What's new

Third Straight Shave

I had my third full shave with a straight today. I have done partial shaves several times in the past. I have only shaved three full shaves with a straight; twice last week and once today. I got a haircut today; haircut day shaves are my favorite. I went a little outside the norm with my pre-shave since I was able to make a bit of extra time. I usually just wash my face and let the soap sit on my face for a few minutes during my shower. Today I tried some stuff called Shave Secret that I found at Walmart. It's supposed to be an oil that you use instead of shaving cream. I bought it with the intention of trying it as a pre-shave.

After my shower I applied the Shave Secret and used an almost hot towel on my face. I lathered some homemade shaving soap and went to town with a Gold Dollar that was loaned to me. It's not one of the current production Gold Dollar razors from China. It's a vintage blade with Howard on the tang stamp. I ended up getting a solid DFS shave with almost no irritation. The extent of the irritation was a decent burn when I put on some Clubman. Clubman isn't the greatest, but it's my "go to" AS for my haircut day shaves.

Thank you all for helping me get to this point. I have been lurking in the Straight Razor part of B&B off and on for a while. I also owe a huge thanks to a new friend of mine that I met on B&B. He helped me overcome a confidence issue that was getting in the way of progressing with a straight. He also gave me some great hands on instruction on honing.

Now its just a matter of time and patience until I get better.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Good deal man! Glad to hear its going well for you. Keep it up and have fun!

David

Also, looking forward to seeing you in the honing section. You'll be there soon enough, I guarantee it :)

I have several Arkansas stones that were left to me by my Dad. One of the stones is possibly some kind of synthetic and another one that is possibly some kind of European stone. It was suggested that I take some photos of it to try and identify it. I haven't had a chance to take pictures. I bought a Cnat stone last week. I will soon be picking up a 600 grit lapping plate, 1,000 grit stone and 5,000ish stone. I think that should get me started. Once I get a little bit of practice under my belt I will purchase a nice Jnat finishing stone.

David

Sweet. Yeah there's a couple guys over there that are really knowledgable about the Arkansas stones. Papafish, oakshott, and alum of potash. The Arkansas are pretty popular now. Like you said, when you have time take some pics and post a mystery stone thread in the hones section. I'm curious about the European stone.

Last edited:
Good show! You're off to a great start and all it takes is time, patience, and perseverance. Keep it up!

By all means lap those stones up and ask the fellas in the honing section to help identify. I am amazed at how good they are at it!

Thank you. I'm by no means proficient with a straight razor, but I've had enough shaves that I have confidence that I can learn this in time. I'm trying to hone my razors with the stone I have. The Arkansas stones mentioned above are smaller stones that look more for pocket knives. I would imagine they could do some work on a razor.
I still need to pick up a 1k stone and lapping plate. I will likely use some film until I can get a proper Jnat finisher. My list of "I wants" is not getting any shorter. I now have 4 straights and one more on its way.

Top Bottom