What's new

thinning diamond paste liquids

have .5 .25 and .1 on the way.

evil balsa strop plan about to come together. muuuuh ha ha.

so I know slash has mentioned using acetone to thin the paste.

has anyone used any other liquids or solvents for this?

90% alcohol, moonshine, any other wierd or usable mixture?

thanks all.

camo

You don't need to thin it out. Just dot it out around the balsa and spread with your finger

If you really want to thin it out, rubbing alcohol or acetone will work just fine

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
have .5 .25 and .1 on the way.

evil balsa strop plan about to come together. muuuuh ha ha.

so I know slash has mentioned using acetone to thin the paste.

has anyone used any other liquids or solvents for this?

90% alcohol, moonshine, any other wierd or usable mixture?

thanks all.

camo
You sure I said that? I mostly use acetone for removing glue residue from acrylic plates. I don't thin paste. I don't think it is necessary. Just dot it around and rub it in, then give it a good wipe with an old tshirt to remove any paste left on the surface.

You sure I said that? I mostly use acetone for removing glue residue from acrylic plates. I don't thin paste. I don't think it is necessary. Just dot it around and rub it in, then give it a good wipe with an old tshirt to remove any paste left on the surface.

yep.

thing #3

its briefly mentioned.......

🤟

camo

I guess I was just thinking that if the voodoo hoodoo (thinners) changed things on a microscopic level that cant be observed or measured.....might be a result worth testing or evaluating.

camo

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
yep.

thing #3

its briefly mentioned.......

🤟

camo
Ah. Okay. Well either I was drunk or I have changed my mind, one or the other. But by all means, try it both ways. Or try it my way. Or try it your way. Whatevah. Not my razor.

I hereby and forthwith release EVERYONE from their obligation to do things my way. You are all at liberty to do things any way you like. Including ways that I used to say were okay and then said were not anymore.

See? WHO SAYS I have no diplomacy skills?

Ah. Okay. Well either I was drunk or I have changed my mind, one or the other. But by all means, try it both ways. Or try it my way. Or try it your way. Whatevah. Not my razor.

I hereby and forthwith release EVERYONE from their obligation to do things my way. You are all at liberty to do things any way you like. Including ways that I used to say were okay and then said were not anymore.

See? WHO SAYS I have no diplomacy skills?

apologies, I hope you took no offense.

i was just making sure i wasnt missing something. you say no dilution......then I'll take that as gospel.

you guys are the ones who know your s*$@. I'm just a simple man trying to learn what is known to work.......and work well.

I wanna get this right.....and not botch it up man.

be well.

camo

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
apologies, I hope you took no offense.

i was just making sure i wasnt missing something. you say no dilution......then I'll take that as gospel.

you guys are the ones who know your s*$@. I'm just a simple man trying to learn what is known to work.......and work well.

I wanna get this right.....and not botch it up man.

be well.

camo
HAHAHA of course not. I rarely take offense at internet. I just happen to be faintly aware of the very unlikely but yet vaguely possible idea that maybe I am seen by some few as being an autocratic know-it-all. Seriously, I don't dilute. I just dit dot it on and rub it in deep. I have a pictorial tutorial somewhere elsewhere on the web but I can't post the url here and I don't feel like copying and pasting everything bit by bit into a post here.

557EE84D-C724-4234-968E-2DB067353653.jpeg

A few drops of mineral oil works well for me. I’ve got 50% diamond paste and it is super thick. Way to thick too spread evenly. A couple of drops is all you need for a light and even application. The oil makes diamond paste easy to spread and it soaks into the wood. It works really well.

Top Bottom