What's new

Thinking about giving up on injector razors

Greetings fellow shavers,
Sadly I have recently been thinking if i should give up on injector razors and sell the few that i have. One of the reasons i have been contemplating this is i rarely get a good shave from them. This also leads me to face the truth that in terms of blades both the shick and the personna are not compatible with me. Ill explain i have a pal adjustable injector, a shick m2 adjustable, a supply company injector and a shick type G razor. Out of all of those the type G is the worst in giving me a good shave. It feels way too light way too mild and maybe its the shick construction just feels cheap. As far as the adjustable razors i do like them but i can't seem to get a close yet smooth shave. The personna blade is smooth but lacks efficiency and the shick or chick as some reference them are just rougher without a justifiably significant bump in efficiency. This is more evident on the supply razor. I really love the weight of the supply and the design unlike the m2 it doesnt feel cheap even if its just zinc alloy. The problem i have is on plate 2 with the shick and the personna its a very smooth shave but not very efficient. On plate 3 especially with the shick its uber just rough without providing much increase of efficiency. Sorry if i ranted to much i just Really want to like injectors butit seems like there are not only limited in blade options but in efficiency as well. If anyone has any advice hints or new outlooks please feel free to communicate them to me. Thanks!

There is no dishonor in stepping away. Your calling may lie elsewhere. Although some may condemn, you alone know your heart. Take some time off and get to know your face again. Strip yourself of all expectations and see what remains. Sometimes the journey is lonely. Go to Dairy Queen and get a banana split... everything looks better after a banana split.

There is no dishonor in stepping away. Your calling may lie elsewhere. Although some may condemn, you alone know your heart. Take some time off and get to know your face again. Strip yourself of all expectations and see what remains. Sometimes the journey is lonely. Go to Dairy Queen and get a banana split... everything looks better after a banana split.
Thanks for that ! I might come back to it in a few years if there are any improvements just something a friend told me rings true . He said why bother with injectors when you get efficient shaves with Double edge razors? Im also trying to get into kamisori shavettes. Not going great but think it's a slow process to learn.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Thanks for that ! I might come back to it in a few years if there are any improvements just something a friend told me rings true . He said why bother with injectors when you get efficient shaves with Double edge razors? Im also trying to get into kamisori shavettes. Not going great but think it's a slow process to learn.

I have kamisori DE shavettes in my rotation what worked for me was to use one everyday and taking it real slow. I found that my muscle memory kicked in pretty fast thankfully before that I had at least one nick and a couple of weepers almost every shave. Dont get down hearted youll find something that you'll love to use through time its just trial and error. Wishing you some wonderful shaves

It took a concerted effort on my part to learn how to get a good shave with an injector. It's definitely just a different beast than a DE or anything else really. I haven't tried the PAL or Supply razors (would love to at some point!) but the Schick M1 and Parker adjustable I have provide killer shaves now and that's with both the sChick and Personna blades.

But that's my experience. And it was definitely frustrating for a while. If you aren't feeling it the worst thing you can do is force it. Either get rid of those razors in favor of something you'd enjoy using or pack them away for now and try again later. Never feel bad for something not turning out the way you had hoped. This is supposed to be fun, remember? 😀

Brother Blaze, by coincidence I shaved with a Schick Injector Type G this morning and got a marvelous three-pass shave. It was shave #13 on the current blade. I'm 84 years old, and I have tough "old man" whiskers.

I'm wondering about your blade angle. Are you aware that a Schick Injector requires a shallow angle (hold the handle up, with the face of the razor flat or very nearly flat against your face)? Also, use LIGHT pressure. If I were to use a steep angle, plus pressure, I would get the shave experience that you are describing.

Whatever works for you. I personally like using my Schick M3 with mostly Personna blades and I get great results with minimum effort, but I guess not everyone feels the same way as I do and that's ok. Your other options are - DE, GEM style and AC razors. Since you don't like injectors, you should probably skip the GEM style razors and start with DE and see if you like them. Or perhaps, you could try a straight razor instead.

Although we all have here the same goal - to get better shaves, we all have different preferences and pretty much everyone has a different take on what's best for him. Good luck, and I hope you find the right type of razor that suits you the most.

