What's new

Thinning Murray's Superior Pomade with baby oil

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I generally keep my hair short. If the tips are higher than my fingers when I finger-comb, then I bring out the clippers. However, in my long forgotten youth, the ladies at work would make rat tails or braid my hair on midnight shift (boring IT operations stuff in the '80s) and my hair could reach my mouth if I combed it down in front. Water-based gels are what I used back then.

Yup, along with my youth, those big hair days are long gone. :wheelchair:

I recently picked up some Murray's Superior pomade and have been using it for the past few days. My first real pomade and my first "hair care" product in about 30 years. One thing though, I'm finding it very thick and I just need a little bit to put my fine sparse hair into place. I had hoped to find a lighter pomade, but this was the only old school stuff that Sally's carried.

full

Since this is oil based and the ingredient list is pretty simple (petroleum, mineral oil and fragrance), I figured it was worth a shot to try to thin it out and make a lighter, more easily used product by adding some baby oil. So that's exactly what I did.

full

Gah, this stuff is messy on the fingers when you're mixing it together. :lol: I should have used a larger container and a popsicle stick.

Once I managed to get the consistency even, I now have something much softer that I hope will work well going forward. If it does, I'll transmogrify my whole tin.

full

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
What a messterpiece! :001_07:
It's all your fault. :tongue_sm

After chess club last night, I did go ahead and thin the whole tin. Doesn't look so bad now, does it? And it's much easier for me to get a small amount to easily work into my hair.
full

Not going for any slick look (washed hair last night, so this is a fresh start), but at least a part is semi-visible.
upload_2017-10-20_9-59-32.png

It looks like you heated the tin up to get the mix to settle. Does the mineral oil change the scent of the Murray's? I use a combination of baby oil and Tres Flores Brilliantine oil to de-grease once or twice a week. The baby oil overrides the scent of everything. All I can smell is that stuff. It's pretty awful. Murray's is great stuff!

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
No heat at all, just lots of stirring. It settled overnight in the bathroom (house is at 22C most of the time, approx 72F). The scent changed a little and now smells like a slightly powdery version of what it was, but the original scent is still the prevalent one. When I mixed it in the tin, I used a lower ratio of baby oil, gradually adding until it was stir-able with only moderate effort instead of strenuous.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I finger smooshed/smeared to get the post-popsicle stick mixing surface nice and smooth. It definitely would not have gone smooth like that on its own.

Your results looks like a manufactured product. Very professional job!

Murray's has a number of lighter pomades that they produce that will give you similar results to the concoction that you produced. They are as follows:

- Murray's Super Light - $3 per tin
- Murray's Hair Glo - $3
- Murray's Exelento - $6

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Thanks, David. Alas, the Superior was all the local Sally's had (I checked two stores). Given my giant head'o'hair (LOL), this tin should last MANY months. After that, I'll see if I can source something lighter or go with the water-based stuff that many of the drug/beauty stores around here carry.

Yeah, there's a TON of different hair products to use, which is what makes it so neat. I'm into vintage pomades, as you can tell. It's interesting to know that I'm using a product that been around forever.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
The thinned out Murray's is working pretty well for me. I can easily wash my fingers with some liquid soap after applying it, and when I go to wash my hair, my normal bar soap removes it quickly. No complaints from SWMBO either, so after a few weeks in, I have to say that this is coming along nicely.

Top Bottom