What's new

thinking about throwing away my shaving creams

hey guys

I use to only use Shaving creams until I tried Mikes shaving soap and every time I go back to using creams I get an average shave, when I use soap I get the closest shave and my face feels amazing!!!

I have sensitive skin and the soap is just perfect! I feel like the creams doesn't get close enough for me now.

I love soap now! I have sensitive skin any other soaps you guys recommend that is great for sensitive skin?

thanks all

I love soap now! I have sensitive skin any other soaps you guys recommend that is great for sensitive skin?

I just made the transition from creams to soaps as well. I also have sensitive skin. For me, I avoid anything scented. Perhaps you're luckier than me and can use scented soap. If so, I'm jealous!

If you like Mike's, I'd suggest getting some of Mystic Water's Sensitive Skin shaving soap. It doesn't have lanolin, like Mike's, but it's still a really excellent soap that is very kind to my skin.

You also have a few hours left to get in on the B&B group buy of the QCS unscented. That's an outstanding soap that is usually only available as a custom order, but Matthew from QCS gave us a great discount for the group buy. Highly recommended, but the deal closes today. Check out the sticky at the top of the soap forum and PM Matthew if you decide you want some.

Nick

Edwin Jagger Sea Buckthorn is nice. I consider myself pretty sensitive and it behaves nicely, also it smells divine!

Light to medium scented. Its fresh, very fresh, almost like a ripe fruit, has a touch of sweetness without being cloying. Some people compare it to Juicy Fruit gum, I can see the comparison but it's a natural scent, not artificial smelling at all.

I'm mostly a soap guy too. Don't throw away your creams though, PIF them or sell them on the BST, someone will want them I'm sure.

I too seem to get the best shaves from soaps. I can tell 8 to 12 hours later by my beard growth. With creams, my stubble is very prominent at 5PM. With soaps, it may be until 8 O'clock before my stubble makes it's presence known. I have to admit though, I do like a variety and have a bunch of creams. But it would have to be a great performing cream before I consider re-purchasing.

I'm down to four creams, just giving two away and I won't keep any of these in rotation once they're finished. I do love soaps and how they react with a boar brush. Like Mike's as well. Also try Razorock and Cella for great shaves for sensitive skin.

Three words for ya:

Tcheon. Fung. Sing.

Although, you might want to avoid Freschezza Polare for it's menthol; not that it has very much, but it's noticeable.

You also have a few hours left to get in on the B&B group buy of the QCS unscented. That's an outstanding soap that is usually only available as a custom order, but Matthew from QCS gave us a great discount for the group buy. Highly recommended, but the deal closes today. Check out the sticky at the top of the soap forum and PM Matthew if you decide you want some.

Nick

Second on the QCS soaps. Their key lime is quite brilliant, and overall soap quality is very good. It's in my regular rotation along with Speick.

Second on the QCS soaps. Their key lime is quite brilliant, and overall soap quality is very good. It's in my regular rotation along with Speick.

I had the key lime too, but it uses real lime essential oil and it was too much for my skin. It smelled great but it burned, so I had to sell it on B/S/T.

QCS is possibly the easiest-to-lather soap that I've got. I love Mike's and Mystic Waters, but QCS seems to lather more quickly for me. The shave quality is outstanding, too.

After discovering artisan shaving soaps, I ended up selling off all my creams except for Spencer & Devon unscented, which is just amazing for those of us with sensitive skin. Still, in terms of value for the dollar, it's hard to beat a good artisan shaving soap.

Nick

Razorock for sensitive skin? I thought all their soaps were highly scented. Which one do you use?

Nick
Razorock artisan Napoleon's Violet. While scented, I don't get the red mysterious blotching or have to deal with any razor burn. It's my slickest soap along with Cella. Mike's is close behind but I like the scents of Mike's better.

I'm mostly a soap guy too. Don't throw away your creams though, PIF them or sell them on the BST, someone will want them I'm sure.
I tend to shave with soaps much more often during the winter, and creams in the summertime. I would not throw your creams away!

~~~~here's another thought...if you keep them, you can come back to them down the road and you very well may be glad you did

I've often thought I'm the most zealous soap face latherer here, bar none, and I've had creams get long in the tooth because of it yet there are a few creams I've picked up and kept that I've come back to and I'm so glad I did. if nothing else, you'll get to change it up which is refreshing in and of itself + I have a scuttle I can't seem to bring myself to list and what a treat doing an occasional cream lather built in the scuttle with warm water heating the cream/& shave brush

FWIW, right now on deck amongst other creams, I have a tube of Old Spice (shultons) i got back in 2011 from the vendor in Turkey. it hadn't seen the light of day in ages then a peep here sent me a small glass bottle of Old Spice A/S. The two are a great pairing. FWIW2, my Father-In-Law (long gone), Old Spice was his A/S & he wore it to a fault. Saying it was his signature scent would be an understatement and one of the reasons I never bothered to use it, not wanting Mrs. Jake to have bad feelings being reminded of dear old Dad...but I ahve to say I'm so glad Jon sent me that A/S. It burnt him (so he said) and it does have a bit of a clove burn going on but it's fleeting for me

Okay, I'm rambling here but, this talk (sort of) of bay rum scents reminds me of when I get into a bay rum kick and I shave using Ogallala bay rum/sandalwood soap* and finish the shave off with Pinaud's bay rum A/S. I love that combo but can only do it for maybe 5 days back to back then the Pinaud bay rum actually burns me to the point I have to stop. Sorry, but I digress

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

*ogallala bay rum/sandalwood shave soap is like heroin to me. I can use other A/S's and not get burnt following this great soap and use it endlessly. I prefer to lather it using my chubby 3 in best yet any old boar works well too...but for pure pleasure, for me, this soap does things for me no other soap can. If I'm lazy lathering it and not paying attention, uit can be a bit drying by nail the lather and the cream is luxurious. Way slick!, yet I can still grip my skin to stretch. If you can't build a creamy lather w/this one you're not working it right

hey guys

I use to only use Shaving creams until I tried Mikes shaving soap and every time I go back to using creams I get an average shave, when I use soap I get the closest shave and my face feels amazing!!!

I have sensitive skin and the soap is just perfect! I feel like the creams doesn't get close enough for me now.

thanks all

Godrej Shaving soap.
Recommended by dermatologists for those with skin problems.
Mild, virtually non existent old timey barbershop scent.
Probably the cheapest soap I know of: - 30 cents a puck.
But the postage may be many times that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom