What's new

Thinking about jumping into Boar

Here’s a picture of my two favorite Semogue boar brushes. I forgot the model numbers, but I believe they’re still in Semogue’s lineup. I’ve had both over 8 years now and they’re great at making a lather. They’re not scritchy at all, but do have a great backbone.

9E388543-7442-458E-B8D6-208F04F09DA6.jpeg

Here’s a picture of my two favorite Semogue boar brushes. I forgot the model numbers, but I believe they’re still in Semogue’s lineup. I’ve had both over 8 years now and they’re great at making a lather. They’re not scritchy at all, but do have a great backbone.

View attachment 1566348
The one on the right with the acrylic handle is my favorite out of the 10 brushes I have in my den.

Those look to be the 1800 (wood) and the 610 (acrylic). Come to think of it, the acrylic might be the 820.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Thanks so much to all of your input. I admit I am a little overwhelmed!

With razors I generally prefer efficiency. With brushes I just have no basis of comparison.

Is anyone who has used a whole bunch of these brushes able to suggest one that is middle of the road?

With razors I generally prefer efficiency. With brushes I just have no basis of comparison.

Is anyone who has used a whole bunch of these brushes able to suggest one that is middle of the road?
Middle of the road would probably be the Proraso Pro by Omega. However, it has a somewhat cheap chromed plastic handle that bothers some people.

For a bit more money, the Omega Jade has a classier solid resin handle with a dense knot that is set slightly lower than the Proraso Pro. This brush is only available from Connaught Shaving in the UK.

A smaller boar that I would consider middle of the road would be something like the Omega 11137 which has an ash wood handle. Pasteur's Pharmacy has the brush at a very good price with free shipping. A similar brush in size and feel is the Omega 10066, which is probably one of their most popular ones.

These are all pretty inexpensive compared to two-band badger.

Last edited:
Middle of the road would probably be the Proraso Pro by Omega. However, it has a somewhat cheap chromed plastic handle that bothers some people.
Omega also makes, or used to make, that brush with white, black, and red handles. I've got the white and the black. Fantastic brush.

Check out the pass around to try some out!

We put some really detailed reviews of 10 boar brushes in this thread. Take a look!

I have the Zenith on the right with a 506 copper handle. I love that handle design.... wood or resin.. it's the shape that works so well for me.

Zenith B33 with a Copper 506 handle: Zenith Copper Boar Brush. 27.5mm Made In Italy B33 | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/255745704686

View attachment 1566316
I love the Zenith B33. It is my favorite boar brush I've used. It's what I compared the other 9 brushes to in that pass around. It's not middle of the road, but it leans hard toward my preferences: dense, soft, heavy, durable, and very comfortable handle.

As far as middle of the road, I'd say the Omega Jade is a pretty decent choice. It lathers great, has a cool handle, and doesn't break the bank. I prefer more backbone, but it's not a total flop mop!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
So, I am thinking about diving into boar brushes again. For literally years I have been content with a PAA Peregrino. I am reading about Omega and Zenith brushes and my curiosity is piqued.

I either use cream in a bowl or a shave stick on my face, so scritch and backbone aren’t the most important. That being said I don’t want a completely floppy brush either.

Would anyone be able to help me out? I have been gone from the brush world so long that I don’t know what’s what anymore.

20221130_204938~2.jpg

My favorite boar brushes are the Omega Connaught Jade, Zenith Butterscotch Chubby, Semogue Owners Club Taj, Omega Pro48 and the Zenith Wenghe Wood. :)

Currently breaking in a new Semogue owners club. On day 6. Only have two brushes they both happen to be Semogues. I was gifted a badger brush with an aluminum handle. It was too short for my shaving bowl and I didn't like the texture either . So boar it is!

Attachments

• 20221204_151543.jpg
    20221204_151543.jpg
    851.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20221201_172040.jpg
    20221201_172040.jpg
    807.9 KB · Views: 8

The Omega boar 10108 available from Connaught Shaving is an inexpensive 57mm knot with a 56mm loft. I own and have used about twenty brushes, Omegas Semogues and a Zenith, small medium and big sizes and for me the 10108 hits a sweet spot. Not too small and not too big with a nice comfortable handle.

Top Bottom