What's new

Thinking of Trying Cyril Salter

The thread title pretty much says it.

I would love to read the comments from folks who have tried this product.

I have the French Vetiver cream and have nothing bad to say about it. It is excellent quality on par with the TOBS and Trumper's creams I've tried.

I have the Sandalwood and I think it's a top shelf cream. Love the scent and it pairs well with Proraso Sandalwood.

I enjoyed my Salter from a couple of years ago, but over time the oils seemed to separate from the solids. The creams I’m currently enjoying are Stone Cottage and Lisa’s (although Castle Forbes, XPEC and Santa Maria Novella are tough to beat, although much more expensive).

I currently have Sublime Citrus in rotation and its a wonderful cream, particularly for the warmer months. I purchased mine over 18 months ago and when I first opened it, I also noticed that the oils were a little separated from the solids, but a quick stir had solved that issue and it hasn't separated since (IMO, this is one of the advantages of a cream that comes in a tub/bowl, rather than a tube).

It's definitely a top-notch cream and up there with TOBS (IMO, Cyril provides slightly better performance, but there's not much in it - YMMV). I find it doesn't require as much water (but once again - YMMV, depending on how much slickness you prefer at the cost of cushion). Great value as well considering they come in large 200ml tubs. Is it worth buying ? Absolutely.

i have Salter's rose, which is excellent.
i presume their creams made by creightons, same source for most of the brit's.

cyril salter rose shavemac gillette slim roberts czech speake 88 december 19 2014.jpg

My experience is that is typical of brit cremes (castle forbes and a very few others excepted) in being thin, airy, noncushioning and ok glide. Post shave of course is among worst. Typical of Brit cremes, scent is over the top which appeals to Yank tastes.

Far far far bigger fan of Italian cremes which from low end Proraso to high end Xpec just destroy their Brit counterparts (Castle Forbes excepted).

great product, great value, love the sandalwood!
It would be interesting to see how that scent compares with other makers. The "Mint" is intriguing as well as the Rose. So many choices and I can only shave once per day!!

It would be interesting to see how that scent compares with other makers. The "Mint" is intriguing as well as the Rose. So many choices and I can only shave once per day!!
West Coast Shaving carries a Sandalwood cream sample pack that might satisfy your curiosity.

I have the French vetiver and the wild Rose. They are both top-notch creams.
Happy to put some samples in the mail, if you'd like, just pm me an address.
Hey Larry, Received your sampled in yesterday's mail. Thank you so much! Think I will be using the Rose tomorrow!!

Many many thanks to fellow B&B member Lmarkow for sending me a couple of samples of Salter.

This morning I tried the Rose. I found it to be a typical British cream. For me that is a huge positive. I found it to be creamy with good cushion and glide. As mentioned before in this thread, it is very very similar to TOBS. I found the "Rose" scent to be subtle but in a good way. It was not perfumey or over the top.

A VERY pleasurable experience!! Wednesday will be some French Vetiver.

Thanks again Larry!

I tried the French Vetiver today. Same performance as the Rose. I found the scent to be so subtle as to almost be non-existent. Maybe the old sniffer is giving out, but I detected very little aroma. Still it was a first rate performance.

I detected very little aroma.
Same. I was very surprised and a bit disappointed, frankly. I had heard this was a beast of a vetiver, which is what I really like (I loved QCS, for example). The vetiver is nice, but it is subtle. Performance is great, I agree.

That's interesting. Even at the bottom of the tub the scent is still very present in mine. Batch variation perhaps?

Top Bottom