What's new

Thinking about picking up a Dovo shavette

Lately Ive been thinking about picking up a Dovo shavette. Ive always used either the Feather AC razors or the style that has the 2 halves of the arm and the other smaller locking arm.
Ive been thinking that other than replacing the insert that holds the blade every now and then, the razor itself should pretty much last forever because its all plastic/aluminum/stainless and really has no moving parts to it.
Looking at the reviews on Amazon, Im not sure that I can trust most of them because the gripes seem to be more than people didnt realize that its aluminum and plastic or people who probably arent intelligent enough or coordinated enough to be able to handle loading the blade into a shavette. Its one of those things where you need to take online reviews with a grain of salt, I think.
I guess my question is more for people who have owned it and how long I could expect the inserts to last. Thanks.

I have a dovo shavette, focus R 21, artist club kamisori style shavette. I don’t like the R21, probably because before that i used the Dovo Shavette. My local barber also uses Dovo shavettes and has gone years with out replacing plastic insert and that is with daily use. I think the new 1/2 DE insert is clear making it difficult to visualize the index points. But I love the long dovo blades in the shavette, but you better hurry because I understand they are no longer producing the long blades. The feather AC system is a beast in to itself. I’m currently learning to tame the feather SS kamisori style with feather super blades. As you know the feather blades are legendary sharp. If you already have Feather AC razor, why do you want get a Dovo shavette?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Amazon reviews led me to the Focus Al over the Dovo. I’ve never used a Dovo but expect they are just find plus it gives you the option of longer blades. What really drove me to the Al was the very convenient loading system. That being said, the Parker is a great shavette.

the focus R28 has been on my radar. it is well made no parts to wear out, it has similar technology to the focus R48, with the angle gide stretch thing which i think is better served on shavette vs the R48 single edge. head is a bit chunkier than dovo. hope to find one discounted/used or trade to try out. let us know how it shaves.

Lately Ive been thinking about picking up a Dovo shavette. Ive always used either the Feather AC razors or the style that has the 2 halves of the arm and the other smaller locking arm.
Ive been thinking that other than replacing the insert that holds the blade every now and then, the razor itself should pretty much last forever because its all plastic/aluminum/stainless and really has no moving parts to it.
Looking at the reviews on Amazon, Im not sure that I can trust most of them because the gripes seem to be more than people didnt realize that its aluminum and plastic or people who probably arent intelligent enough or coordinated enough to be able to handle loading the blade into a shavette. Its one of those things where you need to take online reviews with a grain of salt, I think.
I guess my question is more for people who have owned it and how long I could expect the inserts to last. Thanks.

Nothing wrong with the Dovo Shavette. Since you are already an AC shavette user, I would recommend buying the green insert if you do decide to get a Dovo Shavette. IME, that is the only setup that will give you a shave comparable to an AC shavette. As always, YMMV.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
the focus R28 has been on my radar. it is well made no parts to wear out, it has similar technology to the focus R48, with the angle gide stretch thing which i think is better served on shavette vs the R48 single edge. head is a bit chunkier than dovo. hope to find one discounted/used or trade to try out. let us know how it shaves.
The truly great thing about the Focus Al is the loading system as well as the point guards. Very nice shavette but a bit pricey. Great for travel. I would buy it again

I ended up sending the Dovo back. I didnt like how light it is and just had some reservations about the plastic blade holer and aluminum arm that holds the insert.
I recently picked up a Sanguine and Equinox. The Sanguine is nice and looks very well made. The Equinox is just OK but it was only $8 and came with 100 blades, so I cant really complain. The funny thing is, my biggest gripe with the Equinox is that the scales are stainless and are quite a bit heavier than the shank is, so its kind of hard to control the angle when you are holding it.
Ive got those, in addition to my Parker SRDW that Ive been using for the past month or so.

I have yet to have issues with dovo shavette. My local barber has been using them for years with daily use and multiple blade changes. I also like the way the dovo protects the corner of blade. I also like how narrow the it is. I don’t think there another shavette that narrow ( spine to blade). The non aluminum ones are a bit heavier. I also found them to be light bit still well balanced.plus the dovo has the option of using the dovo long blade. And should plastic insert fail there it’s pretty easy to get replacement.

Top Bottom