What's new

Thinking about picking up a Rockwell 6S - questions...

I would also look at a Karve and a Razorock Game Changer. Much more plate choice including open comb.

the 6S is a great razor but it is bulky so shaving under the nose can be a challenge. Also the plates only go from
Ridiculously mild to kinda aggressive. If you want super aggressive or OC, you are out of luck.

i have seen 10-20% off. 10% shouldn’t be that hard to find if you are patient.

The Rockwell is butter smooth, as is the Karve. The Rockwell comes complete with 3 double sided plates, Karve you have to guess and add on. The good news is the Karve plates sell easily on BST. Get on the Rockwell mailing list and you will be notified of sales and offers that do come out periodically.

I purchased a Rockwell 6C straight from Rockwell approximately 4 months ago and are on their mailing list. Just received an email 2 days ago regarding a sale. All razors are 15% off and 20% off kits. They have free shipping on any purchase over $45 and a 6S definitely will exceed that.

The 6s is a reliable shaver. It is comfortable and provides great flexibility with the plates. Plate 2 is extremely mild but is the only razor I can really finish with somewhat against the grain, so I occasionally finish with it after using one of my other razors. I am waiting on a Karve I got off BST, so I can't yet provide comparison there but the 6s is a solid choice.

I invested to a 6C instead of a 6S and this choice helped me to buy a brush.

Both 6C and 6S are problem free platforms.

6S is stainless steel and 6C is Chrome. If you are a minimalist go for a 6S and if you are a hobbiest (as I am) pick the inexpenssive one (6C) and use the USD 50 "saved" for another stuff.

The Rockwell 6C or 6S are both excellent razors highly regarded by some on this forum. I chose the 6C for approx. $50 instead of the 6S for approx. $100 because I figured it would be a razor that would not be the end-all of razors for me but would let me learn good technique & figure out what I like in a razor. The 6C served me very well in that regard, & provided a consistent excellent shave. Good luck as you decide.

Keep in mind that the both 6S and 6C (same razor, different material) are not very efficient even on setting 6, so unless you want a very mild razor for every day use, I would pick something else. The Razorock Game Changer .84 sb is imo a better choice. It's more efficient and the small head helps you under the nose.

I could have bought the 6S but I went with the 6C instead. I’m not a big fan of matte finishes and the 6C is built well enough to last a long time. I agree that the head is chunky and borderline clumsy under the nose but this razor shaves beautifully everywhere else. The ability to choose the plate based on amount of stubble or the blade you’re using makes it pretty much universal. As a disclaimer, I don’t have a Karve so I have no basis for comparison.

I got my 6S in March. Have been shaving at least 5 days a week since then and managed to shave ATG without ingrowns for the first time ever (on R1 plate and was still not comfortable, but for me ATG never is). When I received mine, the cap had some tea stains - Rockwell sent me a new cap free of charge. The new one doesn't have the same issue and I successfully removed the stains from the old one using manufacturer directions.
With the 6S I can consistently obtain DCS without irritation - and I haven't changed my technique.
Negatives: bulky head, shaving under the nose requires extra time. Also, this is my first (and likely last) adjustable, which makes it suitable for daily and monthly beards, but in my experience, an open comb is as good and simpler for a 3d+ beard . For comparison, I would say the FOCS is (on the side with less blade exposure) comparable to 6S@R3 up to (on the FOCS side with larger exposure) 6S@R5, but I don't need to adjust anything with the FOCS if I skip a week, whereas I typically shave with 6S@R2 on most days and @R4 for multiple-day growth.
To put my criticism in other words: if the Rockwell had a slimmer, trapezoid head and all the plates were OC on one side, Rockwell would blow the fish out of the pond (or at least make my shave quicker). I can highly recommend the 6S despite its flaws though.

For a plate system razor I would look at Karve and Homelike shaving Start or Colibri. Razorock Game Changer has enough versions now to almost be a plate system now and all plates are fantastic.
Honestly Rockwell was a huge breakthrough when it came out but now it is very dated in design. The baseplates make the razor head massive and unwieldy by comparison.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I got dozens of razors by now, so here is my take on the Rockwell

1.) attractive price point
2.) very good results/very good razor head
3.) you will quickly settle for one of the higher plates
4.) quality control and service issues, read the forum for more
5.) visually drab grey metal or coating

Honestly, I am blunt and don't beat around the bush, I shoot straight: I like the Razorock Game Changer .84 with either comb so much more. And quite a lot of other razors by now, just to name one roughly around the same price. If you wand a barely more expensive but already quite luxury version of the Rockwell, the Karve with plate C or D closed comb is also an attractive alternative.

Well, it depends really on your whiskers. If you have stubble that's like peach down, then the Rockwell 6s will be adequate. But if your stubble resembles a steel brush after 24 hours then as other members here have mentioned, the Rockwell may not be efficient enough for you.

Let me sum it up. I do not recommend the 6s because it's casted (more QC probls) and not milled. For the same price, I would much rather recommend the Karve or the Razorock Game changer. Both of these are available in CNC milled stainless steel and offer a variety of heads with different gaps as well Open or Closed Comb. Both Karve and Razorock are significantly more efficient and better engineered AND has a healthy BST market should you decide that you want to change to a different plate.

Speaking from personal experience having owned all 3 razors mentioned here, the Rockwell is the only razor purchase I regret. Not because it's not a good product, but simply because at the same price point, I found razors that were equally smooth, but more efficient and better engineered.

Instead, I would say if you really want a Rockwell, get the 6C. Otherwise if you want a piece that is dynamic and efficient, go with the Karve or Razorock Game changer.

Top Bottom