What's new

Thinking of changing from Merkur 34C to 15C

Hi everyone.

I've been shaving with a Merkur 34C for about 4 weeks. This is my first ever DE razor, after using cartridge razors for roughly 20 years.

It's a very nice, forgiving razor, but it takes me 3 passes to get a nice clean shave. I am looking for something a little more aggressive - not too much. I don't have a thick beard, but my stubble is quite hard and wiry.

I have read about the 15C, which is of course open comb. Most of the discussion centers around the fact that it is a very mild razor.

What I am wanting to ask is whether I will notice a difference between the two, or are they both much of a muchness, given that the 15C is described as mild ? If it feels and shaves like the 34C, it may not be worth changing.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forums. I'm not sure if you've been wet shaving for four weeks or been a long time wet shaver and been using the Merkur 34c for only four weeks. If you are brand new to wet shaving, then I suspect that it is not the razor, but your technique. Yes, the Merkur is a forgiving razor, but you should be able to get good results from it. You need to get to know your razor better. Play with the angles and study the way your beard lies. Don't use any pressure, and focus on what you're doing so you know what the razor does when you do it. Give it time. Don't fall down the path that I see many do where they don't get the results they want so they start changing blades, soap, razor, etc. Practice and pay attention.

Hello gvw.

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the reply.

I have been wet shaving for over 20 years using a cartridge razor only. In the last month I have switched over to wet shaving with a safety razor (Merkur 34C). I had never used a safety razor prior to this.

No doubt my technique is still a work in progress. I guess I'm wondering if the 15C will achieve in 2 passes what the 34C achieves in 3, and whether this is technique independent ?

Thank you

15C is milder than 34C. It actually got negative blade exposure, meaning a true zero pressure would not allow the blade to touch the skin. However in real shaving, most do not have completely zero pressure and the skin flexes.

15C might be a bit of a challenge, as it is easy to gradually begin to add pressure, without noticing it. Excess pressure always leads to irritation and so it will with this one too. I notice this myself if I have been shaving longer periods with this razor. In the end of the period the pressure has been growing quite a bit, if I have not been careful to maintain close to zero pressure. Too forgiving razors, like this one, lets this kind of sloppiness creep in with so small steps that you do not notice it.

Because of the negative blade exposure, 15C will shave less close than many other razors (unless you add the forbidden pressure to force down the blade). If your goal is a BBS each shave, this is not the razor you want.

15C is the razor you might like to have if you want to give your face a rest but still having a need to look clean. 15C is also a razor that works really well if you have been weeks without shaving. It will easily mow down any growth without clogging.

Thanks engblom. Those are most interesting thoughts.

My local shave shop sells a Fatip open comb razor, and the Muhle R89 and Muhle R41. I might have to check those out.

Thank you.

Another suggestion might be to try Kai blades. They are a hair wider than usual, leading to a touch more blade exposure. They can have a small but significant effect on how a razor performs. Love them in vintage Gillettes.

Hello and welcome, Pappa. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself more fully.

Another suggestion might be to try Kai blades. They are a hair wider than usual, leading to a touch more blade exposure. They can have a small but significant effect on how a razor performs. Love them in vintage Gillettes.

Sadly this is a myth. I also believed this until I was proven wrong. They are the same thick as all other blades. They seem to be stiffer, which is why many believe they are thicker. The stiffness might be because of different hardening process.

But besides the myth, KAI is a top quality blade well worth to try.

Sadly this is a myth. I also believed this until I was proven wrong. They are the same thick as all other blades. They seem to be stiffer, which is why many believe they are thicker. The stiffness might be because of different hardening process.

But besides the myth, KAI is a top quality blade well worth to try.

Additional thickness is a myth, but additional width is not.

The small additional width (blade cutting edge to blade cutting edge) results in greater blade edge exposure.

I can never remember the exact measurement, so I always say a hair. It's actually something like .2mm. This has been measured and confirmed by multiple sources.

Sorry I misread your post earlier. Yeah, they are different from other blades and I do not protest against the extra width.

What I am wanting to ask is whether I will notice a difference between the two, or are they both much of a muchness, given that the 15C is described as mild ? If it feels and shaves like the 34C, it may not be worth changing.
The 15C is mild and may not be any better than the 34C. However the 34C is capable of BBS given the correct technique and good preparation.
I guess I'm wondering if the 15C will achieve in 2 passes what the 34C achieves in 3, and whether this is technique independent ?
Using the DE requires progressive hair reduction. 3 passes are usually necessary for most to achieve BBS or near that standard.
My local shave shop sells a Fatip open comb razor, and the Muhle R89 and Muhle R41. I might have to check those out.
The Fatip and Muhle R41 are certainly much more aggressive but will your shaves be as comfortable as the 34C with correct technique? I think you should persevere with the 34C a while longer.

Like others have said, it is normal to need 3 passes for a BBS or near BBS shave. A 2 pass shave is for when you are in a hurry, want to look good, but are willing to accept a somewhat less close shave. With practice, and with 3 passes, a mild to medium razor like your 34c or a EJ DE89 should be fine. If you want to get a little more performance out of it now, maybe try a sharper blade. What blade do you use now? I'm a big fan of Nacet, Polsiliver SI, and Gillette 7 o'clock yellow. For a really sharp blade, try a Feather.

Now, making a change in order to experience different razors is perfectly acceptable, and after about a month I'd say it isn't a bad time to try a mild open comb. An open comb is a different experience, it is definitely a different feel. Some are more efficient than safety bar razors of the same aggression. Something like the Merkur open combs or a RazoRock OLD Type OC is pretty mild and quite suitable for someone who is still new to DE shaving. My RR OLD Type was definitely a gateway into the OC world. Now, open combs are definitely my favorite, and I reach for an open comb about 2Xs more often than a safety bar razor. If you are a little more adventurous and want to ramp up the aggression, while remaining with a smooth and comfortable razor, I would suggest the Schone (available several places online, but Amazon may be easiest) with the Fatip Piccolo as my 2nd choice (I own and love both, they are the same in efficiency but the Schone is smoother). I'd wait a bit on the Muhle r41, it is very aggressive (I like mine, but it is not an everyday razor). As for the safety bar Muhle r89 you are considering, the head is the same as the Edwin Jagger DE89, which really isn't any more aggressive or efficient than your 34c. I like my Edwin Jaggers better than my Merkur 38c (same head as the 34c, longer handle), there is a slightly different feel, but the shave quality is very similar.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard! As suggested by OP, since you are new to traditional shaving it is likely that your technique is evolving at a rapid rate. You might stick with your current set-up until your technique is really solid before trying new razors, etc. This will likely save time and effort in the long run! Just my $0.02.

I hated the shaves with the merkur 34c. I always had irritation and ingrown hairs with this razor. The 34c does not hold the blade rigid enough causing the blade to flex and pull at my hairs when shaving ATG. I highly recommend the merkur 15c because it holds the blade rigid enough to shave ATG without causing any irritation and ingrown. If you are looking for a step up in aggression and holds the blade rigid, look into getting a merkur 37c. Another phenomenal razor!

There you have a 34c that is slightly more aggressive.

Did the same thing myself so I speak from experience.
Getting another razor until the technique is good is an expensive solution. Putting a shim under the blade in the 34C would make it more aggressive. The shim would also stiffen the blade and thus reduce any chatter. If it does not improve the shave just discard the shim.

Top Bottom