What's new

Thinking Of Getting A Chubby 3

I recently purchased a Chubby 2 in best and found it a tiny bit smaller then I expected. I'll be using it for the first time either tonight or tomorrow morning. I'm already thinking of getting a Chubby 3. What are the pros and cons of the CH3? Is it THAT much bigger then the CH2? Are there any key differences between the CH2 and CH3 other then size?

Last edited:
S

Scrubby

I would advise to wait 2-3 months until the knot has fully bloomed before you decide whether it is too small or not. The final size will depend on the hair type. My Ch2 “manchurian” knot ended up smaller than Ch 2 “best”.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Oh, brushes... evidently my inner 10-year-old was in charge of reading today...
In that case you really must take the little lad right over to the Beagle thread immediately!

I recently purchased a Chubby 2 in best and found it a tiny bit smaller then I expected. I'll be using it for the first time either tonight or tomorrow morning. I'm already thinking of getting a Chubby 3. What are the pros and cons of the CH3? Is it THAT much bigger then the CH2? Are there any key differences between the CH2 and CH3 other then size?

Pro:
- more volume

Con:
- more volume

Key difference other than size:
- takes longer to clean

Mainly and on a serious note I recommend that you reread your pretty similar thread, which IMHO has already answered your questions:
Simpson Chubby 2 Super vs Simpson Chubby 3 in Best

And I strongly support @Scrubby 's tip above! The Chubby 2 is your densest and biggest Simpson brush yet, using and learning it will tell you so much more.
It seems to me from other threads that you are eager to build a collection of Simpson brushes or extending your existing one. A month ago you had 3, now it's 6 and I know Simpson brushes are as addictive as buying nice things can be fun. But if you want build a stock that you will actually use, choose your picks wisely. Now that you have a Chubby 2 you can buy or forget about the Chubby 3 based on your own experience, but you would have to use your Chubby 2 in the first place.

Last edited:
81C9033A-A558-4D28-B708-474900F4258B.jpeg

side by side size comparison of the 3 chubby for you to compare

I'm already thinking of getting a Chubby 3

As the wise man once said, Purchasing should only be part of the fun. Seems like a clear BAD case to me. I feel you’ve already made up your mind, but feel some regret already, so you are seeking validation from like-minded addicted Simpsonites

Is it THAT much bigger then the CH2?
Yes it is. The CH3 is massive. Plenty of recent threads (including yours) showing pics of Chubbies side by side

The ch3. Is big, but ì found it to be very manageable. It took a month before it became the wonderful brush intended.
However, it started to shed hairs for me after a year. So bad I had to stop using it.
I now have a SV badger. Very similar to the ch3. But, it has not shed a single hair. Just a thought to consider another brand.

The ch3. Is big, but ì found it to be very manageable. It took a month before it became the wonderful brush intended.
However, it started to shed hairs for me after a year. So bad I had to stop using it.
I now have a SV badger. Very similar to the ch3. But, it has not shed a single hair. Just a thought to consider another brand.

I struggle to see how one can blame a manufacturer for a brush that starts shedding after 1 year of use

The reason its shedding after a year is because it has not I repeat NOT been cleaned properly, they say just rinse under running water that alone does not get rid of the soap scum that the soap leaves behind. That's why you have to wash your sink out to remove the ring of scum, buy a make-up brush cleaner and that will remove the fatty deposits in the knot. That's burning the hairs well rotting the hairs as it is an acid after all.

I do mine and I have never had any problems with any brush that I use..... Give it a try and after a couple of washes, it will be back in action again.

Give it time to settle in use it and enjoy it and you will be amazed with it

By the way, I’ve seen your CH2 again and sir, you’ve won the Best Badger lottery. That knot looks stunning, super white tips! Enjoy it

As the wise man once said, Purchasing should only be part of the fun. Seems like a clear BAD case to me. I feel you’ve already made up your mind, but feel some regret already, so you are seeking validation from like-minded addicted Simpsonites

Yes it is. The CH3 is massive. Plenty of recent threads (including yours) showing pics of Chubbies side by side

You are correct, I've got full-on SBAD.

Thank you for the recommendation, but I'm sticking with Simpson for my shaving brushes. I just prefer them over any other brand or make, though a Rooney has crossed my mind a few times.

The Chubby 3 is massive. The advice to wait until your Chubby 2 blooms is good advice. The best and super knots will eventually double in size.

Now, if you are just trying to rid yourself of soap, go to town.

As mentioned above (but worth mentioning again I think), the hair grade also affects the size of the knot post bloom. Super hair is softer and In my experience results in a bigger brush after use. A chubby 2 super will be bigger than a chubby 2 in best. So if you want the biggest of the big just get a chubby 3 in super.

or maybe a polo 16 in super.

You are correct, I've got full-on SBAD.

Thank you for the recommendation, but I'm sticking with Simpson for my shaving brushes. I just prefer them over any other brand or make, though a Rooney has crossed my mind a few times.

Simpsons is a good choice and well made.
TBF I would go with Rudy Vey custom with a shavmac D01 knot or a 2 band badger, as a second choice...

Can I just say that when you use these large luxurious brushes, you will always want to face lather with them.! Wonderful face feel makes them worth the money.

Well said I only face lather nowadays, but do use a scuttle in winter when its very cold just to keep my lather warm.

Top Bottom