What's new

This commercial for Brut cologne would spark controversy if it were aired today.

Typical commercial that projects the inference that if you use their product you will get all the women & sex you want Ha.

Somehow I kind of feel that it wouldn't be too bad a decision to buy a bottle of Brut, even though I detest the scent.:001_tongu

Typical commercial that projects the inference that if you use their product you will get all the women & sex you want Ha.
Was there an ad back in the day that didn't do that for products pushed on men? Like Beer ads? The difference today and back then is back then we knew it was a lie. These days someone's feelings would get hurt, or complain women can wear Brut too. I'm surprised they haven't come out with a female scent and called it Brat.

Was there an ad back in the day that didn't do that for products pushed on men? Like Beer ads? The difference today and back then is back then we knew it was a lie. These days someone's feelings would get hurt, or complain women can wear Brut too. I'm surprised they haven't come out with a female scent and called it Brat.

We know it's a lie now too, the point is that women have the idea that they exist for reasons other than being ornaments for men, and now they are getting loud about that.

As the father of teenage daughters, I am not opposed to this change.

We know it's a lie now too, the point is that women have the idea that they exist for reasons other than being ornaments for men, and now they are getting loud about that.

And now they show men as oafs and baffoons. Both sexes need to be respected, and not by belittling one over the other.

And now they show men as oafs and baffoons. Both sexes need to be respected, and not by belittling one over the other.
Agreed. We have Toyota commercials here where the male actor, Pat, is portrayed as a complete idiot while is wife is a genius.

Gulping up the postmodern misandry is how a woman ends up 48, with 5 cats, mediocre job (aka 'career') and no grand kids for her open minded parents.

Right, no woman has ever made men look silly in the entertainment media before. Go listen to a few episodes of Fibber McGee and Molly and get back to me. A gentleman is not so thin skinned that he can't take negative portrayals of men he doesn't know in stride. And he also doesn't listen to people who tell him that he should be offended by such things.

Gulping up the postmodern misandry is how a woman ends up 48, with 5 cats, mediocre job (aka 'career') and no grand kids for her open minded parents.

I'm pretty sure the world generated old maids before the 20th century.

Right, no woman has ever made men look silly in the entertainment media before. Go listen to a few episodes of Fibber McGee and Molly and get back to me. A gentleman is not so thin skinned that he can't take negative portrayals of men he doesn't know in stride. And he also doesn't listen to people who tell him that he should be offended by such things.
Meh. Comment still stands. We're talking advertising. Brilliant by the way. Also, if you look closely in the OPs posted ad, all the men in the ad were "ideal" men, such as the women were "ideal" women. Same with every other ad back in the day.

Ever work in television? Most television advertising is not made for men. It's made for women and children. There's a reason behind that. So, it doesn't hurt the companies at all by belittling men. That Brut ad. Not made for men. It was made for women. P&G, Shulton, Faberge, and the like figured out years ago it is not men that go buy their men's products. It's the women in their lives. Same goes for Hanes and any other men's product. The wives, girlfriends, and mothers usually purchase these items for the men in their lives.

Women, you just have to stroke their egos. You're so smart. Don't you deserve it? Take time for you. You're better than anyone else. Create the man you want.

Children, you have to get them excited. Collect them all. Be part of the fight. Have an adventure.

Want a man to buy your stuff, they go by logic, reason, and trying to show the best product for the best price. Look at the old truck ads from the 80s and 90s. They gave towing capacity, wheel clearance, horse power, low end torque. Even if they fudged the numbers. Today, especially in the south, you have Ford families, Chevy Families, Dodge Families, and Jeep families. Try not to tell them Chrysler owns Jeep and Dodge. Might hurt their heads.

I'm pretty sure the world generated old maids before the 20th century.
Sure did. However, old maids are on the rise. They're called Cat Ladies now. Men are bowing out of the marriage scene. Why sign a contract where if your business partner doesn't have to contribute anything, can sabotage the partnership, destroy your life, and still get more than half of all assets and none of the liabilities? Then, even after it is all over you have to pay that partner an extraordinary amount based on earnings you may or may not have, and if you don't pay you go to jail? Oh, and the chances of this happening are over 50%. Seems like a bad investment. Heck, if I were in the States I would go full MGTOW Monk.

No the difference is that commercials are all aimed at women now

edit: I see now you said exactly that a few comments down

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
"Ring around the collar!" Tide was shaming women, but I'm the one that makes sure my shirt collar is treated!

That commercial was well done, though I don't speak whatever language that was. It proves my theory that women are superior to men; they go through childbirth!

I have no daughters, yet I’m not opposed either. I’m pretty sure my two adult sons also aren’t opposed.

+1

Top Bottom