What's new

This December it’s DE shaving

Dec 12: DEcember Shave #9 - Oval Slot NDC Tech

Lather:
Stirling Ozark Mountain (sample)
Brush: Yaqi Cashmere (24/53mm)
Razor: Gillette Tech "oval-slot" (1946-50)
Blade: Treet Platinum Super Stainless [16]

Shaved with one of my ugliest razors today - the awesome oval-slot Tech. I got this head for free and it was horribly deformed. The top cap was squished and the edges formed peaks. I can't imagine how that could happen. Note that I had to bevel the edges to remove the excess peaks.

I filed it back into shape and straightened it, and now it shaves wonderfully. It came to me with a solid ball-end handle, but I use it with a fat Tech handle, which is one of my favorite vintage handles.
proxy.php

Dec 13: DEcember Shave #10 - Gillette NEW De Luxe

Lather:
Brush: Omega S-10019 "S-Brush" (24/52mm)
Razor: Gillette NEW De Luxe (15mm)
Blade: Treet Platinum Super Stainless [17]

Up for today is what used to be my favorite razor, the Gillette NEW De Luxe, now bumped to second tier by the 4 DE razors tied for the #1 spot. The NEW De Luxe could easily be the fifth DE tied for #1, and I might just declare that and bump the Shake Sharp, which is technically an SE.

I use this head with my "center punch" handle, which has approximately the same length, diameter, knurling and weight as my Big Fellow handle. $3 from AliExpress well spent.
proxy.php

rudy and guitar 10, interesting to see shavette/straight users doing so much DE time.

rudy, we will miss you over at the SABRE club.

Tomorrow is a big day for me: my 100th Feather SS shavette shave!

rudy and guitar 10, interesting to see shavette/straight users doing so much DE time.

rudy, we will miss you over at the SABRE club.

Tomorrow is a big day for me: my 100th Feather SS shavette shave!
Even when I shave exclusively with my shavettes, I definitely don't post there enough. If it weren't for you, that thread would be dead.

Congrats on hitting the Century mark. By my standards, that's the arbitrary threshold I needed to cross before calling myself an experienced straight shaver. I'm still learning however - I'm almost at the 600 mark.

Dec 16: DEcember Shave #11 - RFB

Lather:
Razor: Gillette NEW "Raised Flat Bottom" (Importee d'Angleterre)
Blade: Treet Platinum Super Stainless [19]

Up for today is the legendary Gillette NEW RFB (Raised Flat Bottom) - legendary to others, not me.

Don't get me wrong, this is a very fine shaver, easily in the top 20% of all my DE razors, but last weeks razors outperform it. That said, I annihilated a two day stubble with no fuss. This is another razor I prefer with my center punch handle. This razor is a star surrounded by superstars.

Dec 17: DEcember Shave #12 - iKon Tech

Lather:
Razor: iKon ShaveCraft 104 "Tech"
Blade: Treet Platinum Super Stainless [20]

I got this razor from a very prominent wet shaver who found it harsh and had a tendency to nick. The Muhle R41 and "the other Tech" are without a doubt the most aggressive DEs out there with maybe the Le Coq cage razor (which I've never tried)

I really dislike the stainless OSS handle that comes with the razor (way too heavy), but instead of using my tried and true center punch handle, I used my Maggard MR1. Almost perfect match for the Tech head.

Yes, it has a tendency to Nick IF you shave at a shallow angle, but at a steep angle, it's awesome. Use the Guard Luke!

Dec 18: DEcember Shave #13 - Muhle R41

Lather:
Brush: PAA The Green Ray Hybrid Tribble (24/57mm)
Razor: Muhle R41 2013 "The Gentle BEAST"
Blade: Treet Platinum Super Stainless [21]

The R41 is a nice razor to follow the iKon Tech because they are both hyper-aggressive. That said, they shave completely differently. The Tech holds the blade very rigidity, with zero blade chatter. The R41 has a lot less support, and the blade sings like a bird.

Both razors work equally well for me at a steep angle. Not that I used the current version I'd the R41, not the 2011 version which is inanely aggressive. Maybe tomorrow ...

Dec 19: DEcember Shave #14 - 2011 Muhle R41

Lather:
Razor: Muhle R41 2011 "The BEAST"
Blade: Treet Platinum Super Stainless [22]

I often worry about mixing up my 2011 and 2013 Muhle R41 razors, needing to resort to measuring dimensions to figure out which is which. Today's shave proves that's rubbish. All you have to do is shave with the 2011 version to know it's very different than it younger brother. The 2013 model is much smoother, and while I wouldn't call the 2011 model harsh, I wouldn't call it smooth either. It's a BEAST! IMHO, the 2013 version is an improvement - pretty close to the same efficiency, yet much more comfortable and a lot less angry. The change made excellent business sense.

