What's new

Thinking of going for a restoration! Or two.

Here's the brush post-bloom. ALSO, in the interim, I completed another restore - an Ever-ready 100T, drilled out a bit to hold a 24mm TGN Super, and set with Dave's (blzrfn) described method of hot-glue. These handles are hollow, so I added a few coins to the hot glue as I filled the cavity to give it some heft. Also after reading other restoration threads, I followed the advice and rounded the sharp edges a bit for better hand feel.
$Brush resto 7.jpg

I'm out of control! OK, so I got a few more old handles from the Bay... These are the next up on the list:
$Brush resto 8.jpg

Starting on the Pewter/Silver guy in the middle. This is the perfect "steam out the knot" candidate, and sure enough, I steamed it up and pulled the weird knot right out. Easy peasy. I figure it looks good with this knot:

$Brush resto 9.jpg$Brush resto 10.jpg

I like the patina the way it is, so aside from washing it down real well, I'm just leaving it. This is more of a re-knotting than a restoration, I guess. Will post pics when it's set.

Cool looking brush-- nice score! Good decision to preserve the patina; I don't think that handle would look nearly as classy all polished up.

Here are two more finished restores. The pewter one was set with epoxy, and the wooden Rubberset with hot glue. The Pewter handle is hollow, but it's still got more heft than my other brushes. The wooden Rubber-set was a challenge. I didn't like the tone of the wood, so I sanded it down and re-stained it. I can't say the wood took the stain all that well, but it came out OK in the end. The lettering is almost completely worn off, but I managed to coax some white paint into the remaining letters, but you can't really see it in my iPhone photo. Can't wait to break them in!!!

$Brush resto 11.jpg

I'm really enjoying my Virginia Sheng Finest. I found mine to work strangely at first, though I believe that was due to whatever chemical(s) these knots are treated with. After about 5-10 uses, I really love mine.

Hey brother c, Unfortunately, even with painting it with enamel, and tinting the epoxy, I've experienced a few areas where it has pulled away from the side and there is a visible air bubble between the lucite and the nearest paint. I think if I were doing it again, I'd let the paint dry for like a week before setting the knot. I only did 24 hours this time. Beyond that I'm not sure what else to do. Maybe leave a more matte finish on the lucite inside so the paint can better adhere?

Hey brother c, Unfortunately, even with painting it with enamel, and tinting the epoxy, I've experienced a few areas where it has pulled away from the side and there is a visible air bubble between the lucite and the nearest paint. I think if I were doing it again, I'd let the paint dry for like a week before setting the knot. I only did 24 hours this time. Beyond that I'm not sure what else to do. Maybe leave a more matte finish on the lucite inside so the paint can better adhere?
i dont think i would use paint i would want it stuck to the handle with no thing between them

Here are two new restores. I bought the brass one on the bay without knowing how big it was, and was delighted to find that it takes a 26mm knot just about perfectly (that one you see isn't set yet, just test-fitted.)

$Brush resto 13.jpg

Hey! I'm back after taking a break from brushes. This one is my first boar knot. Rubberset 153 handle with butterscotch lower and unusual gray upper. The handle was an "extra" in a lot of grungy stuff I got on the 'bay. Knot is a Virginia Sheng boar - super cheap on ebay. Haven't used it yet but it seems nice.

$Brush resto 14.jpg

Hello Gents, I have a few brushes in progress. Mostly, at the cleaning the old knot/glue out of the brush handles stage.

Questions:
How do you decide the loft of the new knot?
Measure the old one & install the new at the same loft?

I see many restorers here install to a loft of 55 to 59mm, while most new knots are much taller.
Do you simply lower the brush shelf to accommodate? will affect the brush performance?

I find several China knot suppliers on the bay. Any comment regarding buying from them
Suggestions?
Tks for your time
ed

Hi ed,
The first couple brushes I attempted, I didn't set the knot deep enough, as I just used the previous knot floor. I'm finding I need to set knots deeper - around 15mm in. I like to go for a 50mm or less loft for the most part, depending on the knot, as I like a less floppy brush. So yes, I set the knot on a lowered shelf.

I've had great luck with the Chinese ebay knot suppliers. I've bought from ace shaving and Virginia Sheng and been very satisfied.

Top Bottom