What's new

Thinking about going to see KISS

Ad Astra

The Instigator
All right. Showing my age, but the 70s rock was what I liked and listened to. Still do.

Being tempted to see KISS on the last-final-farewell tour of theirs.

Torn because:

1. Never a KISS fan. Sure, lots of hits, but ... just not into them. Frank Zappa, Blue Oyster Cult ... there were groups I'd do a lot to see. Kiss, ah.

2. This IS a thing. Meaning, quite possibly a cultural don't-miss of my generation.

Any thoughts from (other) graying rockers in the audience?

AA

I listened to them years ago. However, when I went to concerts in my youth, lawn tickets were $9. I haven't looked at the price of KISS tickets, but I can't imagine I would want to see any concert enough to pay crazy prices.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

The Who (or what's left of them) are also touring this summer, but they're not going to say it's their last anymore. I'd much rather pay to see them (again) than Kiss.

If it's something that you think you'll enjoy, then absolutely go and have fun, otherwise it's just another night at home reading posts about soap with the rest of us. I saw them like 20 years ago and i think that was supposed to be a farewell tour too HA !

Bands from the Classic rock era are becoming more rare everyday. Touring is rough on those ol' fellas now. I had to twist my dad's arm to get him out of the house to see Steely Dan, 2 years ago at the Beacon....the thing that got him to go was, i said - how many more chances do you think you're gonna get to see these guys again? .........and a few months after that show Walter Becker died. So go and rock out !!

The Who (or what's left of them) are also touring this summer, but they're not going to say it's their last anymore. I'd much rather pay to see them (again) than Kiss.

My stepfather was a cameraman for the first last Who tour ~1982. I got to serve as a 14-year old camera grip. I got to meet them all and get their autographs. I remember how surprised I was at how short Roger Daltrey was.

I would go see Kiss. Why not? Never my favorite, but I’m sure it would be a good time.

Me with Gene Simmons:

6A5FFD1C-C183-4114-85F9-7708D7916A19.jpeg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
My stepfather was a cameraman for the first last Who tour ~1982. I got to serve as a 14-year old camera grip. I got to meet them all and get their autographs. I remember how surprised I was at how short Roger Daltrey was.

I would go see Kiss. Why not? Never my favorite, but I’m sure it would be a good time.

Me with Gene Simmons:

View attachment 948399

That would be it!

Also, tickets aren't bad - less than $100.

AA

To this day, one of my most perplexing, head-scratching "things" about my life was why I ever had BOTH KISS double live albums in my possession, but... I did. I also remember watching the made-for-TV movie, in its entirety, featuring the band KISS depicted as super heroes with magical powers:001_huh:.

Their music, while okay, was not what you'd call ground breaking. I think what attracted me to them was that they were unique, but in the end they were just a cartoon rock and roll group. Later interviews with the band members (remember, they were never seen out of makeup or in character during their heyday) showed they were reasonably intelligent, but it never changed my mind as far as justifying why I had that brief KISS love affair.

Have you checked on ticket prices? I won't be going... cultural event or not. Don't take this as really slamming you or jumping on you about their final tour, but you did want our opinion. My infatuation with KISS was just one of those moments in my life when I have to look in the mirror and say "Huh??" to myself.

Don

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Can’t mis of that generation would be a Led Zeppelin reunion. KISS? I would be meh on that.

1. Never a KISS fan. Sure, lots of hits, but ... just not into them. Frank Zappa, Blue Oyster Cult ... there were groups I'd do a lot to see. Kiss, ah.

I always would tell people that no one ever asked for their money back after a KISS concert. These days? Paul's voice is shot, so they will be doing one of two things: playing live and using auto tune for the vocal mix, or completely playing "to track" as they have done on several recent TV appearances. It will likely still be a heck of a production/event, but I am not one to pay those kinds of prices for lip-synching.

2. This IS a thing. Meaning, quite possibly a cultural don't-miss of my generation.

I saw the last tour with make-up (Creatures) and the first tour without it (Lick it Up, Eric Carr's last ride). All in all I have seen them 4 times. Only band I have seen more often was Iron Maiden. I would still go see a Maiden show today. KISS? Thanks for the memories, boys.

I've been to lots of concerts as I really enjoy live music. Some concerts I look back on and wish I would have went to. Like Pink Floyd, for example, as I know I would have enjoyed seeing them live.

As to if you should go or not, only you can answer that one. The first thing I'd ask myself is if it's one that I'd regret missing. That would help me determine how much I'm willing to pay for tickets and how close I'd want to be. Would I want really good seats or maybe just some cheaper general admission lawn seats for something to do on a random Wednesday night?

I've been to plenty of concerts, some that I could have easily skipped and even most of those were still a good time.

While I had some KISS albums growing up it's not a must see one for me personally as I wasn't a big fan of their music. That being said, from a stage performance standpoint I suspect that they'd put on a very entertaining show. I know people that have seen them live and they had a great time.

All right. Showing my age, but the 70s rock was what I liked and listened to. Still do.

Being tempted to see KISS on the last-final-farewell tour of theirs.

Torn because:

Any thoughts from (other) graying rockers in the audience?

AA

If I didn't like a band, I wouldn't go see them in concert, farewell tour or not. If I kind of liked them, then maybe. If I was a huge fan, definitely.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I saw them 25 years ago, and I wasn't a huge Kiss fan either, but they put on a good show. Aside from the pyrotechnics, the thing I remember most vividly, is that Paul Stanley's voice sounded recording quality - far better than other bands I'd seen live - but Gene Simmons' voice did sound like they were a good way through a very long tour.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Why not. I have enjoyed their songs on and off over the years. You might never get the chance to see them again. It is only one night and you might have a really great time.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Doubt I'd go, was just never a big fan. Bob Seger? Oh yeah. Had backstage passes the last tour. Met everyone but him, he don't do that no more.

alishock

I wrap my lips around a lovely pipe
Saw them in 99 and then in 2016 and Paul Stanley's voice had deteriorated significantly. I actually felt embarrassed for him. There are loads of videos showing his poor vocals online. There has been a lot said about them recently using a vocal track to support him. I loved kiss but hate what they have become. Money grabbers more than ever with their meet and greets etc.

I checked out some videos of their Vancouver show last night and the vocals sounded good. But I do think Paul must be lip syncing as he didn't sound anything like that when I last saw them.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
If you like their music, Go. They are great entertainers. I like some of thier songs and may have 1 of their albums. I find them too repetitive. They definitely shine in their live show. They are good at having simple to sing lyrics and really pumping up the crowd. I've seen them once, glad I did. I could have done without 2 hours of the Moror City Madman beforehand, tbh.

Funny thing is I SAW THEM ON THEIR FAREWELL TOUR.....ALMOST 20 YEARS AGO!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I am kicking it around Mike. I crossed Alice Cooper off my list last fall, that show ranked up in the top 3 concerts I have ever seen, plus I love Nita Strauss. :smile:

The aging rockers still have it.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I am kicking it around Mike. I crossed Alice Cooper off my list last fall, that show ranked up in the top 3 concerts I have ever seen, plus I love Nita Strauss. :smile:

Ah. It's a 3.5-hour drive. Would have to stay at a motel coming back, surely.

Told my buddy, with some regrets, didn't think I'd go.

Said he's buying two tickets.

To be continued ...

AA

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

I saw Alice around 1990- good show.

Top Bottom