What's new

Third Child / Daycare

So...the wife strongly suggested having a third child for the 100th time and I don't really want one. We got as close to an argument as you'll have (i.e. she got sad and went to bed), I poured myself a tall drink, then promptly went up to apologize and promise to not shoot down the idea and that we should wait at least a year until we seriously have the discussion. She was very happy about that.

Anyways, I have two kids. My son is six and fantastic. He was completely unplanned and it didn't work out with his mom but I have split custody. My daughter is six months old and just starting to do things like sleep through the night and not need to be held 100% of the time.

Three things are holding me back from the idea of having a third child...

1. Finances. Luckily, my son's mom works at a daycare and I've never had to pay, and he's in public school now. I won't have any before/after school costs or summer care costs for another two years. But my daughter goes to the same daycare and it costs $1600 per month. It's really a struggle financially now because I'm paying close to $1,000 per month in medical bills for the delivery, but that's going to ease up at the end of the year. And in another year or so, it will drop down to $1300 per month and eventually down to $1100 or so. But even then, add in another $1600 per month and you're looking at $2700 per mont. Then add in summer care or before/after school costs for my son, and we're way over $3000 per month in child care. That's the point that I look to hire a nanny, but I would be lucky to get one at $15/hour and that's again $2600 per month give or take.

2. Lifestyle. I make good money and my wife makes decent money. We're broke, but it's temporary. I had planned in a few years when daycare costs dropped to move to a nicer house in a nicer neighborhood with all the amenities. When my son was born, I sold my luxury car for a cheap Honda. I don't necessarily want a German, maybe just a Honda with leather. I see daycare as a massive expense but the light at the end of the tunnel is the end of daycare costs and having that $1500 per month (post tax mind you) to re-invest in our house, in vacations, hell just paying off debt, actually setting aside money for retirement (I have nothing in my 401k and I'm 31), and setting aside money for the kids and emergencies.

3. Relationships/Sanity. Before my daughter was born, I had my son half the time, which meant every other weekend my wife and I could have the house to ourselves, go out without needing a sitter, or just enjoy our evenings. That doesn't happen anymore. We have almost no time to ourselves, and when we do have time, we're so burned out that we can't enjoy it. I can't imagine a third child helps that at all. I also can't imagine going through another six months of zero sleep that eventually turns into the carousel of driving kids around from function to function as they get older.

So I just wrote some of the dumbest, whiniest stuff you could write. That's fine. I love my kids. My son, I say he gave me focus. I was 24 and drifting around miserably before he came along, after which he was really my reason to live, my direction so to speak. My daughter is a firebrand, and I know she's going to really push me and challenge me but it's fun to make her smile.

My questions to you gents...

The third child. If you had one, why did you have one? I've always envisioned having two kids (I was an only child, my wife had three siblings). What was different about it? Obviously I don't think anyone would regret having three, but were there any unexpected joys? How do they interact when they get older? Does it get easier or harder or just different over time?

Daycare. ***? For those of you with little ones, how do you manage multiple kids? Do you go the nanny route, or in-home, or a center, or stay at home? The latter isn't an option because my wife makes more than daycare for two kids, but I've tried to price it out.

I guess I'm looking for a little perspective and wisdom. This board has guys that have been there, done that, lived to tell about it. My generation is weird, I'll admit it. Would love to hear some advice, gents.

Ugh. So hard to answer since everyone is different. I'm about to be 37 and I have one child (3.5 years old). My wife has a 13.5 year old from first marriage who lives with their dad about an hour away.

We pay about $600/month for M-F daycare for the toddler. My wife wants to eventually quit working and just stay home. Right now she makes enough that it would hurt for her to quit. However, we both work irregular, non-traditional schedules. If I ever want my child involved in extracurricular activities, one of of will have to stop working, and it won't be me...she makes 1/2 my income so it will be her that quits WHEN it happens.

I've got good money in my retirement fund plus I'll get a pension when I retire. My current income is enough to cover our bills but I'd have to sacrifice some retirement plan investments and liquid savings if she quit.

Also, over population of the planet is a real thing. It's up to you as a couple to figure this out but maybe 3 kids is too many. It sounds cold, but future generations may have a hard time feeding everyone if everyone has too many kids.

