What's new

This cologne smells exactly like?

Have you ever tried a new fragrance and said immediately, "man....that sells just like _________!?!?!?" I recently tried Floris Vetiver and it smells just like a light Knize Ten. After a few minutes...still Knize Ten. Also Blenheim Bouquet smells like Trumper's Wellington. Floris JF smell like Creed's Green Irish Tweed and Truefitt's Freshman. Has anyone else drawn these comparisons?

I've found many fragrances smell the same, especially cheaper ones, but I have never made those particular comparisons. I will do so if I get the chance. You mention some of my favorites: Blennheim Bouquet and Knize Ten.

The only knize ten I've ever smelled came on a cotton ball that Caswell and Massey sent me. Where can I find a small decanter sample of this?

I have both Knize 10 and Floris Vetiver and to my nose they smell nothing alike. To me Knize has a lot of burnt sage in it while Floris Vetiver is a more wet grass roots smell.

Blenheim and Wellington should smell similar, as Wellington is alleged to be a copy. I can't speak much for the other connections.

One of my own would be D.R. Harris' Arlington and Trumper's Eau de Portugal. Another would be Tabac and English Leather.

Chris

Unfortunately when a perfume company comes up with an outstanding fragrance, other companies often do try and make something similar. Sometimes they perfect the inspiration, but most of the time, the scent is a lesser.

But, even if this isn't the case, the dominant notes in the chords are used in many other scents. The difference in these is the subtle art of the perfumer to add depth and grace with other less prevalent notes to make a truly exceptional fragrance.

BTW, just to **** everyone off, I got a sample of illusion from SCS, which is designed to mimic Knize. I haven't tried Knize, but if this is true, Plush by Fubu also smells like Knize. Don't ask me why I know this.

I have also remarked to myself how similar certain scents are to another. Here's how it breaks down for me.

Floris Santal ~ Penhaligons Endymion
Floris Douro ~ Brut
Floris Cefiro ~ Calvin Klein One

I'm sure there are others, but to clarify, I'm not suggesting that these are the same things...merely very similar to my nose. In the instance of Santal and Endymion, I can tell them apart blindfolded, but to the non-familiar they may be identical.

I have also remarked to myself how similar certain scents are to another. Here's how it breaks down for me.

Floris Santal ~ Penhaligons Endymion
Floris Douro ~ Brut
Floris Cefiro ~ Calvin Klein One

I'm sure there are others, but to clarify, I'm not suggesting that these are the same things...merely very similar to my nose. In the instance of Santal and Endymion, I can tell them apart blindfolded, but to the non-familiar they may be identical.

Bingo on the Santal/Endymion. Did you mean Penhaligons Douro=Brut? That would be quite the compliment for Brut. I don't get that feeling. Another one would be Trumpers Sandalwood=Pecksniffs Oriental Woody...close to BB 1818 as well.

John Varvatos and Armani Code.

They both have the same Smokey note also shared by Bulgary Black. I have unlabeled atomisers of the three and, in the morning, it is hard to distinguish between them. However, the three have a very different character and while I do not care for Code, Varvatos is an excelent mix of manly and young notes with a nice longevity.

Continuing with the thread:
1805 - L'eau de Issey (Confirmed)
Platinum Egoiste - Himalaya - Herrera- XS - Brit for men (with a more crisp note)
Unforgivable - Millesime Imperial.
Blue label - Bvlgari Aqva - Unbound - Aqua di Gio.

Yes, and in my opinion, they ALL smell quite similar to Davidoff's Cool Water.
Agreed, and Basenotes' GIT reviews mention that a lot as well... I love the GIT scent but I'm not sure if I could justify the price tag, given the fact that I can get something similar for much less... :frown:

I tried a sample of Floris JF today and it reminded me a great deal of the sample of Trumper's GFT that I tried over the summer. I don't have the GFT anymore so I can't do a direct compare but going by memory they seemed quite similar.

Top Bottom