Whatever works for you. I personally like using my Schick M3 with mostly Personna blades and I get great results with minimum effort, but I guess not everyone feels the same way as I do and that's ok. Your other options are - DE, GEM style and AC razors. Since you don't like injectors, you should probably skip the GEM style razors and start with DE and see if you like them. Or perhaps, you could try a straight razor instead.

Although we all have here the same goal - to get better shaves, we all have different preferences and pretty much everyone has a different take on what's best for him. Good luck, and I hope you find the right type of razor that suits you the most.
Funny enough the gem razors aside from the 1924 one i believe are so far the best razors i own the micromatic and clogpruff are fantastic and De wise im more of the effecient type aggressive razor shaver.

Sadly I have recently been thinking if i should give up on injector razors and sell the few that i have. One of the reasons i have been contemplating this is i rarely get a good shave from them. This also leads me to face the truth that in terms of blades both the shick and the personna are not compatible with me. Ill explain i have a pal adjustable injector, a shick m2 adjustable, a supply company injector and a shick type G razor. Out of all of those the type G is the worst in giving me a good shave. It feels way too light way too mild and maybe its the shick construction just feels cheap. As far as the adjustable razors i do like them but i can't seem to get a close yet smooth shave. The personna blade is smooth but lacks efficiency and the shick or chick as some reference them are just rougher without a justifiably significant bump in efficiency. This is more evident on the supply razor. I really love the weight of the supply and the design unlike the m2 it doesnt feel cheap even if its just zinc alloy. The problem i have is on plate 2 with the shick and the personna its a very smooth shave but not very efficient. On plate 3 especially with the shick its uber just rough without providing much increase of efficiency. Sorry if i ranted to much i just Really want to like injectors butit seems like there are not only limited in blade options but in efficiency as well. If anyone has any advice hints or new outlooks please feel free to communicate them to me. Thanks!
If its not working for you, then maybe it is time to move on. A while back my wife bought me an Injector and I gave it a good for about a month before moving on from it.
I got to where I could get some really great shaves with it but I would have to use the lightest touch or else I would get some wicked razor burn and weepers.
I figured, why fuss and struggle with it so much when I could just use one of my Gillette Super Speeds or my EJ DE89?

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Nice to see all the support for your decision! It amazes me how differently people feel about this shaving business, and there's no reason to try to convince someone else to love what you love.

I've seen guys get gobsmacked by the new CNC razors being made today, and I've seen them go from those expensive razors back to a vintage Gillettes and wonder why they did not stick with them. I've seen guys go for the SR and never look back, others try it and it's not for them. There's no "one right way" it's all different.

I'm loving the vintage DE's and the vintage injectors right now. Use whatever gives YOU the best results, no need to say "sadly", it's all good!

This is similar to my "life's to short for...." thinking, whether it is coffee roasts, DEs, SEs, shirts or ties!! When you have something you like, enjoy it! Sure it's fun to try other roasts, some certain vintage razor, etc, but if it doesn't suit me, I stop trying to make myself like it and go to what I do like. Move the item on to someone who does like it or want to try it. We have a great BST for just that thing, and many guys have helped me either acquire something I sought or move something that wasn't for me. Use your friends wisely!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
When I started shaving Schick was the whole game for blades. I gleefully shifted to Wilkinson Sword when they debuted.

Reactions: Anu
Try one of these before you give up on injectors. Schick Magazine Repeating Razor. One of the smoothest shavers in my collection. Easy to reload the tray and clear the occasional jam when you get familiar with it. Many shaves from each blade and the cart holds 10 I believe. Sharp looking design and takes little room in the shaving kit. There are solid bar, closed comb, and open comb like this one available. I found a silver B3 model a while back it is a real beauty with hand hammered finish.
100_5460.JPG
100_5461.JPG

100_7819.JPG
100_7823.JPG

Last edited:
Funny enough the gem razors aside from the 1924 one i believe are so far the best razors i own the micromatic and clogpruff are fantastic and De wise im more of the effecient type aggressive razor shaver.

Those are some great razors that work well for you. Roll with it. If aggressive/sharp/efficient works best for you, dropping the injectors is overdue.

If you 'need' a variant SE that is the opposite of an injector, pick up an early AutoStrop that will take a modified Gem blade.

Nothing to worry about, if they don't work for you don't use them. I enjoy Schick shaves very much, but this is for me. There are so many good razors out there and there is the one that will perfectly work for you.

Top Bottom