Dec 20: DEcember Shave #15 - Fasan Double Slant

Lather:
Razor: Fasan Doppelschrage "double-slant"
Blade: Treet Platinum Super Stainless [23]

Really odd razor for today - the Fasan Double Slant; I hadn't shaved with it in over a year. I used to love this razor, but now that I've discovered I prefer steep angle shaving, I don't use it much. It's by far the pickiest razor I have with respect to angle, even more than the oval-slot Tech or RRSS. It only shaves at one very precise angle due to the bow and extreme twist of the blade. The razor can't make a line contact like any other razor, so it relies on light pressure to ensure contact all across the blade. It IS efficient though, and has a completely different face feel than any of my razors. I don't think this razor can ever nick someone unless the person is a brand new DE shaver.

After the shave, I remembered this is an asymmetric razor that has an "aggressive" side and a "mild" side. I just shaved with it, completely oblivious to the different sides. I checked some of my old SOTD posts where I wrote: I find the "aggressive" side a bit harsh, while the "mild" side is much smoother and frankly, just as efficient. I cannot confirm or deny based on today's shave.
proxy.php

Dec 24: DEcember Shave #16 - Fatip Piccolo v1

Lather:
Brush: Omega 10049 "Pro-49" (27/64mm)
Razor: Fatip Piccolo (v1)
Blade: Treet Platinum Super Stainless [24]
Balm: Aqua Velva Sensitive 5 in 1 After Shave Balm

Up for today's DEcember shave on two day stubble is my Fatip Piccolo v1. The trouble with having too many razors is you don't get to use each one often enough. My Piccolo dates back to 2014 and it's been delivering solid shaves ever since. My stubble was annihilated smoothly and efficiently by my little Ferrari of razors.

Dec 26: DEcember Shave #17 - Fatboy++

Lather:
Saponificio Varesino Felce Aromatica
Brush: PAA The Green Ray Hybrid Tribble (24/57mm)
Razor: Gillette Fatboy "+2" (1961/G1)
Blade: Treet Platinum Super Stainless [25]
Balm: Chatillon Lux TSM Fougere Salve

A quick 2-pass shave on 2-day stubble with my birth year and quarter +2 Fatboy. Lotta twos there.

I shaved WTG and then straight to ATG on Setting 5, which is Setting 7 on a stock Fatboy. I got a bit I'd irritation because I rushed it, but the balm quickly soothed it, so it wasn't serious.

Dec 27: DEcember Shave #18 - Fatboy++ Again

Lather:
CFG Sherlock
Brush: Omega 0196745 BLACK Hi-Brush (24/56mm)
Razor: Gillette Fatboy "+2" (1961/G1)
Blade: Treet Platinum Super Stainless [26]
Balm: Proraso White Crema Liquida Dopobarba

Aaaah ... Sherlock ... Aaaah!

Miserable freezing rain today, so I picked a scent that always puts a smile on my face - Sherlock. It's my #1 soap, tied with Chiseled Face Midnight Stag and Ballenclaugh Hot Barrel Rose. I used the only synthetic brush worthy of being in my regular rotation along with my boars, the Omega BLACK Hi-Brush, and it whipped up 5 passes of lather with a 15 second wet load.

Like yesterday, I used my birth year and quarter +2 Fatboy again, this time on Setting 1, which is Setting 3 on a regular Fatboy. Very mild shave with no irritation whatsoever.

Dec 28: DEcember Shave #19 - RRSS

Lather:
RazoRock Puros
Brush: Omega 0196745 BLACK Hi-Brush (24/56mm)
Razor: RazoRock Stealth Slant v2 with stand
Blade: Treet Platinum Super Stainless [27]
Balm: Stirling Gentleman Post-Shave Balm

The trouble with long vacation periods is I lose track of what day it is. Today is Saturday, but I didn't realize it until after my shave. I have been shaving with DE razors on weekdays weekdays, and straights on the weekend.

This means I got a bonus DE shave this month, and I picked the RRSS. I call this the squeegee razor because it wipes off stubble without blade feel. It's magic. I can't see how anyone could ever cut themselves with this razor. Too bad Italian Barber stopped making these because I think it's by far their best razor.

Dec 31: DEcember Shave #20 - Last Shave of the Decade

Lather:
Stirling Port au Prince
Brush: Semogue 620 (21/50mm)
Razor: Kamisori DE Safety Razor (oval-slot Tech)
Blade: Treet Platinum Super Stainless [28]
Balm: Aqua Velva Sensitive 5 in 1 After Shave Balm

I had a very rare (for me) 3-day stubble to tackle, and this being my last DEcember shave, and last shave of the decade, went with an untraditional DE razor - my kamisori style Tech, which is basically a DE head on a sideways stick.

This razor is my Version 1. The handle is too short, too smooth, and may (or may not) feel better if it was flattened a bit. That said, it's still more than good enough that I haven't made a Version 2 yet.

The razor had no problem with the longer than usual stubble. It was a nice shave to cap off DEcember 2019.
proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom