What's new

Thinking of going to the vape.

I've been thinking of giving vaping a shot but I'm not sure where to start. I've done the whole mass produced vape pens from the local smoke shops and I used the refillable type but have yet to go full force. I don't want to go and spend money on something that I'm unsure of. From what I've seen from local vape shops this isn't a cheap hobby to jump into. That is from what I think I see. Any suggestions as to where I should start here would be helpful. I've read the basics but still nervous about spending more than I should.

Well, a big question in my mind is what things did you like, and what things did you not like about the pen and refillable type you already tried? Those answers can help lead you in the right direction, I think.

Keep it simple and easy. I have gotten a few friends off tobacco with this set up.

Segelei 50 Watt V2 box mod or maybe a 75 watt box mod. These are adjustable for various watt, depending on the juice you will like.

http://www.gearbest.com/electronic-cigarettes/pp_170251.html

Kanger Subtank Mini . Uses replaceable coils, which have a wire and cotton inside them. I would go with .5ohm coils. Give the best flavor and vapor combo. These come in SS, Black and White. Comes with a 1.2ohm coil and a .5ohm coil.

http://www.gearbest.com/electronic-cigarettes/pp_143759.html

You will need extra .5ohm coils for the Kanger. The coils last about a week maybe two, depend on how hot you like to have your vape. Pretty good price for coils, usually about $4 each.

http://www.gearbest.com/accessories/pp_217637.html

Two 18650 batteries. I would go with Samsung 25Rs. Good lithium battery from good company.

http://www.gearbest.com/batteries/pp_192841.html

A battery charger. I would go with a Nitecore D2. Charges not only Lithium batteries but also the rechargable AA,AAA and C batteries. Not all chargers do.

http://www.gearbest.com/chargers-batteries/pp_70930.html

This not a recommendation for this company, just that they have all the product I am recommending. You may find the items for less or not. Shop around.

One of my friends like this combo so much, he ended up with Kanger Sub Tank Minis in all 3 colors. He wanted so he could have 3 different juices. One in each color.

For juices, go to different shops and try different one. Take a little notebook with you and write down what you like and especially what you don't like. Juice you like are the hardest thing for some. Was for me. I have tried over 500 juices and I only like 5.

Most shops won't have everything here. I would go with the Kangers, just because they work well and the coils are easier to find. Before you buy anything, try to look at some videos how how well something works. If you find something different you might want, always check the availability of the products, especially subohm tanks. There are a lot out there, and not all coils fit all tanks.

Hope this helps. Need to ask anything, just PM me.

Greg W.

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend going straight to a sub-ohm setup for a beginner vaper. It sounds more like this guy is looking for something simple, not having to mess about with batteries and all that would be preferable.
I also wouldn't recommend Gearbest as I constantly hear people having issues with them.

A regulated mod with battery inside is pretty hassle free, there's loads out at the moment. I went for a Smok M80 and then an Innokin Coolfire as a backup/extra. They both do the job but there seems to be new stuff out nearly everyday. I wasn't at all impressed with the cheap pens I tried and didn't fancy buying into a propriety coil system so went for a rebuildable tank, ended up with a Lemo Drop & Cthulhu, a reel of 28 gauge kanthal and some cotton. Favourite value for money so far has been the Derringer clone on fasttech for ~$7.

A regulated mod with battery inside is pretty hassle free, there's loads out at the moment. I went for a Smok M80 and then an Innokin Coolfire as a backup/extra. They both do the job but there seems to be new stuff out nearly everyday. I wasn't at all impressed with the cheap pens I tried and didn't fancy buying into a propriety coil system so went for a rebuildable tank, ended up with a Lemo Drop & Cthulhu, a reel of 28 gauge kanthal and some cotton. Favourite value for money so far has been the Derringer clone on fasttech for ~$7.
With mods like the cool fire and istick 40w I don't see the purpose of jumping straight into one with removable batteries, at least not for a beginner.

I would personally recommend a cool fire 4, or istick 40w with a mini nautilus.

Thanks this is something I'll have to research. Looks like I may be spending time in this part of the forum also. So far I'm liking what the Professor has recommended. Now to find the time to head over to the Vape shop. The network here isn't too friendly with sites.

I would personally recommend a cool fire 4, or istick 40w with a mini nautilus.
Till wouldn't steer you wrong.

The iStick 40TC is decent, I got one for ~$35. If they're not in stock the iStick 30 would work fine with regular coil heads on a Nautilus Mini. Make sure to get "BVC" heads (Bottom Vertical Coil) for the Nautilus. Aspire changed over to BVC awhile ago but there are still some of the older versions kicking around.

I also wouldn't recommend Gearbest as I constantly hear people having issues with them.

You're absolutely right about this. Gearbest's website is quite deceptive. There's no overt indication that it's a Chinese company and that order processing will take 5 business days and 'free' shipping can take around a month if you're lucky.

Instant regret. If I had used PayPal, I would have rescinded my order and bought elsewhere.

I recently bought a Subtank Mini kit and I can't recommend it highly enough. I went from a simple Justfog 1453 to a 0.5 ohm coil on the Kanger with a variety of 70-100% VG 6mg juices. Rebuilding the unit is very easy and if you don't want to get into the rebuildable side of things, you can get pre-built 0.5 ohm coils cheaply. I can't state enough the different in satisfaction between a typical off the shelf, untweakable vape and this thing. Huge clouds of vapour, lots of flavour and the ability to adjust the wattage if you're not getting quite enough of a hit. Not to mention it looks and feels like a high quality piece of kit :thumbup1: Comes with the mod, a 1.5 ohm coil, 0.5 ohm coil, rebuildable atomiser and 2 pre built coils (they clock in at 0.5-0.6 ohm) along with some Japanese cotton, spare screws, USB to micro USB cable for charging and a small screwdriver. All you need to add is a battery and juice. I've got an IMR 18650 3100 mAh battery which will last all day unless you're really hammering it. I've very limited experience with other vapes, but I see absolutely no reason to replace this with anything else.

Awh man I'm already looking into Anarchist competition wire to try a lower ohm coil.. Not too hot on resistance calculation in terms of battery pairing though so that can wait a little while I think, haha

Get a regulated mod with good 18650's and you will be fine :thumbup1:
Let me know if you have any questions. Also with the subtank RBA stick to simple builds

Get a regulated mod with good 18650's and you will be fine :thumbup1:
Let me know if you have any questions. Also with the subtank RBA stick to simple builds

The Kbox/Subox mini that I have is regulated :) 7-50w. I've seen dual coils done on 'em before which I'm intrigued by

I've no intention of going for a new mod tbh. This thing does everything I want for now :) I'm just curious as to how a .3ohm coil/dual coil etc would behave compared to the .5 I'm running now. I certainly don't want to go higher (tried them and I prefer direct lung draws)

I've no intention of going for a new mod tbh. This thing does everything I want for now :) I'm just curious as to how a .3ohm coil/dual coil etc would behave compared to the .5 I'm running now. I certainly don't want to go higher (tried them and I prefer direct lung draws)
For the RBA deck or the 0.3ohm stock coils?

Top Bottom