What's new

Thinking about giving it up

In your post I count 5 different types of razors and you've only been at it for a few months? Sounds like you're throwing the whole kitchen sink at this and hoping for a quick solution. Try resetting your goals and your gear. Go back to something simple. 1 razor, one soap, one brush. I shaved (more or less poorly) for 25 years, using 1 razor, 1 soap, 1 brush. Learned the skills required to get a through-the-day kind of shave. Now I know what I was doing poorly and I get awesome shaves every day. This isn't a race. Slow down and find the right skill set for each product before moving on to the next. Plus you'll learn to enjoy your shave instead of dreading it. The good stuff is out there. Just be patient.

Good post.

Well should you go back to the 'modern' thing, try a few of the pivoting Good News, or Sensor2 as they seem to be labelled now. I always found them to be the best alternative for my Sensor razor that I used for many years, and way less than half the cost. Plus, you avoid the many bladed irritation thing, and the head is so small and thin it's gets everything a DE does.

Well thanks everyone for the advice. I was considering shaving my head anyways. So maybe I will use the razor for the face first see how it goes then try the head.

I too fell into the mistake of trying too many things all at once, and my first couple months were...interesting to say the least. Try not so much skipping from one thing that fails to another. Stick with one set of materials. One razor, one brand of blade, one soap or cream, and hone your craft until you've nailed it. If this means doing all the proper prep work and lathering with the soap/cream of your choice, and then shaving with a cart, it's bound to get you back on the right path.

I am thinking about getting a Gillette Mach 3 if I try it.

I don't like the Fusion; it's got too much drag, is hard to maneuver, and makes me prone to ingrown hairs. I can live with the Mach3, and did for years without much complaint. However, in comparison to my preferred twin-blade carts, I find it doesn't do anything the others don't do just as well or better, for less cost. FWIW, my favorite cart is the Sensor Excel.

My advice, don't look at DE as all or nothing. If you get better results with carts, use them when you have to (such as for work and important social occasions), and play with DE on weekends.

I read many here that not only mix up shaving tools through the week, but some have posted they even do it when shaving (DE for reduction and cart for clean up).

Bottom line is if you have the DE fever, don't feel like you have to throw away the whole process. Good luck sir.

Sorry my bad. I was using the Gillette 5 things. I know I know. Fell for the more blades better for you. Then switched to some 3 blade cartridges. I am thinking about getting a Gillette Mach 3 if I try it.

I used all the cart razors commonly made by Gillette from the early 80's all the way to the first 5 blade model. I could always cut myself with them if got in a hurry or didn't pay attention. The Mach 3 was the first cart razor that was so tolerant of my sloppy technique I was amazed. That's one cart razor Gillette got right IMHO.

I could always cut myself with them if got in a hurry or didn't pay attention. The Mach 3 was the first cart razor that was so tolerant of my sloppy technique I was amazed. That's one cart razor Gillette got right IMHO.

Interesting. I definitely notice more nicks with the Trac II and Atra, even now. For me the Sensor and Excel are as tolerant of bad technique as you experienced with the Mach3. I attribute that to the spring-mounted blades, which really do seem make the razor more forgiving. Personally, I found the Mach3 to be just as forgiving, but not more so.

Ok. So far this is the relevant data I've gathered regarding your problem

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
- Previous razor (Fusion, daily shaving and no problems)
- Current razors (DE and straight)
- Previous blades (nanoedge with spring mounted system)
- Current blades (various fixed microedge blades)
- Lathering styles (various soaps and creams, hot and cold water, various brushes)
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Check your gripping style

Ok so based on the data, if you bear with me, it will take a while and some experimenting to reach the source of the problem. So far, I am assuming that your razor maneuvering technique is not good on the neck area. But there is one more thing to note down. When I started shaving with fixed blade system instead of spring mounted blade system, I did get irritation problems right under my chin. My skin just wasn't ready for blades that had no suspension system effect. I had to change my gripping technique to incorporate that effect into my fingers. Now my fingers act like shock absorbers. Its not just about the pressure, but about the glide as well. The better your blade glides on your face, lesser the irritation

The Experiment

You will have to purchase three cartridge razors (Gillette sensor excel with spring mounted blades, atra with fixed blades but pivoting head and trac II with fixed blade and no pivoting or you can use Bic sensitive instead of trac II).

Start by shaving with trac II/Bic sensitive. If it causes irritation then, next day, move to atra. If the irritation problem gets better, you have maneuvering issues. If not, then move to sensor excel razor. I am pretty sure that when you will test shave with sensor, things will get better and will confirm that you need to fix your gripping and maneuvering technique.
And yes your shaves should be composed of only 2x WTG pass.

