What's new

Third Wave Coffee - what's with the light roasting?

Hey B&B coffee geeks (you know who you are)! As a follow up, so what is it about lighter roasts that seem to make it difficult if not impossible to get a nice bloom even though the beans are super fresh and freshly ground? Example: I just made my morning up using some Ethiopia beans from my local roaster that tends to roast almost everything close to or at full city. The bloom in my Beehouse filter was enormous, and I could actually see the bubbling and outgassing. In contrast, most if not all of the lighter roasts that I've had tend to be "flat" with little to no bloom.

Moreover, the end result in the filter after brewing is very different. With the blooming of the "darker" roasts, the wet grounds tend to stick to the sides of the filter, forming a nice uniform layer of grounds that conform to the funnel shape of the filter cone. On the other hand, the lighter roasts tend to merely form a bed of mud-like wet grounds at the bottom of the cone. This leads me to suspect that during brewing there is hot water slipping through the side of the filter rather than passing through the grounds. Does this make any sense? Is this typical of a lighter roast?

On a somewhat unrelated coffee note, I sometimes buy beans at Whole Foods. They put "roast dates" on the coffee bean bins. I think those dates are a load of crap, and might be misleading. I have purchased beans that supposedly were roasted just a couple of days before, but when brewed it is obvious that they are much older. Meh.

basically the darker the roast the more co2 in the beans which means more bloom. light roasts are lower in co2 so less bloom. lighter roasts are also heavier which perhaps makes the grounds slide to the bottom of your drip cone.

My scale came yesterday afternoon, so this morning I tried the 60:1000 ratio. Wow that is way more coffee than I was using. I'd guess a third more.
I'm using a De Longhi DCM-900 with a Frieling gold filter. Bodum bistro burr grinder, and I set it one click finer than drip. Sumatra and yirgacheffe got mixed together in the burr grinder by the house cleaner.
I noticed right away more brightness in my first cup. Pretty friggin delicious.
Next week once I've gone through the accidental blend I'll try it with some of the yirgacheffe solo.

Any input on my setup guys?

Huh - my lighter roasts bloom just fine... I suspect there's at least another big factor.
Well, I guess I'll have to do some experiments with photo documentation. Which means I'll need to hit Birdrock Coffee for some lighter roasts. Darn the luck.

Dude, you are an enabler.

Well, I guess I'll have to do some experiments with photo documentation. Which means I'll need to hit Birdrock Coffee for some lighter roasts. Darn the luck.

Dude, you are an enabler.

I have some that I'm roasting right now that's a blend of FC and C+ (Java and Mokha - part of a running experiment). Brewing them separately, the Java (FC) does in fact bloom a tad more... explosively? When I start the actual extraction pour, the bloom "pops" more as well. But both bloom, both "pop" (that is somewhat foam out of the bloom when you start pouring). I will say, it makes sense the way it's been explained that darker roasts should bloom more at first. It also makes sense there would be a sharper decline.

I suspect that it has to do with bean density. Denser coffees are typically worth roasting light for the complexity and clarity of flavor they offer. Most dark roasters buy lower density (i.e. - lower quality) coffees and impart more roast to the flavor profile, in which case, spending more for a denser coffee would be a waste of money (or just not feasible -> i.e - Starbucks).

I suspect that the difference between two blooms of the same coffee at two roast levels (same roast time and percentage loss) would yield roughly the same bloom and brew dynamics.

Just my two cents - I use the coffees from Terroir which are a lighter roast and I ALWAYS get a bloom. Whether I use a Chemex, French Press or my Technivorm drip (use with "door" closed for 60 seconds).

I have gone to George Howell's Terroir tastings in Acton, Mass several times and they stated the bloom was a clear sign of freshness.

For weight ratios, my coffee to water is 32 kg of coffee to 17 ounces of water (4 cup mark on a Technivorm) and I think the taste is excellent.

Gene

Just my two cents - I use the coffees from Terroir which are a lighter roast and I ALWAYS get a bloom. Whether I use a Chemex, French Press or my Technivorm drip (use with "door" closed for 60 seconds).

I have gone to George Howell's Terroir tastings in Acton, Mass several times and they stated the bloom was a clear sign of freshness.

For weight ratios, my coffee to water is 32 kg of coffee to 17 ounces of water (4 cup mark on a Technivorm) and I think the taste is excellent.

Gene

32kg?! Holy crap!

Gene
I see that you are a member of the MEGA UPDOSE club lol.

Gene

WHOOPS with a capital W :biggrin1: I should have said 32 g or 1 1/8 oz! I guess I could shave in 1 second flat with that much juice!!!!

Gene

OK, here I am again. I just got some really nice Guatemala beans, and they are roasted on the light side. Regarding the "full city" versus lighter roast differences, I've noticed that my Beehouse dripper seems to flow much faster with lighter roasts (with other variables the same, e.g., grind size, weight of coffee used, amount of water used, filter type, etc.). I am trying to figure out what is causing this. Is it the oil in the beans, the gas being released, etc.?

This also makes me wonder whether I'm under-extracting my light roasted coffee. I don't use a timer or anything with the dripper, I just try to slowly pour to a certain level and then keep it there.

Meh.

Resident coffee geeks, sound off!

OK, here I am again. I just got some really nice Guatemala beans, and they are roasted on the light side. Regarding the "full city" versus lighter roast differences, I've noticed that my Beehouse dripper seems to flow much faster with lighter roasts (with other variables the same, e.g., grind size, weight of coffee used, amount of water used, filter type, etc.). I am trying to figure out what is causing this. Is it the oil in the beans, the gas being released, etc.?

This also makes me wonder whether I'm under-extracting my light roasted coffee. I don't use a timer or anything with the dripper, I just try to slowly pour to a certain level and then keep it there.

Meh.

Resident coffee geeks, sound off!

When the beans are roasted lighter, they maintain a higher density. So, even though the weight might be the same (24g of light roast is only "X" number of beans, but 24g of a dark roasted coffee is going to be "X+Y" number of beans), the volume of material is higher, and perhaps the higher volume of grounds is slowing down the brew at darker roasts.

Grind a touch finer and see what happens.

For a 12oz Hario V60 Pour over I use 22g of beans (mostly all CityPlus to FullCity roasts), for a 16oz cup I use 28g. And, I typically brew at approx 200F.

Top Bottom