5) @luv2shave - BLADE PENDING
6) Ivo4u2 - KAI DE
7) JAHE - Gillette Perma-Sharp
8) T.Orso - Tiger Platinum
9) FoolishMortal - Nacet, naturally
10) awk_m4 - Feather
11) psfred Trig Silver Edge
12) wmadoty - Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharpedge

I have never tried this challenge before but this year will be the year. My set up will be a Merkur paired with a Schick Plus Platinum blade.
DE64084A-26C7-4253-94DD-1913BA4AE966_1_201_a.jpeg

I am in:

1) Mike M - King C Gillette
2) Runnin_Ute - Gillette Silver Blue
3) Saxonbowman - Accutec carbon-steel SE
4) tsimmns - Schick Proline SE
5) @luv2shave - BLADE PENDING
6) Ivo4u2 - KAI DE
10) awk_m4 - Feather
12) Bobbers - Schick Plus Platinum

I'll go with a super-max diamond edge. Will be a good test.

I'll fill in # 5 below

5) luv2shave -Super-Max Diamond edge
6) Ivo4u2 - KAI DE
10) awk_m4 - Feather
13) Bobbers - Schick Plus Platinum

There are no restrictions. You can even start with a used blade.
I'll start with a fresh blade and intend to continue my daily shave streak.
Just have fun.
That is great to know! The challenge for me will be only using one brand for the month. I have them ready to go. I'm a different species in that anytime I use a blade more than once is a bonus. :).
IMG_8728.jpg

That is great to know! The challenge for me will be only using one brand for the month. I have them ready to go. I'm a different species in that anytime I use a blade more than once is a bonus. :).
View attachment 1399875
If I went with a Feather in OBIF I'd likely need up to 14 blades. It's a "two shaves and out" blade for me. That’s the worst blade in my den in terms of longevity. But I enjoy those two shaves, though.

I am changing my blade selection. I tried the Tiger Platinum again, and actually didn’t make it through a single pass. So tuggy. This was a surprise to me as I have tried Tiger before and had no issues, and I have used a Bic blade past 100 shaves. But this was bad, maybe just a dud blade.

For passes 2 and 3 (leaving pass 1 unfinished) I loaded a Lord Super Stainless in my Aristocrat Jr, and it was good. This blade is new to me. I am going with it.

6) Ivo4u2 - KAI DE
8) T.Orso - Lord Super Stainless
10) awk_m4 - Feather

I'm in, I'll use Personna Lab Blue.
This will be interesting, never tried them before.

6) Ivo4u2 - KAI DE
10) awk_m4 - Feather
14) Mouser - Personna 74*
15) hopper_64 - Personna Lab Blue

I'm in with a Gillette Perma-Sharp. Not sure if I will use my current, or, start a new one. I don't shave everyday and often put 30 or more shaves on a blade. Right now I am averaging every 5 to 7 days. I can definitely do a month.

6) Ivo4u2 - KAI DE
10) awk_m4 - Feather
16 Tehnothing - Gillette Perma-Sharp

I'm in. KCG platinum for me.

Thanks,
Mike

6) Ivo4u2 - KAI DE
10) awk_m4 - Feather
16) Tehnothing - Gillette Perma-Sharp
17) mikey - KCG platinum

Still going through my blade stash, trying to decide. I know the blades that will see me through to the end: Gillette Platinum, Schick Super Chromium, Polsilver Super Iridium, Wizamet. I'm trying to find one I'm unsure of, and there's quite a few blades I haven't used yet: multiple types of Lords and Treets, Gillette Wilkinsons, Super Max, Sharks, Gillette Super Inoxydable (from Argentina) and a few other brands. And then there are blades that I like but have never pushed a whole month: Personna Reds, Wilkinson Swords (from Germany).

Decisions, decisions.

Haven't even gotten to razor selection yet.

Watch out for those 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge blades, I'm on shave 15 or so and just now getting shaved without feeling peeled, and I have my FatBoy turned down to 3! Gonna be a spectacular blade if it holds up, but man, do the mean it when they say "sharp edge".

If I went with a Feather in OBIF I'd likely need up to 14 blades. It's a "two shaves and out" blade for me. That’s the worst blade in my den in terms of longevity. But I enjoy those two shaves, though.
14 blades would actually be good for me! :)
I shave my head daily and it’s the against the grain on the back of my head where I judge all blades. Most blades feel great on the first shave but they quickly deteriorate after that.

Watch out for those 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge blades, I'm on shave 15 or so and just now getting shaved without feeling peeled, and I have my FatBoy turned down to 3! Gonna be a spectacular blade if it holds up, but man, do the mean it when they say "sharp edge".
What is the setting on your Fatboy for fresh blades? Do you keep the same setting for your entire shave?
On my Fatboy with the grain I would start at setting six. For against the grain I would dial it down to three.

Please note not only how many shaves you have done with the blade, but in total how many passes.
For science ;)
:biggrin1:
I'm just interested in the no. of passes others can do with one single blade.
For no other reason that I'm interested in it #nerd-alert.

If we’re going to be scientific about this, you know, like nerds, not only must we take into account the number of passes, but also the density and coarseness of the beard. This is the biggest variable that’s not being accounted for, and any comparison among shavers is meaningless because, you know, YMMV.

I propose the nerdiest amongst us develop an app that can rate our beards based on a mug shot. Who’s smart enough to take on this challenge? 😀

If we’re going to be scientific about this, you know, like nerds, not only must we take into account the number of passes, but also the density and coarseness of the beard. This is the biggest variable that’s not being accounted for, and any comparison among shavers is meaningless because, you know, YMMV.

I propose the nerdiest amongst us develop an app that can rate our beards based on a mug shot. Who’s smart enough to take on this challenge? 😀
The more I think about it, the more useless seems the information I asked for to collect. You are right. It won't tell me anything. Let's skip the approach and let's get back to rule #3.

Top Bottom