What's new

This fillet knife is a dream!

Wanted a 'real' fillet knife for preparing fish and cuts of meat that require trimming and/or boning. After doing some research I went with the following -

Dexter-Russell 29193 V-Lo 8" Fillet Knife

I picked up some fresh, whole branzino from the local Asian market yesterday so I decided to give my new fillet knife a try.

20210626_154016.jpg

20210626_154022.jpg

Wow, what a dream this knife was to use. :em2300: Although it is a bit long for the task, I also used the knife to devein some shrimp that I plan on using to make shrimp & crab pizza in a cast iron skillet for dinner this evening. I could not believe how easy it was to carve up the shrimp with this beastie.

I definitely recommend this knife for anyone looking to upgrade from something more Walmart/Target level.

Tim

I know a lot of fisherman with fillet knives and none of them keep them sharp.
They always want to borrow mine.
I highly recommend a DMT 600 grit for it. It needs some tooth to cut through the skin.
Cutting just the flesh like in sushi can have a very refined edge but a fillet knife should be a little coarse.

I have this one from Leech Lake Knives. The top side of the knife can be used to cut through the skin of the fish. The bottom part finishes the job. The tip of the knife is razor sharp and is ideal for to remove pesky bones and fine work.

1624744882579.png

I have a number of fillet knives from Bubba, Rapala, Dexter, Cuda, among others. The best value, for me, has been one I use for larger saltwater fish: Dexter. The Bubba knife I have is one of the original ones and I find it too stiff to fillet a fish.

For anyone interested, this is the video I followed to learn how to fillet the branzino -

How to fillet whole branzino

The instructions were quite easy to follow. For my first attempt at filleting a whole fish I think it went pretty smoothly.

And, I managed to not draw any blood in the process. :em19: :em3300:

Tim

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Wanted a 'real' fillet knife for preparing fish and cuts of meat that require trimming and/or boning. After doing some research I went with the following -

Dexter-Russell 29193 V-Lo 8" Fillet Knife

I picked up some fresh, whole branzino from the local Asian market yesterday so I decided to give my new fillet knife a try.

View attachment 1287776
View attachment 1287777

Wow, what a dream this knife was to use. :em2300: Although it is a bit long for the task, I also used the knife to devein some shrimp that I plan on using to make shrimp & crab pizza in a cast iron skillet for dinner this evening. I could not believe how easy it was to carve up the shrimp with this beastie.

I definitely recommend this knife for anyone looking to upgrade from something more Walmart/Target level.

Tim
I own a Dexter too. It’s razor sharp and I use it for all of my trimming on brisket or ribs.

Dexter. Standard kitchen issue. As long as you don't use them in a pull through sharpener will be trouble free with regular minimal stone work.

I used a Mercer that I got in culinary school for 10+ years before upgrading. It is similar to the Dexter knives. If you could walk into the kitchen of most restaurants you'll see Dexters on the wall if they aren't on stations.

Top Bottom