What's new

This Day In History

The graveyard of empires. And some thought that we would fare better than everyone else who entered Afghanistan.

Worthy of discussion. The problem is it involves politics, even in a sociological sort of way, and that has been a major sticking point. Please note the politics I'm thinking of has nothing to do with any political party, or global areas of influence.

February 17

1904 - Madame Butterfly premieres at La Scala in Milan.

1933 - The magazine Newsweek is first published.

1972 - Cumulative sales of the Volkswagen Beetle exceed those of the Ford Model T.

Birthdays

1781 - Rene Laenec, French physician. He invented the stethoscope.

1874 - Thomas J. Watson, chairman and CEO of IBM.

1925 - Hal Holbrook, actor and director.

1931 - Buddy Ryan, head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles and Arizona Cardinals.

1942 - Huey P. Newton, founder of the Black Panther Party.

1962 - Lou Diamond Phillip's, actor and director.

1963 - Michael Jordan, basketball player.

1981 - Paris Hilton, model, actress, singer and businesswoman.

Don’t forget Saturday Feb.14 1970, the birthday of the situational shaver himself.
Born on Valentine’s Day, the day after the first Black Sabbath album was released,
The perfect situation.

February 18

3102 BC - According to the Surya Siddhanta, Kali Yuga began at midnight (00:00). In Hinduism, Kali Yuga is the last of the four stages (or ages or yugas) the world goes through as part of a 'cycle of yugas' described in the Sanskrit scriptures. The other ages are called Satya Yuga, Treta Yuga, and Dvapara Yuga. The "Kali" of Kali Yuga means "strife", "discord", "quarrel" or "contention" and Kali Yuga is associated with the demon Kali (not to be confused with the goddess Kali).

1861 - King Victor Emmanuel II of Sardinia becomes the first King of Italy

1930 - Pluto, once believed to be the ninth planet, is discovered at the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, Arizona, by astronomer Clyde W. Tombaugh.

Happy birthday! It's also the 50th for The Who's incredible concert at Leeds University.
Thank you very much sir, I guess us Illinois boys gotta stick together.
I started playing bass guitar at 14, and believe me, when you talk about rock bassists
the ‘ox’,as Mr. Entwistle was known, is in the top of a very short list of players.
You can break you’re fingers trying to play some of that stuff.Amazing!
Not to change the subject, but how is the legalization of marijuana effecting you’re town.
Is it still Normal, or is it NORML? (See what I did there?)

Thank you very much sir, I guess us Illinois boys gotta stick together.
I started playing bass guitar at 14, and believe me, when you talk about rock bassists
the ‘ox’,as Mr. Entwistle was known, is in the top of a very short list of players.
You can break you’re fingers trying to play some of that stuff.Amazing!
Not to change the subject, but how is the legalization of marijuana effecting you’re town.
Is it still Normal, or is it NORML? (See what I did there?)
NORML won that battle, but I am not affected as I don't indulge. I know a lot of folks who do and demand far exceeds supply.

NORML won that battle, but I am not affected as I don't indulge. I know a lot of folks who do and demand far exceeds supply.
Reminds me of an old C.W. McCall song:
Well we gave ‘em hell but we lost the war,’cause them critters outnumbered us
So they moved in, and set up camp and they lived in that purple schoolbus
Six weeks later there was nothin’ in town but eighty four dogs and a head shop
Sellin’ dried up weeds and sunflower seeds and astrological postcards
Yeah them critters took over the city council, and the dogs all barked their brains out
And the whole damn town was crispy critters, and the mayor was a space cadet!

From the song’ Crispy Critters’

February 19

1963 - The Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan is published.

Birthdays

1473 - Nicolaus Copermicus, Polish mathematician and astronomer.

1859 - Svante Arrhenius, Swedish physicist and chemist.

1916 - Eddie Arcaro, jockey and sportscaster.

1927 - Lee Marvin, actor.

1940 - Smokey Robinson, singer-songwriter and producer.

