What's new

Thinking about shaving off my gottee...

I have worn a Gottee for about fifteen years now. I shave it off every couple of years for about a week or so, and regret it every time. Either Im just not used to how I look without it, or I actually do look better with it.

I keep my gottee trimmed at all times. I usually trim it two to three times per week to keep it clean looking.

If i shave it should i just attack it with an open comb gillette new? or should i trim it down even shorter then shave it?

Has anybody else here gone form having hair to clean shaven, and liked it? If so how long did it take you to get used to it?

Yep, shaved off my short beard two days ago. I do the same, shave it off then grow it back after a week or so a couple of times a year. The only reason I grow it back is because the wife likes it. I've had mine for about 15 years as well. I kind of feel a bit bald without it although I like the feeling of being clean shaven. Maybe you should post a picture and get the guys to vote a 'with' or 'without'!:scared:

G

gone down south

The goatee look is a bit dated right now, I would lose it.

If you decide to shave, I would trim it as short as possible to make it easier on your skin, then use a de. I go back and forth between having facial hair and being clean-shaven fairly often. I like the way I look both ways, so I just go with whatever I'm in the mood for at the time.

I was always clean shaven until I could grow a decent goatee. Now I have one more often than not I find that when I shave it I look really odd. I think not having it makes my eyes look bigger (if that makes any sense at all).

Just be careful going ATG after you shave it for a while... your skin won't like it very much...

Shave it off.

Clean shaven rules. The vast majority of people look better without facial hair, no matter how long they've worn it. If you took a picture of yourself with it and then another without it, and took those pictures to random people and asked them to choose which looked better, the clean-shaven mug would win every time; i.e., most people who had never seen you with the goatte would prefer your face without it.

I would trim it short before shaving it; it'll make it easier to get it off.

Actually one time when I shaved it off, I had one guy tell me to never shave it off ever again. My lips and chin look weird with out it. Im not sure if I could get used to it. But there is something inside telling me to do it.

I keep putting it off. Maybe i will just do it tomorrow. Im letting my face heal form a tough shave yesterday.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I had a gottee for 7-8 years and shaved it once a year... It was all right but I prefer without. If you prefer keeping it, you should. If you shave it, it will take a week to grow back so it's not so bad!

If i shave it should i just attack it with an open comb gillette new? or should i trim it down even shorter then shave it?

Has anybody else here gone form having hair to clean shaven, and liked it? If so how long did it take you to get used to it?

I had a beard and stash for eight years. I had to trim it down before I could shave effectively, which might benefit you as well. I liked the looks of my face shaven, but it took about a week for me to get use to the "new me".

I had a beard and stash for eight years. I had to trim it down before I could shave effectively, which might benefit you as well. I liked the looks of my face shaven, but it took about a week for me to get use to the "new me".

That's right--there's an initial reaction phase. For about ten years, I'd shave mine off, then start growing it back in a couple of days. Finally, I waited it out. After a week or so, I got used to being clean shaven again. Now, I don't feel much like growing it back.

Actually one time when I shaved it off, I had one guy tell me to never shave it off ever again. My lips and chin look weird with out it. Im not sure if I could get used to it. But there is something inside telling me to do it.

I keep putting it off. Maybe i will just do it tomorrow. Im letting my face heal form a tough shave yesterday.

I haven't seen my chin in about 6 years. My wife doesn't want me to shave mine, but sometimes I want to. Last I recall, without my mustache and goatee, I look funny, like Homer Simpson when he shaves, before the shadow pops back.

i have known for a long time i do not look all that great without facial hair, my girlfriend did not believe me when i told her this fact. she insisted that she liked the clean shaven look better even though she had never seen it on me. so to prove my point, off with the facial hair. she hated it as do i generally. but i kept it clean shaven for a week just to get a little sun on areas that had not seen it for years. my advice if you know it looks better keep it, unless you need to prove a point to yourself or others and can live with the time it takes to grow back.

I have my goatee for about 15 years or so and I really don't care about it being fashionable or not. A few years ago I took the habit of shaving it off just before the summer vacation. It is back on my face when I am back home so no real damage done when you want/need it back fast.
When you use an open comb DE it has no use trimming it down before taking it off; the last time I took mine off the hairs were about 1'' long and they went down with the same ease and the same number of passes as my daily stubble does, or maybe even more easily.

Last edited:
I remember reading an article that says if you are confident in an outfit, with a haircut etc then keep whether or not its in style. Confidence trumps all. SO if you like it and are confident with it keep it.

That's my two cents!

Top Bottom