What's new

Thinking about jumping into Boar

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
So, I am thinking about diving into boar brushes again. For literally years I have been content with a PAA Peregrino. I am reading about Omega and Zenith brushes and my curiosity is piqued.

I either use cream in a bowl or a shave stick on my face, so scritch and backbone aren’t the most important. That being said I don’t want a completely floppy brush either.

Would anyone be able to help me out? I have been gone from the brush world so long that I don’t know what’s what anymore.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
My two favorites are the Omega Jade 011842 that's sold by Connaught Shaving and the Proraso Professional (made by Omega).

IMO, the Proraso Professional is great place to start since it's so good and only about $20, but can often be gotten for closer to $15.
many thanks!

In addition to the above very good suggestions, the Zenith boars can be great, too. I've got two that I could suggest. Model B03-A26 with aluminum handle and model 80 with your choice of black, white or red handle.

The B03-A26 aluminum is a 26mm knot with ~56mm loft. Just right, in my book if you like larger boar knots.

The model 80 is higher lofted and borderline floppy, but great for soft soaps and creams. Very cheap from Razor Blades Club on Amazon with free Prime shipping.

1670023020337.png
1670022812586.png

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
In addition to the above very good suggestions, the Zenith boars can be great, too. I've got two that I could suggest. Model B03-A26 with aluminum handle and model 80 with your choice of black, white or red handle.

The B03-A26 aluminum is a 26mm knot with ~56mm loft. Just right, in my book if you like larger boar knots.

The model 80 is higher lofted and borderline floppy, but great for soft soaps and creams. Very cheap from Razor Blades Club on Amazon with free Prime shipping.

View attachment 1565972View attachment 1565970

Omega pro
thank you sirs, keep the suggestions coming!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have some Yaqi boar brushes and they are very good. I bought mostly the 24mm brushes and they work for my shaving needs. I also have a Omega 22mm 10005 brush that is a good boar brush also.
(Some old archived photo's of my Yaqi boar brushes I used for my breaking in a boar brush thread !) Click on photo to enlarge.
( L-R ,Yaqi 24mm "viper" + Yaqi 24mm "Ferrari ".)
Yaqi #1 Viper 24mm boar brush (3).jpg
Yaqi boar brush broke in after 2 days after 2 days in fridge 2.6.jpg

(L-R, Yaqi 24mm "Robin" + Yaqi 24mm "Orbital ring".)
Yaqi #1 Robin 24mm boar bristle brush collage.jpg
Yaqi #1 Orbital ring 24mm boar bristle brush collage..jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Check out the pass around to try some out!

Ha! So many options! And so affordable. The Zenith unbleached or the turn n shave shoat is where I'd start again if I ever zeroed my boars.

I am a huge fan of backbone and scrub in a boar and could care less about soft tips. I face lather, mainly with sticks, and look forward to my piggy massage.

That said, I love Omega's unbleached knots in the 23-24mm range. What profile and material of handle is up to you. The classic jar is great for me, which explains this 10065/10066 rotation I am indulging currently:

66BD73EB-D79C-455E-B7DC-2AF420E45F0F.jpeg

The two on the right, purchased from Connaught, are still breaking in. The whole rotation cost less than $50. I generally prefer wooden handles, but these inexpensive plastic jar-shaped handles get much more use than my Omega 10005.

Zenith or Omega. I have a bad experience with a Semogue, it became floppy, doesn't lather well and eats mounds of lather even after months of use.

Definitely have a look at the semogue brushes. They’re excellent.

That was my thought too.
Coming from badger brushes, the Semogue SOC and Torga C5 in boar could make a great starting point as their proportions are probably closer to the badger brushes that you are used to.

The Omega Professional brushes have a bit too much loft for my taste and I rarely use mine.
I also consider Semogues superior, but that is my preference and others may disagree.

Two things that should be mentioned:
1) Breaking in a boar brush.
There is the theory that if you soak a boar brush a few times overnight in cold water it will speed up the process.
This ‘cold water’ has been interpreted by some to mean refrigerated water, but what the Italian barber who mentioned this in an interview had in mind was room temperature water.
2) Many also believe that a boar brush needs to be soaked for some time before a shave.
I myself believed this to be true for quite some time, but in fact a quick dip in shaving temperature water is all that is needed. I you are face-lathering, it may actually make it easier for the brush to pick up soap from the bowl.
It seems that this several (5-15) minutes soaking myth is slowly on the wane anyway.

I quite like my (Semogue, DaniDom, Omega) boar brushes, but for some reason I seem to use them more often in summer.

B.

Last edited:
I think the Omega 10049 would fit the bill. Still my favorite brush overall. I just wish it had a "deluxe" handle but for $8 .....

I tried the SOC and much prefer the Omega.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I’ve spent way too much on badger to ever admit that I prefer boar. Saying that my Semogue Owners Club and Zenith 506U are very nice brushes. The Zenith is probably a touch denser and has maintained more backbone throughout the break in process.

View attachment 1566106
I have the Zenith on the right with a 506 copper handle. I love that handle design.... wood or resin.. it's the shape that works so well for me.

Zenith B33 with a Copper 506 handle: Zenith Copper Boar Brush. 27.5mm Made In Italy B33 | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/255745704686

RE_Dec1stShave.jpg

I singled out 3 more boar brushes out of the 8 I have for the next 3 DecemBOAR month: the Omega Jade "Professional" from Connaught as has been mentioned; the Zenith unbleached boar, black 506 resin handle 506N XSE from YourShaving; Zenith Resin Malachite handle 502SE also from YourShaving.

Top Bottom