I don't have any real answers for you it seems, but good luck with everything. I know it's hard.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Okay, I'm assuming that your wife doesn't have any other kids from previous relationships. Which means that you've got two, but she's only had one child. Okay, yeah, she loves your son and they get on great and he's part of the family and it's fine and all that but ... in terms of her actually bringing new life into this world ... she's only done it once.

I bet that seems like a low number to her.

This may be something you have to "suck up" for the greater good of family unity and happiness. I like that you put the decision off another 12 months or so, however: this gives you both time to let the idea "settle" and both consider it in depth. One thing I'd suggest is that you talk with her now about the budget concerns, along this line: "honey, I worry that we can't afford another child. Here's what I think another child will cost us ... daycare ... food ... yada yada ... (set out the numbers.) So, let's see if we can actually live with those expenses for a year. We'll put that much money into a savings account each month as if we had spent it on our new baby, and see if we can survive and pay off our debts and so forth."

That way, you show her that you are serious NOW about considering it in the future, not just 'putting her off'. That way, you and she both get to see what it would be like financially to have another child. Maybe it's not as bad as you think ... maybe it's worse than she thinks. Maybe over that year she gets to thinking ... yeah ... I don't really feel like going through pregnancy again. Who knows? Maybe she comes to enjoy what little free time she has left, too.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I make good money and my wife makes decent money. We're broke, ... When my son was born, I sold my luxury car for a cheap Honda. I don't necessarily want a German, maybe just a Honda with leather.

Sanity. Before my daughter was born, I had my son half the time, which meant every other weekend my wife and I could have the house to ourselves, go out without needing a sitter, or just enjoy our evenings. That doesn't happen anymore. We have almost no time to ourselves, and when we do have time, we're so burned out that we can't enjoy it. I can't imagine a third child helps that at all. I also can't imagine going through another six months of zero sleep that eventually turns into the carousel of driving kids around from function to function as they get older.

Daycare. ***?

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited by a moderator:
We have three. 25 year-old daughter and sons 22 and 18. I was thinking two, so the idea of #3 was a little novel to me. I was focused on the practical things you mentioned like $$.

My advice - go for it. We love all our children, but I kinda of look at #3 as a bonus. He gives another child to enjoy because they all three have different personalities and interests.

We have met so many other great kids and families via our own children and only having two would have reduced that circle significantly.

Can you afford #3 and is it practical? Probably not. Is there any greater blessing than healthy, happy children, absolutely not.

Plus all the practice is very fun!!

We planned for 2, but the second was a two-fer.

My oldest daughter is 22, and the twins (boy and girls) 20. All are happy, healthy and productive college students.

This despite a lifetime of cheap vacations, riding in used cars, and few if any restaurant meals, movie premiers or "must have" Christmas gifts.

It's a tough call, and everyone's circumstance is different, but I wouldn't trade the past 20+ years for anything ... or any of our "babies" for that matter!

we make it work with my wife working part time, having family watch the kids part time, and daycare part time. The Mrs. had a job that was a lot of evenings, but we couldn't afford full time daycare. It was difficult, but we are making it. I love my wife and my children. Good advice so far from others.

My wife and I were done w/ kids and then we went away for the weekend and came back w/ a souvenir.:lol: We now have 3 daughters ages 16, 12, and 3 and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I think it's smart that you decided to revisit the topic later but in my humble opinion, you never have enough money for what you want for your kids. Just plan the best that you can, which it sounds like you are doing, and embrace what life brings you.

I want to say just give your wife another child and make her happy, you will be broke already having 2 kids so what difference will another really make. Then I read your whole post again, and it sounds like you really love your kids, a 3rd would be just as loved.

Re-read your own post, it'll probably answer the question for you.

I totally get you. With a 6 month old you have not had a chance to forget the drudgery of caring for an infant. After a year or so more you do tend to forget and it will make the decision in the wife's favor more likely. I have three but was lucky enough with my finances to afford a nanny. Kids are great but super expensive. Plan to be supporting each one financially until they are 25 and you won't under budget (and that is only if they are born healthy - longer if they are not). My belief is that the main reason a woman tolerates a man living with them is because they want to raise kids. Just know that you could be seriously jeopardizing your marriage if you say no to more kids. It is a super big decision to have a child, so do not enter into it lightly. P.S. After my third child I had a vasectomy to close the door to more kids.

