What's new

Thinking about taking the plunge

Thinking about ordering a Whipped Dog 'sight unseen', a strop, and a 1/4 set of Norton stones for honing (all items from the Whipped Dog site).

Good starter kit? Anything lacking? Anything that should be substituted out?

I'm patient, and I have DE's to use if I mess something up and have to try and fix it or send it off.

Thanks in advance!

Unless you're certain that you want to learn honing now, you might consider holding off on the hones and getting a second razor instead, for when the first needs to be sent out to be re-honed. Opinions vary as to whether it's a good idea to learn to hone at the same time a learning to shave. But then, opinions vary about just about everything around here . . . .

In any case, good luck!

Unless you're certain that you want to learn honing now, you might consider holding off on the hones and getting a second razor instead, for when the first needs to be sent out to be re-honed. Opinions vary as to whether it's a good idea to learn to hone at the same time a learning to shave. But then, opinions vary about just about everything around here . . . .

In any case, good luck!

I never thought about that. Maybe I'll get 2 'sight unseen' so I would have the option. I would like to eventually learn to hone, but it can wait until I can develop some decent shaving technique.

I never thought about that. Maybe I'll get 2 'sight unseen' so I would have the option. I would like to eventually learn to hone, but it can wait until I can develop some decent shaving technique.
Razors breed like rabbits. You'll likely want to try other types, grinds, etc., as you learn. You can use the WDs to learn to hone once you've picked up a couple more.

Razors breed like rabbits. You'll likely want to try other types, grinds, etc., as you learn. You can use the WDs to learn to hone once you've picked up a couple more.

Good Luck on your journey, it is great, don't forget to get your AD card stamped at the opening of the deep pit:lol:

Thanks! I am going to try and keep it simple, but perhaps that is optimistic. I said the same thing about DE, and now I have about 9 razors.

I have to agree with Larry, I learned to use straights and hone at the same time and I am beginning to believe that I could have taken to both much faster if I had done only one at a time. It is possible though for sure as I have accomplished it myself. You definitely are going to a great source for your first razors as that is where I got my first one as well. They Do Breed like Jackrabbits too as Larry mentioned above so no worries about always having at least 1 ready to shave with :thumbup:

Enjoy the Journey and you might also want to think about starting a Journal as well Here in order to have a log of your progress. Doing that as well as all the help from the great members here helped me out immensely with getting better at using these amazing instruments.:thumbup1:

Jump on in -- the water's fine!

I third Larry's recommendations and second Nate's. Get a second razor, wait on the hones. (The only reason I'm learning both at the same time is that I had most of the honing gear already.) Start a journal: you'll get lots of encouragement and useful advice.

No need for a full set of Nortons if you start out with proper edges. You would only need a finishing stone. In no special order a Thuringian, Apache, Coticule, Jnat or 12k synth (well the 12k synth does come in last for me.)

Keep it simple. Learn to strop/shave with a sharp smooth razor. Honing, IMO, is the last thing on your mind. Read, watch tutorials, and then do. Think of it as a journey. Remember, it's supposed to be fun, good luck!

Jump in! I got a sight unseen flawed from WD. I'm now wishing I had gotten a regular sight unseen as well. I've only shaved once with it, but it was the best shave I've ever had.

Go slow, take it easy and let us know how you do.

Great group of people on here willing yo give lots of information!

Thanks everyone. It may be awhile before this happens. Probably this spring, but when the time comes, I will remember or revisit this thread.

In any case, good luck!
Agree with this. I bought 2 sight unseen razors from Larry before I attempted to learn to hone. I used the straights for 6 months before mixing in some honing. The key to honing is feel. Know what you're trying to achieve. As I learn to hone, I send one razor off to get honed professionally and when I get it back I compare. I've only been honing for a few months but did pick up the Norton deal from Larry. It works but you need find the technique that works best for you. It's more difficult since they're just quarters. I'm working in a raised holder for mine to keep it still as I hone. I also picked up a finishing stone in the 12k range along with the 4k/8k quarter set and have successfully refreshed all my hollows. The wedges are a different story and I continue to try and hone but end up shipping them off to be done right.
Cheers,
Eric

Last edited:
Too true. Straight rad is much worse! I stayed with two sight unseen razors in Feb and now I'm up to 12 straights. Not that I'm complaining, unless my son to be ex wants to try and take them in the divorce. I think they need to stay with their brothers.
Cheers,
Eric

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
What they said. Don't get hones yet. Probably u will decide to go full size, anyway, if or when you ever do buy stones. Lapping film is easier to get good consistent results and is way cheaper anyhow.

For now just touch up on balsa and CrOx or diamond.

No need for a full set of Nortons if you start out with proper edges. You would only need a finishing stone. In no special order a Thuringian, Apache, Coticule, Jnat or 12k synth (well the 12k synth does come in last for me.)

What they said. Don't get hones yet. Probably u will decide to go full size, anyway, if or when you ever do buy stones. Lapping film is easier to get good consistent results and is way cheaper anyhow.

For now just touch up on balsa and CrOx or diamond.

I will definitely keep this in mind when the time comes. Thanks!

I should have a package from WD arriving today or tomorrow. Just got 1 razor and a strop for starters. :straight:

Post pics and what you bought
$puzglue.PNG

4 shaves in. So far, so good. Had a little damage on the first use (some bumps), but the next 3 shaves went pretty well.

Excellent. Good call on his Poor Man's strop too - mine is still my main strop, it's great, inexpensive, and does the job just fine.

Top Bottom