shave #24
IMG_0699.jpeg

Blade: Schick Super Stainless (1)
Razor: Christopher Bradley SB-C Plate
Brush: Simpson M6 2014 TSN LE
Soap: Mike's Barbershop
AS: Fine American Blend
ASB: Nivea Sensitive

What a contrasting shave. It was night and day difference between the new and old blade. Not that the old blade was harsh or drawing blood, but it was extremely dull.

Two pass plus a couple clean-ups to a BBS.

OBIF fail

I attempted to get the 27th shave from a Feather but it was unbearably dull. It was too easy to give in because I had a Muhle R89 in my line of sight, loaded with a Sharp Hi Chromium Durablade, and the temptation was too strong. But it felt soooo good to have an effortless shave. I really think the Feather was done around 15 or so. The Sharp Hi Chromium only has 9 shaves on it, and my face thanked me for abandoning the exercise in futility.

For reference, I've made 30+ on a fair number of blades including
Astra SP - 41
Nacet - 42
Voskhod - 33
Loi Titanium - 57
Vikings Blade Green - 46

I've also taken my favorite "feel" blade, the Astra SS, out to 17 comfortably.

I know it's YMMV, and lots of folks love these Feather blades, but I rank them pretty low. I'll take just about anything else.

Tiger Platinum is still slicing the whiskers, at shave #29 today.

I was having great shaves with it in the Schick Krona and should have carried on with that, but I felt like a break from the routine.

I opted for my X2 Canadian tech for a couple of shaves. That was uneventful but not as close a shave as I had been getting with the Krona. Next I moved the blade into my grandfather’s prewar tech, also Canadian. I did better with that the first day, and well enough the second day, so I thought. But by evening I was stubbly and actually scruffy looking (the horror).

Today’s shave was in my Aristocrat Junior. Very nice, but still not as close as the Krona.

Too many variables, but I would say the blade is meeting more resistance. I will push it on for two more shaves and then bin it. Not a bad blade, but not as good for me as some others.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
OBIF fail

I attempted to get the 27th shave from a Feather but it was unbearably dull. It was too easy to give in because I had a Muhle R89 in my line of sight, loaded with a Sharp Hi Chromium Durablade, and the temptation was too strong. But it felt soooo good to have an effortless shave. I really think the Feather was done around 15 or so. The Sharp Hi Chromium only has 9 shaves on it, and my face thanked me for abandoning the exercise in futility.

For reference, I've made 30+ on a fair number of blades including
Astra SP - 41
Nacet - 42
Voskhod - 33
Loi Titanium - 57
Vikings Blade Green - 46

I've also taken my favorite "feel" blade, the Astra SS, out to 17 comfortably.

I know it's YMMV, and lots of folks love these Feather blades, but I rank them pretty low. I'll take just about anything else.
Have to agree with you on the Feathers, 27 is an amazing number from one, my last Feather gave me 8 decent shaves and 2 rubbish ones.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
26 of 28

No picture

Razor: Muhle Rocca R94
Blade: King C Gillette(26)
Soap: RR Don Marco
Brush: RR Beehive Brush

Tonight the orange scent of RR Don Marco wafted around the bathroom bringing thoughts of summer. Although not a top tier soap the shave was not as comfortable as with some of my better soaps but still left a near BBS finish. Although I am doing the Fixed Four For March Challenge I would love to see if this could be the first blade I manage to push past 30 shaves.

OBIF Shave #26
Ever Ready 1912
AccuTEC carbon-steel SE blade (26)
Semogue beech-handle boar brush
Soap Commander Integrity

First time I tried the 1912 after I dropped it. I had to bend the corner of the top cap back but otherwise it doesn't seem to have sustained any damage. It gave me a good shave considering the wear on the blade.

February 26

Blade:
Shark Super Stainless (26)
Razor: Gillette Aristocrat
Cream: Proraso
Brush: Yaqi Timber Wolf 26mm synthetic

Apart from a not-so-smooth first pass around my chin, the Shark is still hanging in. The Aristocrat is a fairly recent addition, and consistently gives good, no drama shaves. Until recently, I hadn't tried shave cream in a tube - I like it.

2022-02-26 19.45.03.jpg
2022-02-26 19.45.03.jpg
2022-02-26 19.45.03.jpg
2022-02-26 19.45.03.jpg
2022-02-26 19.45.03.jpg

February 26

Blade:
Shark Super Stainless (26)
Razor: Gillette Aristocrat
Cream: Proraso
Brush: Yaqi Timber Wolf 26mm synthetic

Apart from a not-so-smooth first pass around my chin, the Shark is still hanging in. The Aristocrat is a fairly recent addition, and consistently gives good, no drama shaves. Until recently, I hadn't tried shave cream in a tube - I like it.

View attachment 1416409

2022 OBIF (Entrant 31) Blade 2, Shave 12
1939-RFB-W_2022-02-26.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac 20/46 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Bignoli Neutro
Razor: 1939 silver plated Gillette NEW RFB GT (5)
Blade: Willy's (12)
ASL: La Rive Cabana

A good shave. :biggrin:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Racer (26)
Merkur Progress, set to 3
Vie Long horse
Long Rifle Hawkeye soap, face lathered
Alum, Witch Hazel and Aqua Velva 5 in1 After Shave Balm

Two passes and a little touch up for a fair shave. Stubble left even after touch up, though only noticeable by me. Just a sure sign that the blade is spent. I'll get to the end of a challenge; it is, after all, a challenge. But that's the only reason I'm still shaving with it. That, and it's not causing an uncomfortable shave. If the Racer was both dull and irritating, it would be binned.

GRUME : last and done 14/14 (every other day shave here)
One Blade in February : done with my month too, 2 blade used 9/14 and then 5 / 5

Prep : warm shower / Bulldog original face wash
Brush : Proraso boar by Omega
Cream : Pure by Gillette
Razor : Merkur 34 HD Chrome
Blade : Voshkod (8)
Post : alum block Dickinson's Original Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive balm, gold bond powder

After this week experience with the current blade I was dragging at the idea of shaving, was not looking forward that moment ... but what do you know extra attention well behaved blade and a no nick no cut , borderline CCS, 2 pass and clean up, missed the left side jawline clean up for a true CCS.

OBIF Shave # 27

Blade
# 1
Shave # 24

Parker 96R
Super-Max Diamond Edge SP 💎
PAA Organism 46B kokum butter base

24th shave and blade # 1 is comfortably cruising to the finish line.

The blade is holding on strong to its buttery edge. It feels like it can go on forever. I am truly surprised at the closeness of the shave, yet zero irritation or razor burn.

The blade edge feels akin to a well honed straight razor after its been stropped well.

After about 12 hours now, it's still at socially acceptable shave level. There is some sandpaper feel on the jawline and chin. I am having the best shaves of my life this past two weeks.

It will be an easy 25th shave tomorrow.

1645985100019.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom