What's new

Thinking about returning my Vector....any advice?

I haven't completely made up my mind yet, but I am leaning towards sticking with DE. I don't have a lot of time left as I am already two weeks into my 30 days, and I am going to have to go back to my Tech for a bit to let my face heal up before I try the Vector again so I'll be cutting it close. No pun intended.

I haven't completely made up my mind yet, but I am leaning towards sticking with DE. I don't have a lot of time left as I am already two weeks into my 30 days, and I am going to have to go back to my Tech for a bit to let my face heal up before I try the Vector again so I'll be cutting it close. No pun intended.

Make sure to check out my previous comment and shoot us an email if you need a brief extension. We can also walk you through technique adjustments to get the most out of your Vector. We’ve seen every issue so we can almost always diagnose what’s going on and sort things out.

Shane and @Blackland Razors have exceptional customer service and are very helpful! Follow their advice and also reach out to them.

At the same time as following Blackland's advice above, I would also recommend keeping the razor very shallow - ride the cap. Then it almost feels like you are lightly pressing the top of the razor into your face, NOT the blade, but the top cap.

Keep trying, you will figure it out!

The shallow/steep thing has always been kind of confusing for me...would a shallow angle be like riding the curve of the head against the skin?
In all types of shaving, it just for SEs, shallow means with the razor blade itself close to your face, and steep means with the top of the blade further away from your face.
So, shallow would imply with the handle of the razor farther away from the face, and steep with the handle closer to the face.
I hope this is helpful.

The shallow/steep thing has always been kind of confusing for me...would a shallow angle be like riding the curve of the head against the skin?
Here is an illustration. For a shallow angle bring the handle up.

Shane and @Blackland Razors have exceptional customer service and are very helpful! Follow their advice and also reach out to them.

At the same time as following Blackland's advice above, I would also recommend keeping the razor very shallow - ride the cap. Then it almost feels like you are lightly pressing the top of the razor into your face, NOT the blade, but the top cap.

Keep trying, you will figure it out!

The same time I made the post here I did email Blackland support asking advice. I don’t *want* to return the razor, and since they seem to be willing to work with me on the 30 days I will keep trying, but for the next few days I’ll need to go back to the Tech until my face heals a bit. I was able to sell a couple of Gillettes I don’t use today, so if the Tatara sale is really good I may pick up a Masamune just to be safe.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Just a little background...I'm fairly new to shaving with safety razors and started with vintage DE Gillettes, the post-war Tech being my favorite of the bunch. My routine is simple, I start with hot water to the face, a nice slick lather of soap, shave, then a once over with an alum bar followed by Fellow Barber Everyday Tonic in lieu of aftershave. I like a smooth face, so I shave daily, but I wouldn't say I have unusually dense growth or anything.

So after shaving with the Tech for awhile I decided to treat myself to something nice, and settled on a Vector Ti, even though some said it was actually an aggressive razor.

I started using it with the Feather ProGuard blades. My first shave was a bit rough, had a few weepers, but shaves 2-4 were great and I thought I found my razor. Shave 5 was a bit "tuggy", so I thought maybe the blade needed changing and I opened up a pack of Feather Professional Artist Club blades that I bought with the set.

Ow! Despite being careful with a new blade, I got a really good cut just under the corner of my left jaw. Also, it seems to be irritating my face. I've attached a picture from this morning, this is day 8 with the razor and day 2 with the Feather Professional blade.

Do you think I made a mistake buying this razor? I would just go back to the ProGuard blades, but getting only 5 shaves out of them is really disappointing. Maybe I should stick with a milder DE razor like my Tech? Does Blackland offer anything like that? I'd swap for a Blackbird but I hear those are aggressive too. The other razor I was considering was a Tatara Masamune, but I'm open to suggestions.
The Ti Vector is the High Performance Sports Car of razors. It is also my favorite razor, blade type (AC, DE, GEM) notwithstanding.

My advice:

1. I do not prefer Feather Proguard or Feather Professional blades in my Ti or SS Vectors. To me, they tug and are harsh. Start with Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG blades. The Protouch MG blades are your "training wheels" with the Ti Vector SB.

2. I use a steep angle and prefer it. Try both and see which one YOU prefer..

3. As with all High Performance Sports Razors, you have to actively "drive" the Ti Vector around your face. The Ti Vector is an exceedingly light razor. There is no weight to let the razor do the work. You need to apply judicious and appropriate (light) pressure to keep the razor in consistent contact with your face.

4. After you get comfortable with the Ti Vector SB + Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG combination, the blades to consider (if you want to) are the Schick Proline P and Kai Captain Titan Mild.

Happy to help in any way I can.