I have no kids, but I've been very involved with my best friend's two, now 16 and 13, since their births. Oh, if you can, get a nanny. It's so much nicer to have the kids in their own home, with a loving nanny. My friend got a fabulous nanny for twelve years, $30k a year. Expensive? Yes, but the freedom it gave her and her husband to work their hours without having to worry about ferrying kids all over all the time was priceless.

Thanks for the input guys.

Nanny would have to be the option because it would be cheaper than day care.

We would absolutely have to be out of credit card and student loan debt before we could afford that, so maybe that's an incentive. I should the rest of my cards paid off by January but don't know where my wife is at on that stuff.

I only have one and he is 16 months old. My wife is already wanting to start trying for another one. I am in a similar position as you are. I keep telling her let's wait until he is 2 years old, then start talking about it. My worst nightmare is two kids in diapers. But I agree with the above, there is never a right time to have kids... but good parents always find a way to make it work, and you sir seem like a great dad... get the 6 month old a little older then start down the road to #3.

We planned for 2, but the second was a two-fer.

My story starts the same ... my oldest is 14 and my twins will be 10 in a matter of days. However, their mom and I split, but still maintain an excellent relationship for our kids.

As far as daycare goes, we were lucky ... one of her aunts wasn't working so we "hired" her to watch first our oldest, then our twins. We didn't have to spend a fortune and our kids got loving care during the day. If that's a possibility for you, explore it!

Enter my fiancee (16 days and counting), and she has a soon to be 7 year old. So I went from being kid free every other weekend, to having my step daughter around all the time, and honestly, it's been an adjustment.

And let me tell you, as a single dad I've been making HUGE sacrifices for my kids, and at times I grumble about it, but in the end it's worth it. It's a little easier now, as we have dual incomes, but we still make sacrifices.

As BSAguy said ... is it affordable and practical? No, but it's worth it. As was said to me once ... if you wait to have kids until you can afford them, you'll never have them.

Most of all ... communicate with your wife ... tell her your concerns and work as a team to resolve them :) Good luck!

Our only child is almost 19. would have LOVED a second, but it never happened. No tears here . . . happy and healthy is all I ever wanted.
You commented about not knowing the status of your wife's C.C. debt. That is a MAJOR issue, in my mind. Finances is one of the BIGGEST causes of marital distress, and not knowing EXACTLY where you stand is going to cause problems down the road. I would suggest that all the financial cards need to be face up when you have this discussion in the not too distant future.

That said, you're paying for two, so it won't take much scrimping to pay for three. The BIG ticket items will be 10+ years down the road anyway . . .

I wanted two and my wife wanted four (or more). I thought we were done after our first two boys, but my wife had other plans and we ended up with my daughter. Like many have said, you'll never have enough time, money, energy, etc. for more kids, but you'll never regret having them. Have the discussions with your wife now about the concerns your having, so that she know, but make sure to listen to her side of the story and give it due consideration. In the end, its a decision that you'll both have to make together, but you'll probably be happy having a third and making it work (and then immediately getting a vasectomy). Good luck!

Thanks again guys.

I've spent the last couple days trying to game plan the finances. I have a feeling we will end up with a third at some point so I need to have a plan.

When we had one, my wife worked second shift (nurse) so I could be with him evenings, and we only needed a sitter for an hour or two a day. When we had our second, she quit her job (basically) and stayed home until they were both in school. We drove WAY used cars, cooked at home 363 days a year... I took a different job where I had to travel some, but could pretty much work all the overtime I could handle.

When you aren't buying work clothes, lunches, making a better car payment, paying for day care, eating out cause everyone's too busy to cook, you'd be amazed at how much money you don't spend.

At the time, we thought we were sacrificing for our kids. Looking back, with one out of high school, and another only a couple of years left at home, I wouldn't trade that time they had with their mother for anything. We thought we were broke, but nobody ever lacked for a thing, and our kids got to be with their mom.

I did try the numbers to see if my wife could stay at home but I would have to be making six figures to make that work.

Top Bottom