What's new

Thinking about giving up on injector razors

What is there to think about? If they don’t perform satisfactorily for you then just stop using them. It’s really that simple.
I have limited experience with SE vs. DE. The only SE's I have real experience with are the Schick repeaters. Lot's of hands on with DE though. There is much performance variation in DE razors. Do all SE's feel about the same? Giving up on a razor I can understand, but giving up on the whole platform?

Some people love beans -- black beans, navy beans, fava beans, kidney beans, etc. I don't like 'em. So I don't eat 'em. And I don't feel a bit bad about it. Life is short, and there are lots of other foods to enjoy.
Lol made me laugh, you did. I'm with you on the beans.

Hey what about Jelly Beans?

Once of the first razors I used when I began to shave was a Schick Type L. That is the one that can be used with single and dual injector blades. I had bad acne during my teenage years, so using the razor was not comfortable. I quit using the razor and over the years, it ended up in the trash.

After retirement, I started exploring all the various avenues of wet shaving: shavettes, straights, DE (open comb an solid bar), and SE razors using Feather AC blades. Someone on the forum had a Schick Type L for sale with vintage blades, so I added it to my collection. The only thing I have never tried is a GEM style razor. My father had one and I never liked it.

As I have aged my beard has become very coarse and my skin has become sensitive. I found that the vintage Schick injector blades were not nearly sharp enough to give a close, comfortable shave. However, I purchased some Chinese Schick blades and found them to be quite good.

I often use multiple razors during the course of my four-pass shaves. I do not like using the Schick injector razor on my first pass, especially when I have more than one day's growth. However, it works quite well for my third pass ATG and my 4th clean-up pass.

Injector blades are many times more expensive than DE razor blades when purchased in bulk. However, I find that the Chinese injector blades stay sharp significantly longer than DE blades. The difference in longevity is not sufficient to compensate for the price difference, so I probably won't purchase additional injector blades, but I will keep the razor and use up the remaining blades.

When I got my Shick G4, there was an instruction sheet included for the the razor. (It was the Schick instructions that came with the razor.) The instructions specifically said to shave with the head flat against the face.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Greetings fellow shavers,
Sadly I have recently been thinking if i should give up on injector razors and sell the few that i have. One of the reasons i have been contemplating this is i rarely get a good shave from them. This also leads me to face the truth that in terms of blades both the shick and the personna are not compatible with me. Ill explain i have a pal adjustable injector, a shick m2 adjustable, a supply company injector and a shick type G razor. Out of all of those the type G is the worst in giving me a good shave. It feels way too light way too mild and maybe its the shick construction just feels cheap. As far as the adjustable razors i do like them but i can't seem to get a close yet smooth shave. The personna blade is smooth but lacks efficiency and the shick or chick as some reference them are just rougher without a justifiably significant bump in efficiency. This is more evident on the supply razor. I really love the weight of the supply and the design unlike the m2 it doesnt feel cheap even if its just zinc alloy. The problem i have is on plate 2 with the shick and the personna its a very smooth shave but not very efficient. On plate 3 especially with the shick its uber just rough without providing much increase of efficiency. Sorry if i ranted to much i just Really want to like injectors butit seems like there are not only limited in blade options but in efficiency as well. If anyone has any advice hints or new outlooks please feel free to communicate them to me. Thanks!
I bought a Shick adjustable in 1968 and loved it for years but gave it up for a Trac II eventually. I never really cared for DE’s. I eventually went with straight razors and found them to be the most comfortable and effective razors I ever used. Keep looking and you will find your way.

I bought a Shick adjustable in 1968 and loved it for years but gave it up for a Trac II eventually. I never really cared for DE’s. I eventually went with straight razors and found them to be the most comfortable and effective razors I ever used. Keep looking and you will find your way.

I love shaving with straight razors, but with my coarse beard and sensitive skin, I can only get 5-6 shaves before the edge gets either too dull for my beard or too rough for my face. Thus, I have to spend more time that I would like maintaining the razors.

The thing I like about DE razors is that there are a lot of variations in design. Also there are a lot of variations in DE blades. Thus, no matter what your beard type, skin type, and shaving style, you can usually find a combination that will work.

The variations in SE razors and blades are much more limited. You might not find a combination that works for you, but then you might love them.

Top Bottom