It is upto you whether you wish to dig this deep or not. I am not giving out orders, just showing the path I would take if the same issue persisted on my skin.

Good luck and I hope you find solution to your problem ASAP
Awesome advice thank you. Looks like I will be considering razor shopping shortly. Went out of your way to get this information. People like you make this forum awesome.

Excellent advice, Saad. I would add that if the problems improve with the Sensor, that might suggest pressure issues, since the spring-mounted blades help compensate for bearing down. (Some might argue they make bearing down necessary, but that's a different issue.) The fixed blades in the Trac II and Atra are less forgiving in this respect.

I don't see mention of which aftershave you are using. I know specific products are YMMV, but doing only a single WTG pass and using Lucky Tiger Aftershave/Face Tonic really fixed the issue for me.

I don't see mention of which aftershave you are using. I know specific products are YMMV, but doing only a single WTG pass and using Lucky Tiger Aftershave/Face Tonic really fixed the issue for me.
Lucky Tiger as well. Just got some Nviea Sensitive again.

In your post I count 5 different types of razors and you've only been at it for a few months? Sounds like you're throwing the whole kitchen sink at this and hoping for a quick solution. Try resetting your goals and your gear. Go back to something simple. 1 razor, one soap, one brush. I shaved (more or less poorly) for 25 years, using 1 razor, 1 soap, 1 brush. Learned the skills required to get a through-the-day kind of shave. Now I know what I was doing poorly and I get awesome shaves every day. This isn't a race. Slow down and find the right skill set for each product before moving on to the next. Plus you'll learn to enjoy your shave instead of dreading it. The good stuff is out there. Just be patient.

+1. The main thing is to SLOW DOWN.

IMO you might consider picking ONE SET-UP: one razor, one brush, one protective soap, one blade.

Then work on TECHNIQUE, especially the prep, lathering, no pressure. Try to learn something from every shave! This might get you farther, faster than trying every piece of kit you can find. Obviously YMMV, but these are good suggestions IMO.

Always had a neck irritation problem, that is one reason I tried de shaving. Best soap I've found is after much experimenting is Mudder Focker, the slickness is incredible and you you can feel it long after the shave. Aftershave Wax seemed to help too. (Far less harsh and easier on the skin. Nacet blades, smooth and sharp. And if you have not tried it look up bullfrogging. Made a big difference for me.

I wish you all the best.

Don

Bear with me here but are you pulling the skin tight and just letting the razor glide, remember no PRESSURE. I had the same exact issues and i ended up going to a pre shave oil to nourish my skin and get it back to health. and make sure you are using a slick as hell shaving soap. Also believe it or not I went to a heavy as hell razor (Merkur Futur) and Some Feathers......i was going to mild starting with a Slim then working to a Fatboy then i got my Futur and Big Boy and with a careful hand my shaves slowly got better. I use primarily the Futur with Feathers now and heavy menthol soaps Proraso Green/Frost Byte, and follow it up with Osage rub. on Special occasions i use the Big boy and some Caties Bubbles Smore or Razorock captains choice. The point of the rant is TAKE YOUR TIME you will find your niche products....but first and foremost use stuff to get your skin up to par it could be years and years of injury and irritation built up and you need to get your skin to par before you are going to get a good shave......keep in mind it took me the better part of six months to get my neck under control. Sometimes i get BBS but hell i will never chase it my skin is far to sensitive....there ends my rant and sorry for the run on sentences :)

Last edited:
In my mind there are 4 factors in a shave. Naturally this is just my personal observations about me.

1) 25% Prep
2) 25% Gear - Razor, blades, soap.
3) 25% Technique
4) 25% Post

The gear is really only 25% of the result. In my years and years as a Mach 3 user I found them to be extremely satisfactory, mostly because I already had Prep and Post figured out, and the M3 doesn't allow a lot of technique with the fixed angle in the plastic cartridge.

As for Prep, I have been a shower shaver - lots of hydration - since 1980. And somewhere along the way - late '90s - I became a Noxzema preshave fan.

For Post I always use an astringent immediately after exiting the shower where I just finished shaving. After a short while - long enough to dry my hair some - I use a very small amount of balm. Many products like Nivea work well. But my current darling is a pea size touch of CARMEX hand cream. Eucerin works well for me too. And by the time I've brushed my teeth it's aftershave time.

Lots of folks have given advice about tools and techniques.

This Pre/Post shave routine works great for me, cartridges, DE, straight.

Last edited:

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
If your neck is messed up, why don't you go ahead and not shave that area?

We've seen pictures of men who looked like this.

You should give it a try.

Top Bottom