What's new

Thinning out the Liquor Cabinet

Some background...long before RAD, I had (and still have) a BAD (beverage acquisition disorder)...

It started several years ago after grad school (read "I finally can drink above the "well") and developed an interest in Scotch Whiskies, I kept things fairly in control, keeping one blend (usually JWBlack) one "regular" Single-eg Glenmorangie, Balveinie Double Wood or Macallan 12, along with one "special" or obscure bottle...

Soon thereafter I wanted to know how to make a proper Martini and Manhattan, and this was about the time the internet began to become "the" encyclopedia of the universe...and next thing I knew I was fast in deep to the world of the pre-prohibition cocktail...and I HAD to have every obscure ingredient I could find...even if it was only a 1/2oz in any particular drink I might make...needless to say I suddenly had a cabinet filled with many different ingredients...

More recently I have realised that my tastes are much more simple, and I usually want what I set out for to begin with..a Martini or Manhattan (or a Negroni), and a few variations on those themes and find I dont need all that I have..so I have began to "drink up" my cabinet (e.g. tonight i finally polished my Genever and Aperol)

So my question to you all...what have you bought for your cocktail adventures that...

a) you would continue to replace besides the staples-gin, whisk(e)y, vodka etc (for me Campari will stay, along with an Amaro or two)
b) you enjoyed but wouldn't replace (for me e.g. the two I finished tonight, I'll stick with gin and whiskey instead of genever, and Campari wins over Aperol any day)
c) anything you think will never get finished for one reason or another? (Creme de Viollette here)

fyi..my BAD is now focused on American Whiskey (Bourbon and Rye) and still have a single malt Scotch BAD

have fun with this one, looking forward to hearing your responses

Cheers
Scott

Im a big fan of Maker's Mark bourbon. Its very reasonable and I enjoy it quite a bit. Ive stumbled onto bourbon in the last year also. Also try out Gentleman Jack its very smooth. I recently had a bottle of Maker's Mark "46" which is aged in oak barrels giving it that bold oak flavor.

I have these as my staples:
- Campari
- Pernod
- Gin (Beefeater for everyday, and Hendricks for a change)
- Dark Rum (Flor de Caña or a Hawaiian Rum, Koloa)
- Araucano (a Chilean bajativo, similar to an Italian Amaro)
- a Calvados

Recent owners of a spot are a good bottle of cachaça, and a couple bottles of assorted bitters

I have too many schnapps/liqueurs. Granted I think I use them more for icecream flavors than mixing...

As to getting rid of things... if you haven't hosted a party where you used something or made one for houseguests in a couple of years, I would drink it out and not replace it.

Other than the staples and easy drinks that everyone knows, I haven't made something special for anyone or myself in a long time.

interesting post. ive recently gone through a similar journey.

continue to replace - apple brandy (bonded), torani amer (picon punch), carpano antica (and punt e mes), campari. and im just getting into quinquinas which may become the next problem.
enjoyed but wont replace - funny just had this discussion about aperol with a friend last night - its good, just not Campari good! Cocchi aperitivo americano, Bols Genever (not 100% sure if i enjoyed)
not sure will get finished - creme yvette and violette, apricot brandy, swedish punsch, falernum, maraschino, pimento dram

its also worth noting that Ive recently gotten over rye acquisition disorder and rum acquisition disorder. I do not foresee overcoming scotch AD anytime soon, in fact, it seems to be getting worse.

Last edited:
interesting post. ive recently gone through a similar journey.

continue to replace - apple brandy (bonded), torani amer (picon punch), carpano antica (and punt e mes), campari. and im just getting into quinquinas which may become the next problem.
enjoyed but wont replace - funny just had this discussion about aperol with a friend last night - its good, just not Campari good! Cocchi aperitivo americano, Bols Genever (not 100% sure if i enjoyed)
not sure will get finished - creme yvette and violette, apricot brandy, swedish punsch, falernum, maraschino, pimento dram

its also worth noting that Ive recently gotten over rye acquisition disorder and rum acquisition disorder. I do not foresee overcoming scotch AD anytime soon, in fact, it seems to be getting worse.

similar..? Very Similar journey indeed, I went thru a Rum AD myself, Will likely keep only one sipper tin the cabinet at any given time going forward, and a white (appleton) for summertime mojitos...totally my thoughts on Aperol/Campari...Aperol is Campari for posers! (LOL), and I am also not sure I "100%" enjoyed the Genever I tried eiher (Genivieve from San Fran)

I cannot fine Torani Amer where I am so I have Amaro Cio Ciaro for a close fill-in for my Brooklyn Cocktails

As for Marschino, I am happy to go thru that slowly, there are a few things I enjoy that in, but may not replace it going forward, but it will get finished
I have been looking for Pimento dram in the past, along with Swedish Punsch, but as part of this revalation, unlikely I will look going forward!

well now you've gotten me intrigued by amaro ciociaro. Not helping....

btw my local Bevmo carries Torani Amer and St Elisabeth allspice liqueur (pimento dram). Swedish punsch is much harder to source. Mine came back in a suitcase from a business trip to Linkoping Sweden.

