What's new

Thinking to get a Blackland Blackbird

Hi at all,

as the title notes I‘m thinking to get a Blackland Blackbird razor but otherwise I am wondering if the shaving will be a completely different experience or even the performance is any better than my RR Game Changer .84, my current daily driver.
What do you think? Will the investment worth it or not?
For more than 2 days of growth i use my DS.Z0 in stainless steel.
And I am waiting for delivery of a DS.S9 Ti (hope it is similar to the GC .84 but in titanium).
Thank you

Hi at all,

as the title notes I‘m thinking to get a Blackland Blackbird razor but otherwise I am wondering if the shaving will be a completely different experience or even the performance is any better than my RR Game Changer .84, my current daily driver.
And I am waiting for delivery of a DS.S9 Ti (hope it is similar to the GC .84 but in titanium).
Thank you
I don’t have either of the DS razors you noted, but my current top razor is the Ti Blackbird and I used to most of the Gamechangers. The BB is much more efficient than the Gamechanger SB with more blade feel. It’s as efficient as the .84 Jaws but smoother.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I have the DSCosmetic Z0...but I do not have a Blackbird. I think the question will end up being...is the Blackbird as efficient as the Z0?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The BB is a completely different razor than the .84 GC. Your best bet is to just order one and make use of Shane's 30 return policy if you don't like it. I would suggest a very shallow angle with the BB as it makes the razor a very smooth shaver.
I would love to point out with more than just a thumbs up that this is also my impression. Couldn't have said it better.

The BB wants one to ride the cap more rather than the bar, the OC even more so than the SB. It's very efficient and comfy then, go steep and you will literally hear the blade and feel it not so nicely, that's not its angle.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Since I live in Europe, I would have to pay customs duties and taxes just to test the Blackbird. This currently keeps me from a purchase for testing purposes.
I hear you. This is why I didn't buy the Dart, price was nice, but express shipping, taxes and customs on top of that and all that... my Blackbird already cost me an arm and a leg, particularly as I ordered a SB plate, the OC wasn't quite for me. The BB is very good, but the shallow angle totally goes against my grain and habits.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I have the DSCosmetic Z0...but I do not have a Blackbird. I think the question will end up being...is the Blackbird as efficient as the Z0?
No. The BB will get you a more comfortable shave and it also delivers a very close shave. The main question is IMO rather if you like the angle. I am much too much used to steep for the shallow angle the Blackbird wants. Strangely enough, I have no problem usually to adjust my angle as needed. But the BB wants that one shallow angle. As a counter-example, the Smart Helix Apollo Light e.g. allows a huge variety of angles with different cutting characteristics, both scraping and smooth types of shave.
The thing is, getting the same "marble skin" effect of the R41/Z0, where even a layer of skin gets shaved away, no hint of stubble to be felt anymore anywhere, that's beyond most razors. But many get close while allowing the shaver an almost careless shave, the R41/Z0 require a bit more practice and attention.

Hi at all,

Thank you
Bend your finger and run your nail across your jaw or cheek. That's the feel of a Blackbird blade. Pure pleasure.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I would love to point out with more than just a thumbs up that this is also my impression. Couldn't have said it better.

The BB wants one to ride the cap more rather than the bar, the OC even more so than the SB. It's very efficient and comfy then, go steep and you will literally hear the blade and feel it not so nicely, that's not its angle.
I didn’t get good Blackbird shaves until I learned how to shave steep. Very steep. I get much smoother and closer shaves from the BB steep than I ever got with a shallow angle.

When I first got my BB it was love and hate. I would get close shaves but I really had to pay attention or I'd get bit. Consequently, I didn't reach for it often. Recently though, we just clicked. Now I'm getting consistent close, smooth shaves. 👌

Generally, following the bevel on the cap will give you a good angle, but once you understand the razor, any angle will work. Because you always feel the blade, if you use a light touch you'll naturally find the angle that works best for any part of your face. For me, getting there took time, but now it's automatic. That took longer than 30 days though, because I don't like to use any razor for more than a week or two before moving on to another.

I say this because if you buy it and don't like it, don't return it, just come back to it later. I would predict that eventually you'd love it.

