What's new

This changes everyhing!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I live in an area with semi-hard water. But I travel a lot, and therefore get to experience all kinds of water that is all over the spectrum. Super soft water shaves nice, but it makes one feel like they can’t get the soap off the skin when showering.

By the way omnibus soaps work great in somewhat hard water. At least that is my experience.

I live in an area with semi-hard water. But I travel a lot, and therefore get to experience all kinds of water that is all over the spectrum. Super soft water shaves nice, but it makes one feel like they can’t get the soap off the skin when showering.

By the way omnibus soaps work great in somewhat hard water. At least that is my experience.
Yes and that too
On board I use shower gel and liquid soap, dove is ok, but other regular soaps, oh boy they don't rinse at all

Except people. Particularly those with heart disease. Water softeners can result in a huge spike in sodium intake, if you're not careful about it.
Very little is added but yes if highly sensitive it could be something to think about. The small amount added is also dependent on how hard the water is. The water softener should be adjusted to how hard the water is and how much reduction someone might want.

Microwaved 1/2 cup of distilled water to soak my brush and build lather again today.. the results were the same 10/10 shave. Won't do this everyday, but will on weekends. It has amazed me how much this has changed the quality of my shaves. I have never rated a shave 10/10 till now. I agree this could explain many differences in people's perceived differences in their shaving experiences, from soap performance, blade performance to beard softness ect...

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Except people. Particularly those with heart disease. Water softeners can result in a huge spike in sodium intake, if you're not careful about it.

That is something I didn't know about water softeners, and I am glad you spoke up on that. Those who have high blood pressure should know, too high salt intake, will drive your BP higher.
While taking BP meds does indeed help to control it, you don't really want to be fighting your BP meds, by shoving a bunch of salt down into ya. Thats like hitting the breaks on your car, while you have another foot on the gas, car doesn't stop very well when you do that. lol Again thanks for that very important tidbit of information!

I am fortunate to live in a place with naturally soft water. No softener needed. Everything lathers great.

Every time I travel I miss the water at my home. Bath soaps also lather better and my skin always feels great a ter a shower at home but the not so much when I travel.

I feel sorry for those of you who have to deal with hard water all the time.

Very little is added but yes if highly sensitive it could be something to think about. The small amount added is also dependent on how hard the water is. The water softener should be adjusted to how hard the water is and how much reduction someone might want.

It's kinda silly how many people have water softeners and don't know how to adjust them. And yeah, compared to the average American diet, the amount of sodium from a water softener isn't going to be a lot, but if someone is already sodium conscious due to an existing condition, it'll be a much bigger amount, comparatively.

That is something I didn't know about water softeners, and I am glad you spoke up on that. Those who have high blood pressure should know, too high salt intake, will drive your BP higher.
While taking BP meds does indeed help to control it, you don't really want to be fighting your BP meds, by shoving a bunch of salt down into ya. Thats like hitting the breaks on your car, while you have another foot on the gas, car doesn't stop very well when you do that. lol Again thanks for that very important tidbit of information!

Yup, the common recommendation in the water industry (when and where the people making the recommendations have learned this) is if you're sensitive to sodium (which is almost always a heart disease thing), go with RO instead of a softener.

It's kinda silly how many people have water softeners and don't know how to adjust them. And yeah, compared to the average American diet, the amount of sodium from a water softener isn't going to be a lot, but if someone is already sodium conscious due to an existing condition, it'll be a much bigger amount, comparatively.

Yup, the common recommendation in the water industry (when and where the people making the recommendations have learned this) is if you're sensitive to sodium (which is almost always a heart disease thing), go with RO instead of a softener.
And it's possible to have both. Sink and/or fridge water supply with RO and skip the softener. Like, people usually do not soften water going to outside spigots.

Yup. I helped a neighbor a few years back set up an RO on the kitchen sink, and a softener that only served the laundry/dishwasher/showers.

I live in a city that gets its water supply, from a well. While the city does indeed filter the water, and make sure its clean and safe by the time it gets to us, it is however HARD water, and as such, its loaded in calcium deposits. I've heard that hard water makes it difficult to work up a lather. I go an extra step to try and filter the water some more, by using a Britta jug. Unfortunately however, I am not using the higher quality blue filters, that filters more contaminant, because they just cost too much money, I'm just using the standard white filters.

While I am still able to work up a lather, I still feel like, if I were to use reverse osmosis water, I'd probably get a better performance shave then I do. But I don't own a reverse osmosis machine, those are heavily costly to buy. I suppose I could do well to get a water softener installed in my home, but those come with maintenance involved, gotta replace the salt brine and all that business. At the end of the day, I do what I can with what I have, and thats just the best that I can ask for I suppose. I wish I had access to fresh soft mountain water, that comes fresh off the stream, instead of sitting in a deep water channel called a well lol.
You should look into installing a whole-house filter. They aren’t overly expensive, and the filter elements are considerably better and longer lasting than a Brita system.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
We use a gravity operated Berkey filter for drinking water, coffee, tea , cooking, etc.. I tried that water for shaving a few times but it was a bit of a hassle so I use our horrible tap water.

I always shower first and use the Cube 2.0 there: the Tube 2.0 pre-shave. They do soften up my whiskers and enable great shaves with the tap water. We do have one of those little filters on both shower heads.

Top Bottom