Hope this helps. :)

There are many things I'd like to recommend.
But vector is a great razor that may not be the best, but it is the only razor that has its own personality.

I didn't like vector's SB, I didn't like the angle very much.
But I really like the OC, it is a little more aggressive but gives you more control and is safer as a result.
If you don't mind stainless steel, give it a try.

4. After you get comfortable with the Ti Vector SB + Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG combination, the blades to consider (if you want to) are the Schick Proline P and Kai Captain Titan Mild.
The Schick Prolines don't always fit the Vector due to tolerance variations. I have some that don't fit mine. I wouldn't recommend buying then them just for use in the Vector (and nor does Blackland).

3. As with all High Performance Sports Razors, you have to actively "drive" the Ti Vector around your face. The Ti Vector is an exceedingly light razor. There is no weight to let the razor do the work. You need to apply judicious and appropriate (light) pressure to keep the razor in consistent contact with your face.
:)

So maybe I should have gotten the stainless version instead?

I’d return it and go back to the Tech. If it was working for you, why change?

If you want to add a single edge to your repertoire, let me recommend highly the Schick injectors. All of them work well but the best, IMHO, are the E, G and J. These shave extraordinarily well, are as user friendly as it gets and are inexpensive and plentiful. Combined with a Chinese Schick blade (“Chick”), they provide the best shave possible w no skill or effort. Beware, because you will never want to shave with anything else again.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The weight difference is negligible and the Ti version provides superior face feel.

I love my Techs (including my Hybrid Tech and other Top Tier Techs) but once I mastered the Vector technique, it took the top spot in my Den.

In my opinion, the Ti Vector is a superior Daily Driver.

But it's your face, skin and beard. We all have individual needs and requirements.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The Schick Prolines don't always fit the Vector due to tolerance variations. I have some that don't fit mine. I wouldn't recommend buying then them just for use in the Vector (and nor does Blackland).
Understood and acknowledged. I have a large stash of Proline P blades from ~3+ years ago that I got directly from Japan. Have had zero issues with either my Stainless or Titanium Vectors.

Anyone who decides to try Prolines in their Vector should try a pack of 20 to verify that they fit.

If Proline P blades don't work, my recommendation is either (or both) the Kai Captain Titan Mild (no blade guard) and the Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (blade guard). I do not care for Feather blades in my Vectors, with the exception of the Pro Super which kicks the efficiency up a couple of notches (not for the inexperienced Vector user).

Just my opinion.

Understood and acknowledged. I have a large stash of Proline P blades from ~3+ years ago that I got directly from Japan. Have had zero issues with either my Stainless or Titanium Vectors.

Anyone who decides to try Prolines in their Vector should try a pack of 20 to verify that they fit.

If Proline P blades don't work, my recommendation is either (or both) the Kai Captain Titan Mild (no blade guard) and the Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (blade guard). I do not care for Feather blades in my Vectors, with the exception of the Pro Super which kicks the efficiency up a couple of notches (not for the inexperienced Vector user).

Just my opinion.
I'm currently using the Kai Captain Mild (Pink) in my Vector SB and it's perfectly OK, although slightly too mild for BBS. The Feather ProGuard is also OK. I'm slowly working through my AC blades to see what works for me and what doesn't. I'm thinking I'll use up my 40 Feather Professional blades regardless. Only the Pro Super with the OC baseplate is on my "never again" list.

I bought a polished SS Vector that I only use with a Timeless Ti Crown handle and the balance is great. The SS head only weighs 17g, so it's really light anyway. You could try any spare brass or SS handle with your ti head. That will make far, far more difference than a SS head. Personally I prefer the better control of a light razor but YMMV.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents

If you want to add a single edge to your repertoire, let me recommend highly the Schick injectors. All of them work well but the best, IMHO, are the E, G and J. These shave extraordinarily well, are as user friendly as it gets and are inexpensive and plentiful. Combined with a Chinese Schick blade (“Chick”), they provide the best shave possible w no skill or effort. Beware, because you will never want to shave with anything else again.
He's right, you know. I've got a couple of E2 Schick razors and they are the cat's meow. The "Chick" blades last forever. Most report 14-30 shaves per blade.

The Vector is a hot rod that will deliver, but needs to be used with care, I use the Kai Protouch MG in mine.
I would take Shawn up on his offer and also see if you can get your hands on a Schick injector to compare the shaves.

~doug~

I ended up returning the Vector. A great razor I'm sure, just not for me.

Since I did want to splurge on something nice, I did order a mirror-nickel replated English flat-bottom Tech from Back Roads Gold that should arrive soon. Chris says it's a rarer one with a thin handle from the 40s.

I may take a look at the injectors...is the cost of entry high if I just wanted to try it out?

Top Bottom