.
Wedge.jpg
Wedge1.jpg
wedge3.jpg

I’d tape it and hone it first, see where that leaves you. If after you shave with it you like it then determine if it’s worth polishing or if the weathered look suits it better.

I’d tape it and hone it first, see where that leaves you. If after you shave with it you like it then determine if it’s worth polishing or if the weathered look suits it better.
I've studied a bit and some use two layers of electrical tape for wedges. There are other tape types used. What do you prefer and thank you.

I use one layer of tape on my wedges and have no issues in getting a nice edge. I’ve tried two layers and did not find the edge to be superior to using a single layer.

I generally use Kapton tape when I hone, it’s very tough and incredibly thin. Good old 3M electric tape will work just fine.

I
I use one layer of tape on my wedges and have no issues in getting a nice edge. I’ve tried two layers and did not find the edge to be superior to using a single layer.
Okay, good to know. I've read Scotch super 88 recommended. I have Scotch 700 presently.

I really couldn’t tell you the difference between any of them, I’m sure some are different thicknesses and more resistant to abrasion than others. Only thing to watch with tape is that it does wear, keep an eye on it as you hone and change it if needed as it will change the bevel angle.

I really couldn’t tell you the difference between any of them, I’m sure some are different thicknesses and more resistant to abrasion than others. Only thing to watch with tape is that it does wear, keep an eye on it as you hone and change it if needed as it will change the bevel angle.
I've read to change and clean as you change grits. Thank you for your advice.

People who use two layers on a wedge often aren't adding another layer to get a better edge, it's to minimize the size of the bevel. The thing is - using more tape increases the bevel's angle so it's working against you unless the steel is too soft to hold the edge.
With a pure wedge, I usually check the bevel angle 1st and go from there. I don't mind wide wavy bevels, I actually like them and I prefer narrower bevel angles and I hate using tape. I have Kapton but i don't like honing on it. If I have to use tape, I'll go for Super 88 on some razors and Teneflex 1700 on others. I change often on bevel set, less often on the 5k. When I see wear or sense an angle change I replace the tape.

I have a few wedges waiting for me to get better at honing. I get them sharp enough to slice a throat but not to shave with. Good luck.

I have a few wedges waiting for me to get better at honing. I get them sharp enough to slice a throat but not to shave with. Good luck.
Thank you. It will be fun to hone a wedge and see what occurs. The "barber notch" near wedges have honed well and give a good shave. We shall see.

People who use two layers on a wedge often aren't adding another layer to get a better edge, it's to minimize the size of the bevel. The thing is - using more tape increases the bevel's angle so it's working against you unless the steel is too soft to hold the edge.
With a pure wedge, I usually check the bevel angle 1st and go from there. I don't mind wide wavy bevels, I actually like them and I prefer narrower bevel angles and I hate using tape. I have Kapton but i don't like honing on it. If I have to use tape, I'll go for Super 88 on some razors and Teneflex 1700 on others. I change often on bevel set, less often on the 5k. When I see wear or sense an angle change I replace the tape.

Yes, I assumed the layers were to change the bevel shape. I've seen a video of someone using a convex stone.

I'll see if I can find the Temflex. I have 700 Scotch right now.

Last edited:
oh good! I was worried about pitting in the toe. Glad that it's such a good shaver! Do you have pics up now that it's cleaned?

Top Bottom