1943 - Lou Christie, singer-songwriter.

1946 - Karen Silkwood, union activist.

February 19

1807 - Aaron Burr, a former U.S. vice president, is arrested in Alabama on charges of plotting to annex Spanish territory in Louisiana and Mexico to be used toward the establishment of an independent republic.

1847 - The first rescuers reach surviving members of the Donner Party, a group of California-bound emigrants stranded by snow in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

1910 - Typhoid Mary [Mary Mallon] is freed from her first periods of forced isolation and goes on to cause several further outbreaks of typhoid in the New York area.

1914 - A four-year-old girl named Charlotte May Pierstorff was “mailed” via train from her home in Grangeville, Idaho to her grandparents’ house about 73 miles away

1945 - Operation Detachment, the U.S. Marines’ invasion of Iwo Jima, is launched.

February 19
1847 - The first rescuers reach surviving members of the Donner Party, a group of California-bound emigrants stranded by snow in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

Coincidentally, learned just this week that a friend of Reed seriously considered joining the group and heading to California, but was talked out of it by his wife. Maybe it was because she was pregnant and they had a toddler, but she didn't like the idea at all. It's said she saw the Donner-Reed party off when they left.

The woman's name? Mary Todd Lincoln. Her husband? Abraham.

The woman's name? Mary Todd Lincoln. Her husband? Abraham.

Wow! Talk about the Butterfly Effect!

February 20

1809 - The Supreme Court of the United States rules that the power of the Federal Government is greater than the power of any individual state. It was the case of the United States vs. Peters, Case 9 U.S. 115, and it would change the relationship and power structure between the states and the Federal government forever by ruling that a state legislature could not annul a ruling of a federal court. "If the legislatures of the several states may, at will, annul the judgments of the courts of the United States, and destroy the rights acquired under those judgments, the constitution itself becomes a solemn mockery; and the nation is deprived of the means of enforcing its laws by the instrumentality of its own tribunals." - Supreme Court Chief Justice John W. Marshall

1921 - Reza Khan staged a coup and took control of all military forces in Iran. Between 1921 and 1925 Reza Khan—first as war minister and later as prime minister under Aḥmad Shah—built an army that was loyal solely to him. He also managed to forge political order in a country that for years had known nothing but turmoil. Initially Reza Khan wished to declare himself president in the style of Turkey’s secular nationalist president, Mustafa Kemal Atatürk—a move fiercely opposed by the Shiʿi ulama—but instead he deposed the weak Aḥmad Shah in 1925 and had himself crowned Reza Shah Pahlavi.

1962 - From Cape Canaveral, Florida, John Hershel Glenn Jr. is successfully launched into space aboard the Friendship 7 spacecraft on the first orbital flight by an American astronaut.

CURSE YOU, Neil de Grasse Tyson. Carl Sagan is rolling over in his grave.
What does Tyson have to do with this? The declassification was due to Mike Brown and the IAU. If Pluto is a planet, then so is Eris and a host of other Trans Neptunian Objects. Ceres, in the asteroid belt was downgraded from a planet in the 1850s and nobody gave a hoot.
At a practical level, it makes no difference to life and the universe. At a classification level, arbitrary lines have to be drawn somewhere.

Unlikely. The thing about science is that when something is proven wrong it is scrapped.

The question of whether or not Pluto is a planet is one of definitions, not science. The definition that removed Pluto's planet status is arbitrary and the part about clearing it's orbit means even the Earth arguably fails to meet the definition. The vote went down toward the end of the conference, when many had already cleared out.

It's rumored that a big factor was the possibility of naming a tenth planet and possibly more. That gave some delegates a serious case of the vapors. They probably weren't singing "Don't want no small planets/Don't want no small planets/Don't want no small planets 'round here" when they ran the vote, but they might as well have.

Not only do I still argue that Pluto is a planet, I argue that it's a double planet with Charon. It's barycenter is beyond Pluto's surface, which makes makes it way, er, cool.

Top Bottom