What's new

Thinking of my next soap purchase

Lots of great suggestions in this thread. I suggest Cella! I finished a tub if it a few months ago and have held off ordering more because I'm trying to use up inventory. But...I just ordered a full brick of it yesterday. A kilo is a lot of soap but it will last you a long time if you store it properly. It's a fantastic shave soap.

Kevdogg, seriously you have to experience Tabac, Cella, and Mitchell's Wool Fat at some point. If they don't do it for you there will be a line up on BST to buy them from you.

+1 for HTGAM Synergy soap. That 8oz tin is going to last a long time.

However, I'm curious. You have several soaps set aside for "special occasions". How many "special occasions" do you actually have? I think you should take those reserved soaps and just use them up, then replace them or not as you see fit.

That is a good point. I use them on Sundays, but could use them more.

Kevdogg, seriously you have to experience Tabac, Cella, and Mitchell's Wool Fat at some point. If they don't do it for you there will be a line up on BST to buy them from you.

I love Mitchell's Wool Fat (use it on Sundays, rotated with XXX)'

Been hearing a lot of good things of both Cella and Tabac. Might try to obtain a Cella sample.

Are the other scents as strong as the Orange Menthol? If so then I think a stirling order is in my future.

I'd definitely recommend Stirling. Their scents are pretty darn good and strong! Nothing wrong with getting a few samples to see, they usually last me about two weeks or so. I like buying the samples because I can get variety AND I can finish a soap all the way through so I don't have a bunch of full containers sitting around.

I also think that a trip to Ginger's Gardens is in order. Irena makes some fantastic hard and soft soaps with a huge scent list, and if by some miracle, you don't find anything you like, she'll work with you to create a unique scent. She's also making aftershaves as well, which I haven't tried yet, but are being quite highly praised.

@kevdogg329 - I would say to stock up you should definitely get at least one of the following:

Barrister & Mann
Cold River Soapworks (they're all great, but the Select line is fantastic, and you get 6.5oz for $24)
Strop Shoppe (go for one of the SE or LE soaps with tallow)
Valobra (the hard puck - a little on the pricey side but will last a good while and is an AWESOME performer)
Tabac (another long lasting, fantastic performer - you can even save a few bucks and just get the REFIL puck)

A lot of these have already been mentioned, and for good reason. There is no shortage of AWESOME shave soaps out there, both artisan and "big name", but I recommended these because all of these soaps will leave your face feeling great in the coming colder months. Plus, each has at least one scent that is great for fall or winter (and most have spring and summer scents for when that time comes around as well). I hope this helps!

Lots of great suggestions here. My current favorites are (scent is really even more a personal preference, so I'll leave that out):

Mike's
Cold River (either Select or Classic - I'm still sampling both)
Haslinger Schafmilch (slightly different formulation than other Haslinger soaps - lanolin in this one)
La Toja stick
Maggards

I must say after trying RR XXX, P160, Cella, Talbec, my favorites are still Mikes and Stirling. Both of these contain clay which I find helps with smoothness when shaving and I get less irritation when using soaps with clay in them. They both also have a great after shave feel to them.

When I did my last order with Stirling, a couple of weeks had gone by and I hadn't received the order and I had forgotten about it. Bob (I think that's his name) emailed me and said he had a few orders with tracking numbers go missing and asked if I received mine. So I said I hadn't, and that same day he mailed another order out to me. Great customer service...:thumbup1:

La Toja stick
I also like Barrister and Mann. Been using the Clary Sage and it's really nice.
And I've been staring at my shopping cart at Maggard's most of the afternoon, and inside is their Limes and Bergamot. I should just pull the trigger already :laugh:

So many choices...

If you are going on a pure value::choices angle, you can't beat Stirling samples. There's something for all sorts of tastes and, if you end up not liking one, it's not a huge deal.

The other places I'd look, as others have mentioned, are: 1) B&M, especially if you like seasonal scents (if you are planning for winter, First Snow would be a really nice choice if it gets re-issued; if you are not seasonally-inclined, check out Seville); and 2) PPF (see directly above, but substitute "Ciderhouse 5" for "First Snow" and "Coconut" for "Seville").

Top Bottom