What's new

Thinking of using the same brush every shave starting Jan. 1...

As of 01 Jan, I went minimalist. My only brush is Noble Otter's synthetic brush. The handle is easy to grip, and it whips up great lather using their 'Lone Star' scent soap. When I finish shaving, I scrape extra suds into my bowl and leave the brush in the bowl. I ladle very hot rain water on the bristles each morning to whip up the day's lather.

Somewhere around 12 years ago I used one brush on a daily basis. It was a massive Kent BK8 silvertip. It worked well for quite a while. And it would probably have outlived me if I took care of it. I never really cleaned it properly. The result was that after some years it started shedding its hairs. So using one brush will work if you maintain it well, but its kinda boring though.

I like to experiment with different aspects of this hobby. I'm curious to see how using the same brush every single shave for a whole year affects the brush. I have a Simpson Trafalgar that I don't love or don't hate. It's a very serviceable brush from a well known maker. I shave my face every single day, unless an emergency pops up, and shave my head every other day. The brush would get plenty of use.

My brush collection is pretty modest as it is. I never really went down a rabbit hole there. Would it be advisable to at least wet my other brushes (mostly boar, a few synthetics and one badger) occasionally or should they just stay dry over the course of the experiment?

I know many (most? all?) of us started with one brush and one brush only. Mine was a VDH boar from the drugstore. I wound up with 3 of them at one point because they lost so many hairs over the course of a few months shaves that I would buy another one to see if it was any better. I still have one of the three and use it a good bit now. After 20+ years it finally quit shedding. ;)

Any advice or comments? I figure I could check in here every so often and update the look/feel of the brush with some pictures. Since I don't have a rabbit hole for brushes, I think this is actually doable for me. I could never do it with razors, soaps, etc.
I only use one brush, when I do use it, mainly on weekends. I have the cheaper Omega Boar. It hangs on my razor stand a lot these days, being used only on weekends. It's in my signature pic. I started with VDH everything, till I learned from B&B about other brands. The VDH started shedding after about a year or so, and I also was experimenting with other blades. I have just been hand lathering lately, with just the bar soap on the sink, and I have gotten some pretty good shaves. Close, smooth, no irritation. Started with a shave soap, and it's ok, then tried a cream, and liked that, then just got tired of pulling everything out every morning, soaking the brush, rinsing the brush, cleaning the mug. So, one morning, running a little late, soaped up with the bar soap I use to wash my face, and just shaved with that, and it was really pretty good. Now, it's everyday, and I like it. So, go for it with one brush, and enjoy...

This thread reminded me that the month is almost over and my brush has gotten 76 uses for the month with face shaves, head shaves, facewashes and test lathers. I now share some of the same concerns in the linked thread. I'll upload some pics from my phone in a minute.

20230129_162316.jpg

There is definitely some wear in the knot looking straight down on it but it's not alarming to me. The hairs are definitely getting conditioned in the direction I lather, for sure The kicker is how the knot is noticeably flattened on top as the next picture shows.

20230129_162410.jpg

Again, this brush had no real love or hate to it when I started the experiment and that's why I chose it- plus a lot of other people own Simpson Trafalgar brushes and I thought it would be interesting for others as much as it is for me. I must admit, though, that I'm already hankering to use something else. 😉

Last edited:
View attachment 1597249

There is definitely some wear in the knot looking straight down on it but it's not alarming to me. The hairs are definitely getting conditioned in the direction I lather, for sure The kicker is how the knot is noticeably flattened on top as the next picture shows.

View attachment 1597250

Again, this brush had no real love or hate to it when I started the experiment and that's why I chose it- plus a lot of other people own Simpson Trafalgar brushes and I thought it would be interesting for others as much as it is for me. I must admit, though, that I'm already hankering to use something else. 😉
Just saw this thread. Great experiment. My guess is the brush will hold up well with minimal effect for the year. Used my Monster Plissoft 5-6 days a week for well over a year before adding a Big Bruce (same knot) with only minor effects on the dry know splay (similar to what you are showing above) and no effect on brush utility.

Look forward to seeing you your Simpson holds up over the year.

With over 230 uses total I have decided to end my experiment and let the brush rest some. Like other threads, mine is not holding up very well. Granted, it's a $20 brush, normally never got a chance to dry out well and it still works fine but I know I'll eventually ruin it with continued use. Plus, I'm bored with it in all honesty.

I did not intentionally try to abuse it and used it just like my other brushes. In it's defense, I have a Stirling Kong synthetic that looks quite similar to this one, so maybe it's just the type of knot that doesn't work well for me. I've mostly been a boar guy and that's what I'll mainly go back to. It was a fun experiment regardless. 👍

20230414_183421.jpg

Top Bottom