What's new

Thinking of trying some Mike's Natural Soaps

Any recommendations? You guys were dead on about Stirling Soaps, dead on about my Vintage Blades Badger brush (don't know how I lived before I got it) and I've heard nothing but good things about Mike's.

Lemongrass & Eucalyptus, Bay Rum, Barbershop, Rose & Cedarwood are all great. Orange & black pepper also gets a lot of love around here, but I didn't like it that much.

Aside from the scents, the performance is great. Perhaps the best glide of any of my soaps, including MWF and D.R. Harris. Last timr I used it I couldn't believe I had a blade in the razor. It takes a bit more water than my other soaps, but well worth the little extra effort, and very reasonably priced.

I enjoy Mike's soaps as well. I like the Barbershop and Orange Cedar & Black Pepper ones most. Many people seem to really like the Hungarian Lavender one as well but I haven't tried it yet.

Maybe try the new RazoRock XXX tallow. It's really excellent and, in my opinion, by far the best soap you'll find in the under $10 category.

My favorites, in order of preference:
Vetiver
Peppermint Rosemary
Orange Cedarwood Pepper
Barbershop
Bay Rum

Barbershop was a little too synthetic for me, and bay rum was just not my cup of tea. Love the other three. Vetiver is a LASTING scent, and if you like that kind of scent, it works well. Also the peppermint/rosemary has a nice menthol'esque cooling sensation which is lovely. Those two are my tops due to the added wow of extra lasting fragrance (and great vetiver scent) and the extra cooling factor of the mint. Looking forward to trying more as well. Enjoy!

Quick question : is it more of a hard soap (albeit the squishy type like Sterling) or are they creams like C & O and Razorock? I didn't like Razorock when I got a tub of it, I think I prefer whipping up the hard soap better.

I think it would be smart. Mike's is a very good soap. Maybe not in my top 5, but in my top dozen. I think what holds it back for me is basically two-fold. First, I have stuff that lathers easier. Mike's isn't awful in this regard, but I've got others that shave just as well, with a little less effort. The other issue is more subjective, but I'mn not wild about any of the scents. Pretty much all of them have this earthy note I'm not wild about. My suspicion is that there is something in the base (maybe the clay) that comes through in all the scents. All of that said, it is an excellent soap, and well worth trying

Quick question : is it more of a hard soap (albeit the squishy type like Sterling) or are they creams like C & O and Razorock? I didn't like Razorock when I got a tub of it, I think I prefer whipping up the hard soap better.

In the ballpark of Stirling, or maybe a little softer. Razorock is all over the place consistency wise, depending on the line

I just got the Hungarian Lavender in the mail today. My 2nd soap (A puck of Williams was my first when I started wet shaving). I lathered it up tonight. It takes more water than I thought, but it looks good. The smell is not over powering - it's pleasant. I think I will like it! It's what I'm shaving with tomorrow.

Yes; He makes an incredible product. You will love the performance. I would say barbershop is my favorite as well.

barbershop. marco's method to lather with a good boar and its no problem with my water.
best post shave feel i have found

Lime and Peppermint Rosemary are my favorites, then Coconut. Vintage Blades LLC will probably ship a lot faster than direct from Mike's. Shipping time can be problematic, but the soaps are worth it. They are quite thirsty, btw - much more so than Stirling. Not bad, just be aware.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Barbershop was my LEAST favorite Mike's scent. The best Barbershop scent for me, so far, is Seville by Barrister & Mann. Mike's Barbershop scent's fragrance oils really poke through and smell synthetic to me. I really like his Lemongrass & Eucalyptus.

Top Bottom