What's new

Thinking about dry-ageing my own beef ... info?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I am thinking about dry-ageing my own beef. Well, not my own beef, but ... buy the beef and then dry-age it myself at home. (I don't own a herd of cattle.)

Thoughts?

Advice?

Good tools, resources, &c? I have found this website ... Steak ... but no idea if this is the best way to go or not. Thanks in advance ...

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I do it all the time. I don't use any special equipment, just a sheet pan with a cooling rack and paper towel(s) on the bottom of the pan (I change the towels as they get wet, usually only the first 2-3 days). Size of cut will determine length of drying/aging time. If you're going to do large primal cuts for weeks, it helps to have a spare fridge :001_smile

I like a whole strip loin aged for 28 days at 40 degrees, any less and it doesn’t do much, more than that starts to change the flavor. Elevate off the pan, damp cheesecloth over the top. Let it rot. A good fat cap on a strip loin gives you more edible meat. For me 28 days breaks down the muscle just enough to make it more tender but not starting the flavor change. I use a fridge I have in the garage. 28 days is about what you’d get at a store or restaurant that sells aged beef. After it rots for 28 days, cut off any discolored pieces and the rest is edible. Don’t overthink it. Just cut off what doesn’t look good and eat the rest. If you want to go for the cheese type flavor or have tried aged beef that is older than 28 days you can let it go longer, just know that it will have a strong pungent flavor. Happy Aging! It’s not difficult, go for it!!

A couple more bits: you don’t need anything more than a baking sheet, a rack to elevate it off the tray, and something damp to lay on it, cheesecloth, paper towels etc... and space, when you try your first aged steak buy a regular steak from the store and test side by side so you can see the wonderful difference!!

I've only done it for 2, 3 days like @shavefan, menu plan for the week Wed. and hit the farmer's market Thursday mornings. Use a small elevated rack set in a sizzle pan so takes up little room in the fridge. Salt it before i put it in the fridge and just leave it until ready to prep the cook.

Approx. 2lb blade.

IMG_E2405.JPG

dave

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I do it all the time. I don't use any special equipment, just a sheet pan with a cooling rack and paper towel(s) on the bottom of the pan (I change the towels as they get wet, usually only the first 2-3 days). Size of cut will determine length of drying/aging time. If you're going to do large primal cuts for weeks, it helps to have a spare fridge :001_smile

Here's my typical set-up...

Quarter sheet pan/rack with a relatively small steak
fullsizeoutput_1fb.jpeg

I find this small enough to not hog a whole 'fridge shelf but its large enough to handle about a 5 lb. roast, giant ribeye, or whole chicken (spatchcocked).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MYXCVUI/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I found this video a week or two ago, and once i find myself out of nursing school, this is something that i most definitely will be trying. you know, when i actually have time to do fun stuff besides shave and sharpen :)

I know there are other resources out there, that go into much more detail, but his is visually stimulating to me ;)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I found this video a week or two ago, and once i find myself out of nursing school, this is something that i most definitely will be trying. you know, when i actually have time to do fun stuff besides shave and sharpen :)

I know there are other resources out there, that go into much more detail, but his is visually stimulating to me ;)
Near the very end, when he squeezed his brisket, I became very jealous. I want a brisket to squeeze :)

I’ve put in a slab of goat.
Thanks for the inspiration. Have a big Bison flank thawing for making jerky....might think of doing the same to it before the marinade.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Thanks for the responses, guys!

and something damp to lay on it, cheesecloth, paper towels etc...

So ... do I wrap the meat closely, or just lay the cloth over lightly? Do I change it during the ageing process, or leave it all the way through?

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Brilliant video Jack.

I think the size of the piece of meat you are dry aging is important. I.e. the typical supermarket cut of steak is likely way too thin. Sorry if I'm saying something way too obvious.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Brilliant video Jack.

I think the size of the piece of meat you are dry aging is important. I.e. the typical supermarket cut of steak is likely way too thin. Sorry if I'm saying something way too obvious.
I was kind of wondering about that.

never having done it, this is what I've taken away from what I've found. the outer 1/2 inch or so should just be expected to be disposed of somehow as it will not be appropriate for eating (not by people anyways). Should be helpful when determining size. I've also heard it's exceptionally helpful for cuts that are not known for being tender as the curing helps to soften the meat. Someone with experience please let me know if this is correct?

Top Bottom