What's new

Thinking about picking up a Merkur Futur

Hello all. So, Im thinking about picking up a Mekur Futur. I like the modern look of them and I like aggressive razors (which it seems like most people think they are).
Ive done some research on them and they get great reviews on Amazon and Ive read some good things online about them.
It seems like some are concerned about the mechanism that holds the top cap on but Im yet to read anyone saying they broke the spring or the tabs on top cap. I have read some on uneven blade gap issues but those seem to be more related to a defect from the vendor.
The Futur sounds like a winner from where Im sitting. Modern design, aggressive. Am I missing anything?

Hello all. So, Im thinking about picking up a Mekur Futur. I like the modern look of them and I like aggressive razors (which it seems like most people think they are).
Ive done some research on them and they get great reviews on Amazon and Ive read some good things online about them.
It seems like some are concerned about the mechanism that holds the top cap on but Im yet to read anyone saying they broke the spring or the tabs on top cap. I have read some on uneven blade gap issues but those seem to be more related to a defect from the vendor.
The Futur sounds like a winner from where Im sitting. Modern design, aggressive. Am I missing anything?
You could buy one of the Ming Shi 2000 / Qshave copies very cheaply to get an idea of what it would be like

I got one a month ago and used it 4-5 times so far. Here's my short review of it.

It is a very aggressive razor, I use my fatboy and slim at 7 and it's mild enough for me. The futur on the maximum setting though peeled half my face right off. After that I started shaving on 2 or 3 and it gave quite good and comfortable shaves. Also it looks stunning. However, I really didn't like this tool much. It's heavy and bulky with little grip, fits uncomfortably under the nose and maintaining proper angle when going ATG was a bit more difficult for me than with other razors. Also, although I like vocal razors, I don't like the sound the futur produces, it's not the serene shhhwishhh you normally get, but a more metalic schwiiing.

Maybe get a Ming Shi futur clone for a fraction of the cost and see if you like it. I've heard people give high praise to the chinese clone.

I don't like the futur for a few reasons:

1. Too bulky
2. Changing mechanism
3. Smooth handle

It really personal preferences though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent razor. Provides very close and smooth shaves. Top cap install and removal is a snap. I've had mine for 8 months, not a single issue. Top 5 adjustable DE in my book. There's a Futur clone razor pif in here for the Ming Shi 2000. Take a shot and sign up for a chance.....

Excellent razor. Provides very close and smooth shaves. Top cap install and removal is a snap. I've had mine for 8 months, not a single issue.

+1, except replace 8 months with five years.

Only thing I'd note, and as alluded to, there are clones out there. It may be worth it to pay a little extra to get it from a trusted vendor instead of just going for the lowest cost option online.

I've had mine for a 2-3 years now. Really like it. Does it have potential to bite? Absolutely. It also has the ability to provide a 2-pass BBS, which most razors I've tried do not. If you're looking for aggressive, sounds like it could be right up your alley.

Effectiveness of the R41, more feedback than anything I've used (El Jefe SE included), adjustable. All those = Win

Yes, you have to be careful trying to adjust it when it's got a blade loaded, but I've never had any issues with a slippery handle. It's a solid machine, and it remains while the Fatboy and Slim are no longer with me.

I use a Mingshi 2000S Adjustable which I bought on eBay for €14 shipped
I know they sell them on Ali Express for about $8 but I regularly buy and sell on eBay and prefer to pay a bit extra and buy on eBay because positive feedback is good for business.

It was shipped from China to Spain in only 7 days and since shaving with it I've become hooked, so much so that I sold my Wizamet W-11 and Ideal Adjustables because I got a far superior shave with the 2000S - IMHO it's the only adjustable I'll ever need, unless they make a low priced clone of the Merkur Progress, Mergress or Merkur Vision.

If the clone is anything to go by I know I'd enjoy using a genuine Futur, but as I'm happy with the clone, I'd rather just have the money than "upgrade" to a Futur
But YMMV

Top Bottom