Last edited:
a) St. Germain is going to become a new must have for my cabinet. Paired with Hendricks gin and a little lime, it makes a fantastic gimlet. It also goes well with apple brandy, muddled apple and lime.
b) Any of the honey whiskeys. They didn't suck, but weren't good either. They're just too thick and sweet.
c) There are several liqueors that I won't be finishing. Guests might, but I won't. They were bought to serve as shot mixers back when.

I'm a pretty simple drinker. I keep New Amsterdam gin on hand for gin and tonics, Hendricks for martinis or their recommended version of a Gimlet, a good Rye and sweet vermouth for manhattans, vodka for red bull and vodka, jager for shots with the wife, and single malt scotches for, well, single malt scotch. I also drink a good bit of wine and beer, but the above are about as complicated as my mixed drinks get.

a) St. Germain is going to become a new must have for my cabinet. Paired with Hendricks gin and a little lime, it makes a fantastic gimlet. It also goes well with apple brandy, muddled apple and lime.

St germain stays with us too, because my wife likes it, I do/did enjoy it on occaision, it adds a bit to the negroni if you add it in equal portions it becomes the Quattroni, she likes it with Sake and in a Gimlet as well.
b) Any of the honey whiskeys. They didn't suck, but weren't good either. They're just too thick and sweet.

I have gone thru these as well, alas the original Wild Turkey American Honey is my favorite, couldnt stand Jack's Version-way too much Vanilla, in fact talked someone at the liquor store out of buying it once...but I agree, I think I have bought my last bottle...nothing compares to the two "Sweet" things I will keep on hand...Drambuie (for the winter) and Benedicitine (year round for BnB's), they are the originals and dont have any competition in my mind
c) There are several liqueors that I won't be finishing. Guests might, but I won't. They were bought to serve as shot mixers back when.

I'm a pretty simple drinker. I keep New Amsterdam gin on hand for gin and tonics, Hendricks for martinis or their recommended version of a Gimlet, a good Rye and sweet vermouth for manhattans, vodka for red bull and vodka, jager for shots with the wife, and single malt scotches for, well, single malt scotch. I also drink a good bit of wine and beer, but the above are about as complicated as my mixed drinks get.
yes, back to a simpler drink life...

Will replace: Amaro Cio Ciaro (sub for Amir Picon), Cocchi Aperitivo Americano (sub for Kina Lillet), Campari, Cointreau, O3, Domaine de Canton, Maraschino, Sambuca, Peppermint Schnapps, Cinnamon Schnapps, Plymouth Sloe Gin, Gran Marnier, Pimms Cup, Drambuie

May never finish but would replace: Herbsaint, Green Chartruse, Yellow Chartruse, Benedictine, Creme de Violette, Cherry Heering

Will not Replace: Tuaca, Swedish Punsch, St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram, Jagermeister, Gran Gala, Frangelico, St. Germain, Ouzo

Always have Pama and Cointreau to make a SWMBO (2 parts vodka, 1 part Pama, 1 part Cointreau, 1 part cranberry juice, splash of lime) or a Sweet SWMBO (substitute pineapple juice for Pama).

I keep dry vermouth for my martinis (pour over ice, let sit for a few seconds, then pour out vermouth, pour in Hendricks/Martin Miller/Beefeaters/Bombay Sapphire...not all at once :lol:).

Though I drink my whiskey neat or with a splash, depending on the bottle, since I'm in the Shave Purchase Sabbatical it seems like the logical year to start experimenting with cocktails. Old-fashioneds and Manhattans seem to be a given. What else should I be trying?

I keep dry vermouth for my martinis...

How could I forget dry and sweet vermouth? and Dubonnet...

Though I drink my whiskey neat or with a splash, depending on the bottle, since I'm in the Shave Purchase Sabbatical it seems like the logical year to start experimenting with cocktails. Old-fashioneds and Manhattans seem to be a given. What else should I be trying?

You're a Rye guy, you might like these.
http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2011/...tial-rye-cocktails-what-to-make-with-rye.html

I read the thread title and was hoping for a PIF :biggrin1:

I generally keep a bourbon, gin for summer, and scotch/brandy for the cooler months

I always have have bottle of Macallan 12 or 15. I love Vodka and really love Tito's made in Austin. I have recently started drinking Rebecca Creek Whiskey made in San Antonio,TX. I prefer most all liquor "neat".

I'm not faithful to many brands, but I do have to have a bottle of each of the following at all times:

single malt scotch
blended scotch (for cocktails)
Irish whiskey
bourbon
tequila

If I could stretch that even more, I'd like to always have a good bottle of gin and a good bottle of rye. I can do without vodka, rum, or any of the other stuff.

Top Bottom