What's new

This 1954 Z1 Razor Confused Me

Got it for $10 off Etsy. Saw the Z1, looked it up on Wiki, learned it's a 1954, but an SS? It didn't look like one, with a head like my '46 Aristocrat, and a handle like my '38 Sheraton. And it's not a flare tip. I mean, WTHeck? Did some more digging, and thought it was a 1954 TV model, but soon learned those are only Z3/4. Searched again on the web, and found this thread:

Gillette expert, please help Z1 40's style super speed

It's a 1940s style 1954 SS, an early year transition model. The first three are the before photos, the last four
IMG_1950.JPG
IMG_1948.JPG
IMG_1949.JPG
IMG_1954.jpg
IMG_1958.jpg
IMG_1957.jpg
IMG_1956.jpg
are after soaking in hot water and Dawn, then scrubbing.

I'll shave with it for a couple of weeks to make sure it works well, then it'll get another soaking and scrubbing, followed by a thorough Flitz polishing, then put it away till fall. It will be part of a Sue Moore Auction package that I'm putting together. Don't know if it's rare, but it's unusual, so I'm hopeful it generates interest and lively bidding.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Notched center bar is normal, handle is right ... your head on the '46-'47 Aristocrat should look different than that, though. Look closer at the "wings" on the edges of the center bar, it shouldn't be notched! Plus there's no step on the safety bar ... look again.
In 1954 Gillette had both flare tips and the earlier '40s style Super Speeds at the same time.

Notched center bar is normal, handle is right ... your head on the '46-'47 Aristocrat should look different than that, though. Look closer at the "wings" on the edges of the center bar, it shouldn't be notched! Plus there's no step on the safety bar ... look again.
In 1954 Gillette had both flare tips and the earlier '40s style Super Speeds at the same time.

What he said.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Looks normal to me.

What he said.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Looks normal to me.

I guess I should have looked more carefully. I held them in profile side by side, and the general shape and height looked the same. I'm looking forward to using it tomorrow.

image.jpeg
Nice, I have several of these and there are some with plastic/ Bakelite tto knobs as well. Made during the Korean conflict/ police action as some historians refer to it.
They ( Gillette) apparently had trouble getting enough brass during the war and tried to save some by using steel blade beds and plastic tto knobs. There are quite a few interesting variations in the early Super Speed razors. Some even suggest that there are examples of aluminum handles in some of these wartime made Super Speed razors. I have a steel baseplate with brass handle which seems to be fairly common.

The one you have looks to be a full brass example which is good. Hope you enjoy using it!

Last edited:
And here is one with the aluminum handle, brass blade bed, and brass tto knob from before date coding started.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Here is a before pic of the same razor,

This is fascinating. Never knew this niche of razors existed. Great pictures, much better than my iphone ones, BTW. I shaved with it this morning with a new Silver Star blade, and my first impression was,"Wow, this is a mild razor." Yet the shave I got was BBS. Amazing combination of comfort and closeness. I'm going to hate parting with it.

Great score! Congrats! (And terrific price!)

Thanks. I was looking for a cheap, crusty old razor I could clean up and donate. Amazing what hot water, Dawn, and a good scrubbing reveals. I'll clean it again, polish with Flitz, and donate to this fall's auction. :001_smile

Shaved with it for the last time this morning. So the couple of weeks turned into 26 days. Will clean, sanitize, and polish this weekend. Off it goes to Auction. I will definitely miss this one!

Top Bottom