FWIW, I prefer the longer handle for the stainless model. For Ti you have no choice, but the short handle works fine. I also prefer the SB over the OC. YMMV

To answer your other question - the BB is nothing like the GC in any variant.

Good luck!

Blackbirds.jpg

Generally, following the bevel on the cap will give you a good angle, but once you understand the razor, any angle will work. Because you always feel the blade, if you use a light touch you'll naturally find the angle that works best for any part of your face.
^^^ Great bit if info here.

When I first received my Ti Blackbird I used a steep angle for probably close to a year until I read some advice from Shane and now depending on what part of my face I'm shaving I will use both, steep and shallow, angles to achieve the high quality BBS I am used to and expect from any razor I've ever used.

I've never used a GC and the only RR razor I've ever used was the Wunderbar slant and would say the shave and blade feel of the Ti Blackbird would be very close to it imo...

Hi at all,

Thank you
Get the Bird….you won’t regret it. Fabulous razor with fantastic performance. I have the GC 84 and it sucks in comparison to put it bluntly. I hated the 84 from first shave. The Blackbird is blade forward and for me performs best with a steep angle. Blackland has them for $150 at the moment….that’s a no brainer right there.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I think maybe @Ron R should post his graphic what is steep and what is shallow again, I am not sure if we are all on the same page when talking about steep and shallow angles.

When it comes to steep, I just ran the Blackbird over my face dry, due to low stubble no pain at all, unlike watching soccer on TV right now, it does a bit of scraping but... doing this rather shallow, going more towards the cap, as Blackland themselves rather recommended over and over again here, actually cuts and does it better. 🤷‍♂️

But whatever works for you. I also apparently run the Timeless Slim OC using the wrong angle, as I do it very steep. Maybe it is the same for the Bird, even if I really don't get it. Maybe I will try again with some more hair to remove soon. :001_smile

Apparently it's customary for every member here to sooner or later get a Blackbird. If anyone thinks about getting the fitting stand for the BB, get rather the short handle, my long handle tilts all the time in it.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
When I first got my BB it was love and hate. I would get close shaves but I really had to pay attention or I'd get bit. Consequently, I didn't reach for it often. Recently though, we just clicked. Now I'm getting consistent close, smooth shaves. 👌

This was my exact experience. I jumped on the Blackbird very early. Like on the initial kickstarter early. But it was such a love/hate thing, that I actually ended up selling my first one. It was a rare Black Oxide original model. Really cool. Like a Darth Vader razor. I had both baseplates. Anyway, after struggling with it for a number of years, I sold it, and regretted it almost immediately. I learned how to shave steep, and started using much more aggressive razors. So I bought another one. A Brassbird. Now I got the Ti one.

This was my exact experience. I jumped on the Blackbird very early. Like on the initial kickstarter early. But it was such a love/hate thing, that I actually ended up selling my first one. It was a rare Black Oxide original model. Really cool. Like a Darth Vader razor. I had both baseplates. Anyway, after struggling with it for a number of years, I sold it, and regretted it almost immediately. I learned how to shave steep, and started using much more aggressive razors. So I bought another one. A Brassbird. Now I got the Ti one.
Wish I had gotten the black oxide one. Those were super cool.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I think maybe @Ron R should post his graphic what is steep and what is shallow again, I am not sure if we are all on the same page when talking about steep and shallow angles.

When it comes to steep, I just ran the Blackbird over my face dry, due to low stubble no pain at all, unlike watching soccer on TV right now, it does a bit of scraping but... doing this rather shallow, going more towards the cap, as Blackland themselves rather recommended over and over again here, actually cuts and does it better. 🤷‍♂️

But whatever works for you. I also apparently run the Timeless Slim OC using the wrong angle, as I do it very steep. Maybe it is the same for the Bird, even if I really don't get it. Maybe I will try again with some more hair to remove soon. :001_smile

Apparently it's customary for every member here to sooner or later get a Blackbird. If anyone thinks about getting the fitting stand for the BB, get rather the short handle, my long handle tilts all the time in it.
Not sure what one because I have a few, These will work!
Razor angle 2.jpg
Safety_Razor_Parameters_around_Blade_Cutting_Edge (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom