What's new

This is a first for me

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
A little JB Weld Marine Epoxy did the trick. I continue to use the brush and haven't had any other issues. I've had many brushes over the years and this is a truly great knot.

It's not a brush I've been in person, but the photos of SV brushes always make me want one.

The issue for me with the SV brushes is the knot. It doesn't always get glowing reviews and is sometimes called a shedder. One never really knows about reviews unless the reviewer talks about what kind of knots he prefers. Some guys like soft over everything. I like soft just fine but wouldn't give up backbone and scrub for more soft. All that's just me saying about this knot: Tell me more.

I'm glad the knot falling out was as simple to fix as it looked like it would be.

Happy shaves,

Jim

It's not a brush I've been in person, but the photos of SV brushes always make me want one.

The issue for me with the SV brushes is the knot. It doesn't always get glowing reviews and is sometimes called a shedder. One never really knows about reviews unless the reviewer talks about what kind of knots he prefers. Some guys like soft over everything. I like soft just fine but wouldn't give up backbone and scrub for more soft. All that's just me saying about this knot: Tell me more.

I'm glad the knot falling out was as simple to fix as it looked like it would be.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I like a bit of scrub, and while I must have some variety in my collection, my favorites have strong backbone. I have had a few with gel tips and that's fine, too, but sometimes they are too gelly. When I do want some gel I would rather have modest gel or "gel-like" tips. I love the SV knot. It doesn't have gel tips and it doesn't have the backbone of an M&F Finest or most Paladins, but it is more than sufficient and it is quite dense. The hairs are very nice. I would say the knot has hairs very similar to Thater 2 band silvertip, but with noticeably more density than a Thater 4125. I would not describe mine as a shedder. I usually face lather and sometimes bowl lather. The brush shed a hair or two the first few times I used it and it has been solid since, except for the time it flew out of the handle while I was shaking it out. I wouldn't pay full price for a new one, but I'd buy another one if I could get a deal like I got on the one in this thread.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I like a bit of scrub, and while I must have some variety in my collection, my favorites have strong backbone. I have had a few with gel tips and that's fine, too, but sometimes they are too gelly. When I do want some gel I would rather have modest gel or "gel-like" tips. I love the SV knot. It doesn't have gel tips and it doesn't have the backbone of an M&F Finest or most Paladins, but it is more than sufficient and it is quite dense. The hairs are very nice. I would say the knot has hairs very similar to Thater 2 band silvertip, but with noticeably more density than a Thater 4125. I would not describe mine as a shedder. I usually face lather and sometimes bowl lather. The brush shed a hair or two the first few times I used it and it has been solid since, except for the time it flew out of the handle while I was shaking it out. I wouldn't pay full price for a new one, but I'd buy another one if I could get a deal like I got on the one in this thread.

Thanks for that helpful information.

I wouldn't buy another gel tipped knot (I have one and like it less and less well), nor would I buy a knot with gel-like tips. Glad to know the SV is not a gel tip.

I have had (very briefly) a Thater 2 band silvertip. Didn't much like it as I thought it favored softness over backbone and scrub. The Paladins and M&F Finest are not knots I've used.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom