What's new

Thinking of trying chew - Suggestions?

I'll be headed down to Central Alabama, driving through Kentucky and Tennessee, in a couple of weeks. I'd like to pick up some chew since I'll be in an area where it's readily available, but I'm not sure what to buy. Cotton Boll comes to mind, but what else is worth trying?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Red Man is a good chew. Levi Garrett is another. Be ready to spit in public, you won't want to swallow.

Red Man is a good chew. Levi Garrett is another. Be ready to spit in public, you won't want to swallow.

Both of those are pretty classic chew. The Redman is sweet with a sort of raisin and molasses type flavor with the tobacco. I can't recall much about the Levi Garrett...

Don't try to pack a large wad, go small and easy (at least at first). Do not try to chew it like gum, it's more of put the wad between the cheek and gums on the side more to the back, and give it a gentle sort of squeeze between the teeth once in a while, and be ready to spit, a lot most likely. Definitely do not swallow, even very small amounts can upset the stomach, especially if you aren't used to chew.

Redman was the only one I ever liked, but I have a word of advice to pass on about chewing tobacco:

DON'T!

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I enjoyed Levi Garrett many years ago. Pretty straightforward flavor.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Best suggestion I can give you is don't do it. Don't start!
i dipped Copenhagen snuff for 38 years. To me it is much better than chewing tobacco.
i chewed beech nut wintergreen with big red chewing gum in it off and on for years. It tasted wonderful.
learn to swallow.

Get ya a mammoth cave twist. It is the real deal! Good natural sweet and spice.

I chewed Levi Plug, Beechnut, and Redman for a while and they are all very similar. All of these make for a bunch of spit until you get used to it. The twist is a little less?

Then there's Applejack!

I used to take dry twist and put it in a coffe can with slices of pear and or other juice fruits.

I already use snus on a daily basis, so it's not like I'm completely new to oral tobacco or don't already use it. I'd only end up using it when outside blowing snow or mowing the lawn in the summer, so I'm not worried about the spitting aspect, though I'll have to remember to do it since I'm used to not having to with snus.

I chewed Levi Plug, Beechnut, and Redman for a while and they are all very similar. All of these make for a bunch of spit until you get used to it. The twist is a little less?

Then there's Applejack!

I used to take dry twist and put it in a coffe can with slices of pear and or other juice fruits.

Are all of these commonly available at gas stations in the South? This far north, I'm lucky to find Levi Garrett or Red Man at a gas station.

There is a smoke shop called Cox's Smokers Outlet (not affiliated) off 65 and 265 on the south side of Louisville. They have a great selection, but between E-town and Bowlin Green, Ky on 65 is some good stops too.

Then there's Applejack!

I used to chew all of these over 30yrs ago but never tried mammoth cave twist. I may have to see if that is available around here to give it a try.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Both of those are pretty classic chew. The Redman is sweet with a sort of raisin and molasses type flavor with the tobacco. I can't recall much about the Levi Garrett...

Don't try to pack a large wad, go small and easy (at least at first). Do not try to chew it like gum, it's more of put the wad between the cheek and gums on the side more to the back, and give it a gentle sort of squeeze between the teeth once in a while, and be ready to spit, a lot most likely. Definitely do not swallow, even very small amounts can upset the stomach, especially if you aren't used to chew.
I always like the sweetness of Redman. Of course the only time I ever indulge is when hunting quail or pheasant. Smoking cigarettes in dried out corn fields is not always appreciated by the land owners.

My advice to you is not to start chewing. It is very,very tough to quit. When I started chewing Redman it was .49 a pouch. Yesterday I bought a pouch for $8.69. I have quit several times and it was miserable. I decided it wasn't worth it and I would die from something anyway so I keep chewing...and going broke and having teeth and gum problems etc... But if you don't take my advice (and it is YOUR choice) I would try Redman.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Warren County Twist, and Mammoth Cave Twist are the two I would recommend if your looking for something a bit different, and harder to find elsewhere. When you pick up a package, they should be firm, but pliable. Pass on any that are hard, dry, or crack when you bend them. I like the small twist better than the large twist.

If you want something a little moister, Redman Golden Blend is pretty good.

And get your spittoon ready. This ain't snoose. :lol:

Warren County Twist, and Mammoth Cave Twist are the two I would recommend if your looking for something a bit different, and harder to find elsewhere. When you pick up a package, they should be firm, but pliable. Pass on any that are hard, dry, or crack when you bend them. I like the small twist better than the large twist.

If you want something a little moister, Redman Golden Blend is pretty good.

And get your spittoon ready. This ain't snoose. :lol:

Will I be able to walk into a gas station along I-65 in KY and get twist?

I like the idea of twist over something like Redman since it's not full of sugar, though as infrequently as I'd end up using it, that's probably not an issue.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
It can be hit and miss, but yes, it should be in most gas stations. Behind the counter, so you have to ask.

Top Bottom