What's new

Thinking hard about a Henson AL13

My favorite blades may not be someone else's favorite. However, at this point in time, I like best 1] Feather 2] Super Nacet 3] Shark 4] Astra green in that order. This I arrived at after trying a dozen or more brands of blades.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I didn't like the feel of an all aluminum razor, but I've only tried one, i.e., the RR Lupo DE Aluminum. I could look but is the Henson a bit heavier?

If I was going to go down that route, I suspect the Yates "Winning razor" would be a better choice for me.

I'm thinking hard about pulling the trigger on a Henson AL13. My current favorite razor is a pre-war Gillette Tech. It's a great razor, but something about that Henson is calling me. I would guess that 80% of the opinions that I have read have been positive and the other 20% have not been negative, but have been that it's nothing more special than a more traditional safety razor.

Pros:
  • Supposedly very easy to use and super smooth (and mild and smooth is more my jam as opposed to aggressive)
  • Should last forever
  • Cool new tech
  • 100 day trial period with a full refund guarantee
Cons
  • Cool new tech (I know that I listed this twice, but there's something nostalgic about using a pre-war Tech that you don't have with modern tech)
  • $70 vs. the $12 that I spent on my Gillette Tech
  • It "feels" a little like going back to a cartridge and there's an element of pride in using an old school safety razor.
If you want to chime in. I won't ask for your opinion because I've read so many opinions already on here that there's not much to add, and I know that I am just rehashing an old topic. But it helps me to process out loud. :)

mikhou
I love my Henson AL13 Mild. I bought it before they made upgrades to it like improving the lather channels, increasing the diameter of the handle, and rounding off all 4 corners of the razor. I love my Henson razor but will likely buy the Karve Overlander since I like mild razors and want to try a razor with more weight and a shorter handle. The Henson is a great razor for sleep walking through your shave. It has excellent blade clamping and you can use a feather blade in it without fearing the worst.

I'm thinking hard about pulling the trigger on a Henson AL13. My current favorite razor is a pre-war Gillette Tech. It's a great razor, but something about that Henson is calling me. I would guess that 80% of the opinions that I have read have been positive and the other 20% have not been negative, but have been that it's nothing more special than a more traditional safety razor.

Pros:
  • Supposedly very easy to use and super smooth (and mild and smooth is more my jam as opposed to aggressive)
  • Should last forever
  • Cool new tech
  • 100 day trial period with a full refund guarantee
Cons
  • Cool new tech (I know that I listed this twice, but there's something nostalgic about using a pre-war Tech that you don't have with modern tech)
  • $70 vs. the $12 that I spent on my Gillette Tech
  • It "feels" a little like going back to a cartridge and there's an element of pride in using an old school safety razor.
If you want to chime in. I won't ask for your opinion because I've read so many opinions already on here that there's not much to add, and I know that I am just rehashing an old topic. But it helps me to process out loud. :)

mikhou
Remember the lifetime warranty on the Henson applies only to purchases made DIRECTLY from the company, not through a retailer. Double check before you purchase.

I love my Henson AL13 Mild. I bought it before they made upgrades to it like improving the lather channels, increasing the diameter of the handle, and rounding off all 4 corners of the razor. I love my Henson razor but will likely buy the Karve Overlander since I like mild razors and want to try a razor with more weight and a shorter handle. The Henson is a great razor for sleep walking through your shave. It has excellent blade clamping and you can use a feather blade in it without fearing the worst.
Yeah, I've been on the Henson train for a couple of months now. Very happy with it.

First shave with the RK blades in my Al-13 Medium razor. Close to BBS with no irritation. Blades are OK IMO at least for starters. Seem like middle of the road blades but can't be sure yet. The seem to work pretty well with this razor.
Looking back I realized that I never posted in here my thoughts on the RK blades. They're...just kinda OK. They're certainly not in my top tier of blades, but they're serviceable.

Yeah, I've been on the Henson train for a couple of months now. Very happy with it.
I'm wondering, having the Medium AL-13, what if I put a shim in it? Would it transform my razor into a +++ equivalent razor? I'm not afraid to try at least once. Maybe after I get a little shaving history under my belt with this Henson, Aircraft Aluminum model. I'm actually very happy with my first shave with the supplied blades. Turned out it was very close to BBS, maybe a BBS-.

It would make it more aggressive than the medium, but not equivalent to a +++. My wild @$$ guess is that it would have higher gap, but less exposure. Try it and let us know.

Hello, I have the AS-D2. how would you compare the two razors? Thanks
Hi.
I just noticed this message now! I apologize for taking two years to reply! I wanted the AS-D2 for the longest time. I really wanted it to be my daily but for me the Henson gave me consistently excellent shaves. the only thing about the AS-D2 that I really prefer is the handle. Anyway in the summer of 2022 I sold the Feather. I've been using Henson razors ever since.

Henson Usage (number of shaves) through 03/29/2024
Total shave with Henson Razors: 857
Detailed breakdown by aggression:

Henson Mild = 419
Henson Medium = 166
Henson Aggressive= 272

Paul aka the self proclaimed Henson King

Curiosity and a BF deal got the better of me and I picked up a Henson Mild. While I would not call it transformational and I don't think it shaves like a cartridge razor, the AL13+ has moved into position as one of my all time favorite razors (along with the Feather ASD2 and the Merkur 34HD). Two pass BBS with no irritation and a very rare weeper is the order of the day.

To me the most interesting thing is that what were two of the biggest turn offs to me pre-purchase, the light weight and the handle design, are now actually two of my favorite features. The shape of the handle, the light weight, and the knurling combine to make a deftly maneuverable tool.

I'm experimenting with different blades and so far all work well, with minimal differences. Feather and Kai are great but so are Astra and Red Personna. I was initially a little disappointed that "the one" didn't jump out at me (yet), but the flip side is that maybe the Henson will plow through my pile of rejects that have accumulated.

Two thumbs up!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Henson makes great razors, period. They are not training wheels for when you get a "real" DE. They are IMO an improvement in DE design. Much like an SE the design helps you find the sweet spot.

I have a ++ I picked up in a trade and a Squatch collab in forest green in the +. I agree RK blades are not the best. I bought 100 and gave 90 to my BIL. He's not picky.

My + is the new "rounded" design and the ++ is the square body (minus the rust - sorry Chevy fans). I prefer the rounded.

Top Bottom